Timing belt renewal: age or mileage?

Everything about the R for potential owners.
chapel
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Dynaudio upgrade, reversing sensors, folding door mirrors, hill-hold footbrake, RNS 510 satnav.

Timing belt renewal: age or mileage?

Post by chapel »

My R is coming up to 6 years old, but has only covered 27,000 miles (yes, a shocking waste I know). So would a wise man change the cam belt? If wear is a matter of mileage it shouldn't be necessary, but if the rubber deteriorates over time irrespective of use, perhaps I should. I'd appreciate guidance from anyone who really knows about cam belt wear.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Timing belt renewal: age or mileage?

Post by Cuprabob »

VW UK recommend that it's changed every 5 years irrespective of mileage however if you check your service booklet it only gives a mileage for change. You pays your money you takes your chance.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/serv ... ge#details" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally I would get it changed along with the tensioner and water pump for peace of mind.
Boydie
In: Viper Green
Options: Cloth R Logo Sports Seats
Dynaudio sound system
RCD510 touch screen
Xenons with coming home function
Footwell lights
Media Pack
Privacy Glass
FBMFSW

Post by Boydie »

Mine has just turned 5 in December and I had mine done with only 25/6k miles on the clock
trevor
In: Viper Green
With a: DSG box
Options: Apple car play ,carnet , full leather, 280 bhp

Post by trevor »

Mine is 5 years and only 24k on the clock and it's going in next week for cam belt and tensioner and water pump at an independent VW garage not paying VW prices !!!
Scirocco. R. 280 Bhp mk3 DSG, viper green auto folding mirrors,Bluetooth,and all the rest a R has
Matty81

Post by Matty81 »

I know this is an old thread, but may I ask what price you were quoted by the indi garage? mines a 2011 with 36k miles so I guess It needs changing soon
Maisonian
In: Candy White
Options: RNS 510 & Dynaudio Soundpack
19" Talladega Alloys (Gunmetal grey)
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
Kerscher CF Front Lip Spoiler
Maxton Designs CF under runners
Dectane Litec Smoked Rear Lights
Forge Twin-take Induction Kit
GFB DV+
Modified Audi TTs Engine cover & peripherals

Post by Maisonian »

I got quoted £349 for cam belt & water pump through Inchcape VW about 1 month ago; I had an agreement through the people I bought it from that they'd honour that price following on from an online advert (that has expired without being taken down).

Outside of that pricing, I think they wanted about £470ish for both.

It's one of those things that are worth doing for peace of mind, think the figures they've updated to now we're 120,00 miles or 5 years between intervals. Might be expensive, but nowhere near full-engine-rebuild expensive if the belt goes ping!
Scirocco R - Converting Petrol into Fun via the Wallet.

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=22769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Matty81

Post by Matty81 »

yeah i was looking in the server book last night and it said to check it every 20k miles and change every 120k, but didnt mention anything about how time

Was that price you got quoted fitted? if so thats not bad
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Matty81 wrote:yeah i was looking in the server book last night and it said to check it every 20k miles and change every 120k, but didnt mention anything about how time

The time interval is a VW UK recommendation whereas the factory,vast per the service book, only stipulate a mileage. Some would say it's just a revenue generator for VW UK but you pays your money, you takes your chance.
Maisonian
In: Candy White
Options: RNS 510 & Dynaudio Soundpack
19" Talladega Alloys (Gunmetal grey)
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
Kerscher CF Front Lip Spoiler
Maxton Designs CF under runners
Dectane Litec Smoked Rear Lights
Forge Twin-take Induction Kit
GFB DV+
Modified Audi TTs Engine cover & peripherals

Post by Maisonian »

Matty81 wrote:yeah i was looking in the server book last night and it said to check it every 20k miles and change every 120k, but didnt mention anything about how time

Yeah, I paid £349 for the cam belt and water pump changed, done and dusted. They did 'forget' about the deal I had with the salesman in the first place, but a re-itemised bill later and I was skipping away with the engine all sorted for a half decent price.

And as mentioned, it's a bit of a roll of the dice once you get to the 'threshold'. Are the belts good for more than 5 years? Probably. But to be on the safe side it's worth doing; the longer between changes, the higher the chance that it'll snap and blitzkreig the entire engine's internals. 5 years/120k is probably when it's likely to START being at risk, and yes VW are in the business of making money, but buying a new motor because old one self destructed is going to me more of an expense!
Scirocco R - Converting Petrol into Fun via the Wallet.

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=22769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;