scirocco R manual or DSG

Everything about the R for potential owners.
Joshmccarthy8
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box

scirocco R manual or DSG

Post by Joshmccarthy8 »

Hi,
I have had a scirocco for a year and a half now, tdi 140 engine. Looking at getting the scirocco r at the moment, just want some more power and miss the sound. Was wondering what are people's thoughts on the manual or dsg box? Not sure if I would get bored of the dsg box as not the same feeling as the manual.

Cheers :yes:
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: scirocco R manual or DSG

Post by Cuprabob »

Manual vs DSG is such a personal thing, the only opinion that matters is your own. I hate autos and had a DSG R32 for 5 years and loved the DSG box. However, when I bought my Rocco I chose a manual for change. Wouldn't hesitate to opt for DSG next time.
3t3p
In: Viper Green
Options: R-tech Stage 1, Forge Twin take,19'' Talladegas, Rear sensors, Heated leather, RNS510 Satnav + Dynaudio, Tinted glass, LED Interior lighting, Electric folding mirrors, Custom mats, CBI Xenons, Yellowstuff pads

Post by 3t3p »

Just go to VW and say you're looking for an R at a certain price (they won't have one) then say 'what was that in the forecourt' and go drive a DSG scirocco.
I drove a diesel and the DSG was neat sure but it all felt too easy and disconnected for me.

Most people will come on here and wax lyrical about the DSG being a 'MUST' for the R as it suits its character.
I completely see what they mean but I still enjoy churning through the gears and doing rev-matching downshifts yourself is nice:D
The ratios are for sure shorter than normal sciroccos so find 1st to second a bit more difficult to get smooth. Nothing like hammering it in 3rd though:p

It all depends on how much changing gear means to you.

Benefits of DSG are better MPG, can remap without worrying about the clutch, faster to just about any speed, paddles are fun, better in traffic, makes a farting noise downshifting.

As for manual it is the last bastion of full control of your car IMO.

Having said ALL of that, my next car will be a dual clutch, maybe the DCT on an M4...
Stu13R
With a: DSG box
Options: Fully loaded including Recaro seats
20" Cades Shift alloys with 245/30/20 Michelin Cup Sport 2 tyres
VWR Tracksport Coilovers, anti lift, wishbones and engine/gearbox mounts
Turbo back BCS Sports Powervalve exhaust with race cat & wrapped downpipe
VWR air intake and Stage 2 APR map

Post by Stu13R »

I had a manual Tdi and now have a DSG R. Personally I prefer manual gearboxes as I find it much easier to be in control and feel connected to the road, despite the electronic steering.

Would I swap my DSG for a manual? The answer is no because it would seriously reduce the extra power I could add without becoming unreliable.

A personal choice and both have good points.
greg7728
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Viper Green

Post by greg7728 »

I have DSG and although had a few teething issues I think it gives you the option of how you want to drive, there's the triptronic manual, sport mode gear changes and standard drive for economy. As said above however it is a personal choice but I would test drive both and see what you like the feel of better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

If you are going to keep standard manual or dsg, if you are going to go modified you are likely to need to need to upgrade the clutch, in day to day driving at slow speeds these are harder work. DSG seems to cope better on modified cars given electonics are controlling it rather than a persons left leg.

Been there and done that on the upgraded clutch front, will cost £1k fitted which you will never get any return on DSG you will

Used to bang the manual drum but DSG can be involving once you have learnt how to drive it, after about 30mph i always use it in manual mode

I think you need to drive one for an hour or so and try it in manual, if you leave it in D you may not be blown away
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
SMB
Options: RNS510, Parking, Panoramic Roof, Deep Black, Heated Seats, Leather, Electric Drivers Seat, Dynaudio, 19", Colour display, Electric folding Mirrors, cruise, Parking Sensors

Post by SMB »

I chose a dsg when I went for a scirocco r coming from a manual golf gti.

At the time I expected to use it more around the m25 so auto was a good option for the crawl. I Now have not a love hate relationship but a love/ why did you change up then! Relationship. But I do think it's the right car for busy southern England roads. Just enough power to get around in.

With dsg the car even in std form (using paddles) is a rapid cross country car, and a cruiser in town on auto. It has 2 distinct characters, auto and manual. Auto frustrates me on the open road as it changes up too early for good progress once past 4th, so I revert to paddles. In town auto just takes the hassle away.

