R disappointment

Everything about the R for potential owners.
jonallen628
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Vienna Leather, 19" Talladegas, RNS-510, 6CD, Dynaudio, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Electric Drivers Seat.

Re: R disappointment

Post by jonallen628 »

bianco wrote::?
Mine is leather all around.
If You buy the (combination that only includes) part leather, then dont complain about the cloth part ;)
You mis-understood, in the UK we have the Vienna Leather interior option only not the part leather interior like the "catch up" spec availible in Europe. However with the Vienna leather interior parts of the seat are still cloth or vinyl. Traditionally VW use vinyl on the backs of the seats and outer faces that the occupant does not sit on. All of the front faces are usually leather. However on the Scirocco i think it must be a first for VW but the one panel on each seat is cloth. Check your seats, its the panel that is next to the centre console.

We are getting a little off topic now.
08/11 - 12/13 2.0 TSI R DSG, Black / Black Vienna
01/09 - 08/11 2.0 TSI GT DSG, Black / Truffle Vienna

Black is the new Black....
Bushiee

Post by Bushiee »

Yeh back on topic, Scirocco R is a waste of time lol :lol:
Andy-GTI
Options: R

Post by Andy-GTI »

The cloth inner piece is hardly a big deal, its for practicality reasons, the bolster could easily rub the centre consol. . . . Not worth getting worked up about really.
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

Bushiee wrote:VW have been lazy by fitting the MKV TSI in the R IMO, the output is higher on torque and bhp with a simple chip on the new TSI in the Scirocco GT, the car looks good but i think VW are counting on people buying it for its looks over outright performance.

I personally wouldnt bother with the R, it appears to be a bit of a tarts handbag
Buishee, welcome however i couldn't disagree with you more, i don't think VW have been lazy, i think the engine and ancillaries is spot on, essentailly it looks like the same set up as the S3 so a bit more than the K04 setup up in Golf, anyone who has driven a S3 wil not knock the engine performance (more that its a very dull car to drive and not engaging), in reality the R is getting attention from performance orientated people given the tuning potential of the car and that engine, somthing you cannot do with a GT without throwing cash at it, its not all about power numbers, its about the complete package and how it put the power down (you will get torque steer in a remapped GT for instance), i'm sure the R will not lack for straight line performance the issue is how well the electronic diff works and how well the car can put the power down, looks wise it looks more resolved than the GT

i've been contemplating the scirocco against our GTI (with that engine) taking looks out of the equation (and the attention thing if that floats your boat) and based on performance i always seem to go for the GTI and have worked out why, i prefer the engine (when its remapped it will be game over), i prefer the weight of the steering and feedback and the way it puts its power down, the seats which grip more (even though you sit higher and less sense of occassion i get a better driving position), indeed it got to the point where if the right late 3 door gti pirelli (highly unlikely given production numbers) comes along at the moment i would trade in the roc

the issue of ACC is intersting as its been a limiting factor for those wanting to do suspension upgrades on our rocs and not wanting to ditch it, i think VW are spot on making it an option on the GTI and think they should make it an option on the R
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
Bushiee

Post by Bushiee »

Fair reply, i dont doubt the old engine is good its just part of me cant help thinking VW shouldve just gone with the original formula and put in a 3.2 or 3.6 6 cylinder with 4 wd that would make the whole car feel amazing and a real occasion to drive in terms of feel and sound as well as performance of course.

A R version shouldnt be limited in capacity to satisfy MPG and emmisions, it should be 100% about the driving experience.
CTRnutter
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Winter Pack, Leather, Alu Pedals, GT Steering Wheel Badge, Side Sills, Superchips Re-Map, Milltek Non-Res, K&N Induction Kit

Post by CTRnutter »

Bushiee wrote:Fair reply, i dont doubt the old engine is good its just part of me cant help thinking VW shouldve just gone with the original formula and put in a 3.2 or 3.6 6 cylinder with 4 wd that would make the whole car feel amazing and a real occasion to drive in terms of feel and sound as well as performance of course.

