4wd

Everything about the R for potential owners.
Stu13R
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Fully loaded including Recaro seats
20" Cades Shift alloys with 245/30/20 Michelin Cup Sport 2 tyres
VWR Tracksport Coilovers, anti lift, wishbones and engine/gearbox mounts
Turbo back BCS Sports Powervalve exhaust with race cat & wrapped downpipe
VWR air intake and Stage 2 APR map

4wd

Post by Stu13R »

I have been looking for a company that could do 4wd set up on my new R and not had any joy.

On the net there is the R-Performance one which ran 4.2 sec 0-60 with only 360hp. I have tried contacting them 3 times now and didn't even get a reply on whether they still sell that set up. Sounder spot on with the 7 speed gearbox as well.

Anyone considered this or will I have to wait 2-3 years until one gets brought out?
Last edited by Stu13R on Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
roc82
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
With a: Manual box

Re: 4wd

Post by roc82 »

It is indeed an impressive project, but there are very few informations about it.
Would be interested to know what is the cost to transform it from 2wd to 4wd, and how reliable it would be afterwards.
Stu13R

Post by Stu13R »

roc82 wrote:It is indeed an impressive project, but there are very few informations about it.
Would be interested to know what is the cost to transform it from 2wd to 4wd, and how reliable it would be afterwards.
I'm not worried about reliability because the hardware used is already on VW group vehicles. For instance if you had the set up used in an Audi TT you would know what power handling capabilities it has already.
Luke.08
In: Oryx White
Options: Pano roof. Winter pack. RNS510 with dab radio. Dynaudio. cruise control. Bi-Xenon headlights. Folding mirrors. Colour MFD, Recaro seats

Post by Luke.08 »

R performance probably havnt replyed as they are in poland. 2nd that in the vid isnt even a real R.
roc82
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI

Post by roc82 »

@stu13r
If you receive more information concerning the transformation to 4wd (especially the cost of it), please do share.
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

Plenty people who can do this, AKS Tuning are doing this to their Octavia and KPM Racing did this to Milltek's Jetta and a few Leon's are floating around
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
Stu13R

Post by Stu13R »

wigit wrote:Plenty people who can do this, AKS Tuning are doing this to their Octavia and KPM Racing did this to Milltek's Jetta and a few Leon's are floating around
Thanks Wigit

A 4wd Rocco is a dream car in my opinion.

I did speak to Statller today about this and they said the only way is to replace the entire drive train for a second hand set from a car with 4wd already. I'm not kean to get a brand new R and junk the engine and wiring looms/ecus etc.
wigit

Post by wigit »

Stu13R wrote:
wigit wrote:Plenty people who can do this, AKS Tuning are doing this to their Octavia and KPM Racing did this to Milltek's Jetta and a few Leon's are floating around
Thanks Wigit

A 4wd Rocco is a dream car in my opinion.

I did speak to Statller today about this and they said the only way is to replace the entire drive train for a second hand set from a car with 4wd already. I'm not kean to get a brand new R and junk the engine and wiring looms/ecus etc.
Agreed if i was going to do this i'd be looking for a 10 plater and looking for some Golf Rs or S3 where drivers had run out of talent
Stu13R

Post by Stu13R »

I have emailed both companies and will do an update when I hear back.
b0rk
In: Candy White
Options: Used to have an R...

Post by b0rk »

You shouldn't need to change the engine or box with a AWD conversion.

However I can't recall the rocco floor and transmission tunnel having been sized for a rear drive shaft so you would have to fabricate a new floor which would be a down the shell interior out job plus lots of welding probably not best thing to do to a new car.

I agree with Wigit I'd start with a 10 plate base and a talent failure Golf/S3 donor or even better a talent failure base. IIRC KPM started with a pair of talent failures to make the Milltek Jetta. I'd be interested to learn the cost of such a mod excluding the donor as I suspect it's serious £££ in labour terms.
Stu13R

Post by Stu13R »

b0rk wrote:You shouldn't need to change the engine or box with a AWD conversion.
I may be dumb here but how can I use the gearbox I have? I have a ex army landrover and can see there are different outputs and couldn't see where a prop to rear diff would attach.
wigit

Post by wigit »