I still have 2 manual cars I drive regularly, so don't feel I'm missing out, and just sometimes the R is just that more relaxed drive even when pressing on.

As said go for a test drive for a long time, learn to drive in manual mode, and compare to auto, it's not a slush box so don't expect completely unnoticeable changes when slowing , 3-2, 2-1 etc, the engine breaking in auto is noticeable. Try manual down changes flipping down when revs reach 1500rpm, they should feel smoother. Don't try the 7 speed 1.4, try a 2.0 petrol its closest to the R, but will miss the excitement over 1800 rpm.
andyy
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by andyy »

Imo.. For a Scirocco R / golf 6R (I have test driven both manual and dsg) I would chose manual. Unless you spend most of your time in traffic.
Joshmccarthy8

Post by Joshmccarthy8 »

Thanks for all the comments :yes:
going to look at the r tomorrow in manual, but I will defiantly test drive the r or 2.0 tsi in dsg depending on what they have.
You mentioned about the power and clutch upgrade in a manual, I am looking at getting turbo back exhaust, air filter and stage 1 remap when get around to it, what sort or power can you go to without changing the clutch?

Once again thanks everyone :)
Stu13R
Options: Fully loaded including Recaro seats
20" Cades Shift alloys with 245/30/20 Michelin Cup Sport 2 tyres
VWR Tracksport Coilovers, anti lift, wishbones and engine/gearbox mounts
Turbo back BCS Sports Powervalve exhaust with race cat & wrapped downpipe
VWR air intake and Stage 2 APR map

Post by Stu13R »

Joshmccarthy8 wrote:Thanks for all the comments :yes:
going to look at the r tomorrow in manual, but I will defiantly test drive the r or 2.0 tsi in dsg depending on what they have.
You mentioned about the power and clutch upgrade in a manual, I am looking at getting turbo back exhaust, air filter and stage 1 remap when get around to it, what sort or power can you go to without changing the clutch?

Once again thanks everyone :)
On stage 1 and the basics I doubt you would have a problem with the standard clutch. I had a manual previously with a stage 1 and no issues at all.

My view even when going more power is to see how it goes and if you start to get slippage get an uprated clutch. I've had a larger turbo car before that went 15k before any issue and I know someone with a standard R who's clutch went at 10k (1 year old).

It's often down to luck and how hard you drive your car. Standing starts are the worst.
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

plenty on here who have had to upgrade clutches on the R at Stage 1, its not just standing starts that kill them its riding the peak torque curve rather than dropping it down a gear, there is no science to how long they last seen 10k, 20k and 60k, my Ed35 had done about 20k of mapped miles and was treated with kid gloves, my view was if it went i'd get a proper diff done at the same time rather than the woeful xds which struggles when you increase the power

this is the great thing about dsg in manual mode you don't become lazy and actually drive a car properly

if you are going to change the clutch make sure you dmf as well as if not you are likely to get another bill

most tend to drive until it starts slipping, on maps like Revo as least you can use the SPS to adjust the boost down a little to prevent slipping in the interim

the tsi in the roc GT is more brutal on clutches that the CDL in the R due to the power and torque delivery when mapped at stage 1 as they tend to have higher torque figures
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
Gmanr

Post by Gmanr »

Dsg all the way!
Fearon15

Post by Fearon15 »

I have the DSG personal preference and i can tell you theirs no massive difference i have compared it to the manual also i like a laid back journey especially coming back from work in london traffic seen people stall sports cars its not the one

when your car jumps forward lol it can happen to the best drivers when your fatigued or not focused . many sports cars are being bought in

automatic these days and the DSG is one of the best auto gearbox out on the market , its very smooth and reacts quickly when in sports mode believe me ive had many auto sports cars this ones up their in the top 3 maybe 1st. your able to

shift gears through the flappy paddle

shifts on the steering wheel when ever you feel the instant need for speed on short twisty roads, lane changing or high speed deep focus motorway runs or DSG gears up and down also spot on very reactive when overtaking in sports mode :).

compare it and see what you think is very hard to find one to test drive as they are rare and dealers dont usually stock them due to cost to display heads up :)