A R version shouldnt be limited in capacity to satisfy MPG and emmisions, it should be 100% about the driving experience.
you are 100% right it shouldnt be but the way goverments leaning on car manafacturers is one of the problems and althouh most of us here would pay £400 a year road tax and awful lot of people dont want to.

At the end of the day they want to sell cars and they want to sell high volumes, believe it or not it wouldnt surprise me if they made hardly any money on the R models vs a 5dr 1.6 :)
Car is now Sold!!!!! BMW 7 Series for now as nice and big but holding out for something a little special as my toy :)
Evil Derboy
With a: Manual box
Options: Leather • Nav

Post by Evil Derboy »

Bushiee wrote:Fair reply, i dont doubt the old engine is good its just part of me cant help thinking VW shouldve just gone with the original formula and put in a 3.2 or 3.6 6 cylinder with 4 wd that would make the whole car feel amazing and a real occasion to drive in terms of feel and sound as well as performance of course.

First and foremost VW is a business. A business that's designed to make money. Therefore they have to make their cars fit into the emissions boxes that governments across the world are now targetting. If you're "100% about the driving experience" you're not going to buy a £25k Volkswagen. You're going to buy something else. So let's not forget who the target market is here. It's certainly not the "money is no object. I don't mind paying a fortune in tax and running costs brigade" because that market won't buy a Scirocco they'll buy something more expensive. Something that's more reknowned for being "100% about the driving experience".

For that reason VW have to take into account taxation and running costs. As Mr Average Joe Public (who is looking at this kind of motor and wants a bit of poke but doesn't want to spend a fortune) certainly will. Let's not forget what we're talking about here. It's a VW not a Ferrari. And yes there are some people who are exceptions but VW aren't going to make very much money by targetting those and those alone.
JMcQueen
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140

Post by JMcQueen »

Im glad its not just me who's a little unsure on the sciroccos handling. I had one from the dealer for a day a few weeks back and thought it very capable but not quite as fluid as my mk5 Golf. Then when I got back in the Golf at the end of the day it just felt much easier to drive it quickly than the scirocco did.

I put this down to familiarity of the Golf, better tyres, bedded in engine etc but it really left me questioning if the scirocco should be my next car or not. The Mk6 GTI is too dear, for example using drivethedeal a new S3 can be had for not much more than a reasonably well specced Golf. Dull drive or not, the Audi has to win that one, if it wasnt for the fact a new A3 is due in a year or so it would be much more tempting.

So that then leaves me looking at the likes of used examples of more expensive cars (Z4M Coupe, 335d, Caymen, 350z, A5, Audi TTS). Really not sure anymore. The Scirocco has it on price (24k as I specced) but Im starting to think I should just save for a bit longer and get something else.
Candy Monster
In: Candy White
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, DVD Nav, Premium Sills, Alloy pedals, Boot Liner, Custom GT Mats, GT badge, 20s, Cruise, R32 trim, Silver 'A pieces', debadged, White VW badges, Eibach springs, Revo, custom enginge cover, custom air dam, orange rub strips

Post by Candy Monster »

Surely recaros will at least be an option on the R. Disappointed to see that the same seats are in there and that the accessory body kit we get isn't the same as the R, looks awesome.

A bit worried about 2.0 residuals now but don't think the R is not worth the extra money given you can have same power for the cost of a remap and exhaust.
HA54SYM

Post by HA54SYM »

Interesting coments being made, very very similar comments that was made before the ED30 came out on the mkv5 GTi forums by owners, so read into that what you will.

Best comment I have seen, and what I very much agree with is, that for ED30 owners who wanted a Rocco then this is the better option, but only at the moment. Lets not all forget we should be getting a Golf R too, and that has been tipped to be AWD.

I like this Rocco R and will get one, dependant on price snd drive to replace my ED30.

Keep the comments coming, its all good reading.

