Scriocco R Advice - Just about to part with £36k

Everything about the R for potential owners.
drmyers
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: SatNav, Leather (Truffle), Wint Pack, Girl Sensors, Smoking pack, Mats, Tele Prep, Tyre Pressure,

Scriocco R Advice - Just about to part with £36k

Post by drmyers »

Hi Guys

I'm back after a few years, missed this forum... last time I was on here I had a ROC GT In white however need some advice as I'm about to puchase a new one.
Went onto Carwow and got a a few quotes, from £37 down to £31095 brand spanking new, with the following extras

- Fold Mirror
- Crusie
- Keyless Entry
- RNS510 Upgrade
- Smoking Pack, as it makes the centre console look complete
- 90% Darkened windows (Not thats worth it)
- Three Servicing

Question1 - is this a Good deal? I think so, and does the R come with kick plates as they were an option, but on some reviews online they seem to come as standard. :?
Question2 - The dealer said this is a new version being released in Nov 2014??? Is that true, and do you think there will be a revamp styling? it was 2010 when I had my old one and nothing significant has changed

Thanks
Regards
Arsenl4eva
I drive a: Scirocco R
With a: DSG box
Options: Revo stage 2+ air ride suspension
Bcs/akrapovic exhaust
scirocco cup spoiler
kerscher front splitter
boca rear diffuser
carbon mirrors

Re: Scriocco R Advice - Just about to part with £36k

Post by Arsenl4eva »

Would you go for a second hand r and the money you would save you could add things to it
drmyers
Options: SatNav, Leather (Truffle), Wint Pack, Girl Sensors, Smoking pack, Mats, Tele Prep, Tyre Pressure,

Post by drmyers »

Hi, no I'm afraid not...people have said the same, and yes I will lose a lot of VAT on the car, but owning from absolute new with 10 - 20 miles on the clock is a lovely thing. Also extras as well, some second hand R's may not have the extra's I like.

I did it last time and didn't look back in all honesty, my last ROC cost me just shy of £25k with all the extras I added on, and 3 years down the line sold it for £15.5k on autotrader....so not an amazing loss..

Have my heart set on it... you must know what that feelings like.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

You are happy with the deal and it's tbe car you want, then what does it matter what any one else thinks. Go for it.

But since you've asked, if I was spending that money on a new car it woyld be a Golf R or a BMW M235i.

To answer your question, yes there was a facelift launched towards the end of last year. Styling changes plus 3 dials on the top of the dash along with a slight power increase are the difference
drmyers

Post by drmyers »

Hi, thanks for your reply,

I have considered other options, including the VXR and the Focus, even contemplated going mad for the new Mustang they are bringing to the UK. However one thing I forgot to mentioned was back in 2010 when Scriocco's were not that common I think. I got a number plate S50CCO for my old Roc, which I still have and would like to add on. Not sure on its value now :(

The Golf was a close call, with a better and modern interior and more extra gadgets such as (Proximity sensors, Radar I Think) but I just like the Roc shape... and I don't have a family, single guy you see... Never been a lover of BM's Sorry....just over rated, but that's my own opinion.

Great thanks for confirming your last part, what about Kick plates??? they must come with it ? or is another extra I will need to get next week, that's If I make my order..:)
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Sorry I don't know about the kick plates but I'm sure a flick through the brochure or ask the sales man / woman to confirm.
Stu13R
Options: Fully loaded including Recaro seats
20" Cades Shift alloys with 245/30/20 Michelin Cup Sport 2 tyres
VWR Tracksport Coilovers, anti lift, wishbones and engine/gearbox mounts
Turbo back BCS Sports Powervalve exhaust with race cat & wrapped downpipe
VWR air intake and Stage 2 APR map

Post by Stu13R »

drmyers wrote:Hi, thanks for your reply,

I have considered other options, including the VXR and the Focus, even contemplated going mad for the new Mustang they are bringing to the UK. However one thing I forgot to mentioned was back in 2010 when Scriocco's were not that common I think. I got a number plate S50CCO for my old Roc, which I still have and would like to add on. Not sure on its value now :(

The Golf was a close call, with a better and modern interior and more extra gadgets such as (Proximity sensors, Radar I Think) but I just like the Roc shape... and I don't have a family, single guy you see... Never been a lover of BM's Sorry....just over rated, but that's my own opinion.

Great thanks for confirming your last part, what about Kick plates??? they must come with it ? or is another extra I will need to get next week, that's If I make my order..:)
I went for a new R myself and have 5 weeks left to wait. This is the first brand new car I will have owned and you are right it's worth the extra if you can afford it. You also know how it's been treated and it's not had accident damage.

I looked at the Golf also but seeing one next to my R Line it just looked average and I know I would have gone off it. I drove a Nissan GTR last year and seriously considered buying one but even with such great performance I couldn't get past the fact it is butt ugly. I looked at the Mustang after being so surprised how cheap they are. Read some views from owners saying handling was worse than their other previous cars including a Focus ST owner and the fact the actual mpg can be down to as low as 12 :eyepop:

I thought it comes with R kick plates as standard. Nice spec, I went for similar except no smokers pack and I added Recaro seats. I have 3 children but luckily the wife has a car and I'm not bothered about back doors. Besides I sit in the drivers seat :clap:
drmyers

Post by drmyers »

Hi, thanks for your reply...

Yeah I'm again not a GTR fan either, I know they are fast, but most cars (I think ) are limited by law to 155 and I'm not that insane anymore...reach 40 and sensible ish driving comes into play

Thank you all for helping with my questions, I'm sure I have more in the future. Just need to haggle with the dealers now and bring the price down a little more if I can.

Roc on everyone :)

Darren
Arsenl4eva
Options: Revo stage 2+ air ride suspension
Bcs/akrapovic exhaust
scirocco cup spoiler
kerscher front splitter
boca rear diffuser
carbon mirrors

Post by Arsenl4eva »

I'd go for the one you really want and whatever you do get enjoy it mate
xjay1337
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

It's your money so only you can really know for sure.
I'd buy a used one anyway. The older pre facelift R's look a lot better IMO.
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
skippy
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

Question2 - The dealer said this is a new version being released in Nov 2014??? Is that true, and do you think there will be a revamp styling? it was 2010 when I had my old one and nothing significant has changed
Think the date there was supposed to read Nov 2015, but I am not aware of a new version being released this November. The facelift version has only been on the market since September 2014, so I would expect this to hold now until the all new MQB platform Scirocco makes its debut which is rumoured to be in about 2017.

You will be getting an awesome car (goes without saying), and I would like to think that the car has been 'perfected' with niggles and other issues ironed out , now that it is getting towards the end of its production run (albeit at least 2 years away yet).
SMB
In: Deep Black
Options: RNS510, Parking, Panoramic Roof, Deep Black, Heated Seats, Leather, Electric Drivers Seat, Dynaudio, 19", Colour display, Electric folding Mirrors, cruise, Parking Sensors

Post by SMB »

So I found a car of similar spec to that you want back in 2013 ( at the time the spec was everything except the recaro seats).
I found it as a pre registered car at a Vw dealer which knocked the vat off and then negotiated from there. At the time I wanted shot of my mk5 gti ( badly repaired after 2 non fault accidents) otherwise I would have kept it.

As others have said if you can afford it and it's what you want get it,
Stu13R
Options: Fully loaded including Recaro seats
20" Cades Shift alloys with 245/30/20 Michelin Cup Sport 2 tyres
VWR Tracksport Coilovers, anti lift, wishbones and engine/gearbox mounts
Turbo back BCS Sports Powervalve exhaust with race cat & wrapped downpipe
VWR air intake and Stage 2 APR map

Post by Stu13R »

Pre registered is good but personally I'd avoid a demo car that is sporty. Imagine a 6 month old car with 4k of test drives where everyone has hammered it.
I actually drove over 10 sporty cars before ordering a Roc and I hammered all of them worse than I'd drive my own :)

No point buying if you don't see what they are really likey.
whiteDevil_170
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

As said its your money so buy what you want. If you want an r then go for it. Personally I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a car and if I did it wouldn't be a roc r.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
SMB
In: Deep Black
Options: RNS510, Parking, Panoramic Roof, Deep Black, Heated Seats, Leather, Electric Drivers Seat, Dynaudio, 19", Colour display, Electric folding Mirrors, cruise, Parking Sensors

Post by SMB »

Stu13R wrote:Pre registered is good but personally I'd avoid a demo car that is sporty. Imagine a 6 month old car with 4k of test drives where everyone has hammered it.
I actually drove over 10 sporty cars before ordering a Roc and I hammered all of them worse than I'd drive my own :)

No point buying if you don't see what they are really likey.
I would agree if it was a demo, but there are signs you can look for to indicate if it was that or a managers car, depends if it truly was a managers car or one for demo. Things like front tyre wear, seat bolster wear etc can give you some good clues. No different to checking out any other car. Mines wearing it's original tyres well and not using a drop of oil, so I think my assessment was right.
drmyers

Post by drmyers »

Promise last mail for this Post:

I finally took the plunge this week and placed my deposit for my Scriocco R...

However I now have to wait 5 months? Which is not too bad as I can reduce the PCP by adding more money to the deposit I already paid.

Thanks for all your advise and suggestions guys...
Tallguy

Post by Tallguy »

The Scirocco R is a great car but if you pay £30k plus for one you will be hammered on depreciation. If you shop around and maybe wait a few months I would expect to be able to negotiate a pre-registered car for £25/£26k.
drmyers

Post by drmyers »

Hi, thanks for the advice however I couldn't because VW were contributing £1500 so I was pressured into making a decision.

However I didn't do too bad, I managed to get it just under £32k that's with a host of extra's as well.
andyy
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by andyy »

The £1,500 contribution has been available since the facelift became available and it will probably continue to be available. I will be ordering a new R via orangewheels later this yr. My local dealership have agreed to match the deal so that may be a route to go down?
drmyers

Post by drmyers »

Never heard of orange wheels, are they similar to Carwow? they were the people I used to get quotes from. And they ranged from £36k with my spec and extras down to £32k. I'm happy I got mine then with the new Facelift, rumours have it of full change in 2017.