Dave
wigit

Post by wigit »

HA54SYM wrote:Interesting coments being made, very very similar comments that was made before the ED30 came out on the mkv5 GTi forums by owners, so read into that what you will.

Best comment I have seen, and what I very much agree with is, that for ED30 owners who wanted a Rocco then this is the better option, but only at the moment. Lets not all forget we should be getting a Golf R too, and that has been tipped to be AWD.

I like this Rocco R and will get one, dependant on price snd drive to replace my ED30.

Keep the comments coming, its all good reading.

Dave
think you've hit the nail on the head, don't sell the Ed30 for a GT
Bushiee

Post by Bushiee »

To be expected really, it is mildly annoying when you buy a model and then a better model comes out but the price reflects that and if they were all the same price of course you would go for the best looking/ highest powered variant.

If it was 20k i would have the R but i personally couldnt justify the extra cash.

Was looking at the passat R36 today, now that is a motor to get the blood going!
veeedubba
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
Options: Heated Leather cruise parking sensors folding mirrors

Post by veeedubba »

I think its been summed up well about making fast progress in the scirocco, compared to the Golf Gti it seems to be a bit of a drama whereas the Golf did it without batting an eyelid and without the twitchiness. The feel is totally different. Getting back on topic I was tempted with the R20 at launch purely on the bucket Recaros but I was relieved to see the Max power wing had disappeared.
gc76

Post by gc76 »

CTRnutter wrote:At the moment if I am 100% honest the scirocco will be going and when they start delivery on the 59 plate I will be buying the Mk VI GTi unless the scirocco blows me away
I think that could be the case for me too. Just taken out a MK6 GTI and thought it was fantastic, its just that bit better than the current scirocco. Which the price reflects. Hoping the R is something special
wigit

Post by wigit »

gc76 wrote:
CTRnutter wrote:At the moment if I am 100% honest the scirocco will be going and when they start delivery on the 59 plate I will be buying the Mk VI GTi unless the scirocco blows me away
I think that could be the case for me too. Just taken out a MK6 GTI and thought it was fantastic, its just that bit better than the current scirocco. Which the price reflects. Hoping the R is something special
gc76 agree with you as does my dealer :yes:
gc76

Post by gc76 »

andy wrote:
When I spoke to the dealer today I told him that my purchase would be between the GTI or the Scirocco R and because I wont be ordering till at least a 59 plate he said he was going to try and dig around for some details about the R. He also told me that someone has already tried to order a golf R and place a deposit which they couldnt do.
wigit

Post by wigit »

gc76 wrote:
andy wrote:
When I spoke to the dealer today I told him that my purchase would be between the GTI or the Scirocco R and because I wont be ordering till at least a 59 plate he said he was going to try and dig around for some details about the R. He also told me that someone has already tried to order a golf R and place a deposit which they couldnt do.
my dealer's advice was wait for the Golf R and then decide (to buy the golf R), both are try before you buy cars imho i ain't in a rush to be first to have one on the driveway this time
gc76

Post by gc76 »

andy wrote:
gc76 wrote:
andy wrote:
my dealer's advice was wait for the Golf R and then decide (to buy the golf R), both are try before you buy cars imho i ain't in a rush to be first to have one on the driveway this time
Did your dealer have any idea when the golf R is due out?
wigit

Post by wigit »

he didn't, Q4 2010 would suit me

rumour mill surrounding that car, just to fuel fire to that 5 cylinder TTRS engine would be rather nice but lets not be greedy
true
Options: .
Heated Anthracite Leather
RNS-510 with 6 CD changer
17" Spa alloy wheels
Premium mats
Covered cupholder
Debadged rear
Cruise control

Post by true »

andy wrote:he didn't, Q4 2010 would suit me

rumour mill surrounding that car, just to fuel fire to that 5 cylinder TTRS engine would be rather nice but lets not be greedy
I'd say chances of that engine finding itself in a Golf or Scirocco are slim to none.