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index ... 7.165.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty good summary of what is needed
Luke.08
In: Oryx White
Options: Pano roof. Winter pack. RNS510 with dab radio. Dynaudio. cruise control. Bi-Xenon headlights. Folding mirrors. Colour MFD, Recaro seats

Post by Luke.08 »

thats a good read. some serious work there. the cost of this would be astronomical. just in labour alone would be through the roof. in my opinion its not worth it on a brand new car. if it was a track only car i would say yes.
Stu13R

Post by Stu13R »

I have spoken to 3 companies now and you can expect to pay 15k, if you have all the correct additional hardware to support.
Mltyson89
Options: Sat nav, phone prep & iPod connection, Decatane led tail lights, VW cup spoiler, Black badges, rotiform 19's, Scorpion decat exhaust, Forge twin cooler, induction, blow off valve, APRacing brakes, Sasch clutch upgrade, MSS Lowering Kit, Wavetec LSD, Loba HPFP & stage 2+ Revo Software.

Post by Mltyson89 »

If you go for a good differential like wavetec and a good suspension set up do you really need 4wd. It's certainly worth considering I did not realise how much of a difference the diff makes its really worth thinking about! Suspension and diff is easily achievable on 2k budget you'll feel a huge difference!
Stu13R

Post by Stu13R »

Mltyson89 wrote:If you go for a good differential like wavetec and a good suspension set up do you really need 4wd. It's certainly worth considering I did not realise how much of a difference the diff makes its really worth thinking about! Suspension and diff is easily achievable on 2k budget you'll feel a huge difference!
Firstly you have a really nice mod list mate. What HP are you putting out and any idea what your 0-60 is?

It all depends on how much available money I have this year. If I could afford 4wd and stage 3 with K04 hybrid/engine internals then I would want to go the full hog. It's that difficult choice because no point me buying a wavetrack if I end up changing to 4wd. You can still get wavetrack diff on the 4wd but it's a different one.
Mltyson89
Options: Sat nav, phone prep & iPod connection, Decatane led tail lights, VW cup spoiler, Black badges, rotiform 19's, Scorpion decat exhaust, Forge twin cooler, induction, blow off valve, APRacing brakes, Sasch clutch upgrade, MSS Lowering Kit, Wavetec LSD, Loba HPFP & stage 2+ Revo Software.

Post by Mltyson89 »

Im pushing around 350 on both fronts which I can say is plenty enough to handle! I see your sitting on 20's as well surely your handling is nowhere near as good I was advised not to go past 18's but the 19's looked so much better :D. The 4 wheel drive mod would be awesome but all i'm saying is for far less money the diff with a good suspension set up will provide you with everything you need. Just hold tight until we do a Southampton meet say early April il take you for a spin let the products do the talking its unbelievable how good these diffs are!
Stu13R

Post by Stu13R »

Mltyson89 wrote:Im pushing around 350 on both fronts which I can say is plenty enough to handle! I see your sitting on 20's as well surely your handling is nowhere near as good I was advised not to go past 18's but the 19's looked so much better :D. The 4 wheel drive mod would be awesome but all i'm saying is for far less money the diff with a good suspension set up will provide you with everything you need. Just hold tight until we do a Southampton meet say early April il take you for a spin let the products do the talking its unbelievable how good these diffs are!
That would be great to go out in yours mate. I've not been in one with a wave track diff before.

I had 19s already and I can say 20s with 245/30 tyres handles better. I did swap the springs at the same time but it's a noticeable difference to standard.
James321
Options: REVO Stage 2+, Bilstein B16 iRC, Supalloy Wishbones, Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust, Revo Intake, EuroJet Intercooler. (Wife's car)
I'm in an RS5

Post by James321 »

Just typed out a huge reply only for it to crash when I posted it and I really can't be bothered to do it all again :grumpy:

In short, £2k isn't a big enough budget to make the scirocco a 4WD equivalent but it's not far off

Wavetrac diff £850
Bilstein PSS10 £1500
Supalloy wishbones £540

That little lot will make a fantastic handling car.

I had posted links to everything but it all got lost somewhere in the interweb.
RS5, Scirocco R. You can never have enough R's
Stu13R

Post by Stu13R »

James321 wrote:Just typed out a huge reply only for it to crash when I posted it and I really can't be bothered to do it all again :grumpy:

In short, £2k isn't a big enough budget to make the scirocco a 4WD equivalent but it's not far off

Wavetrac diff £850
Bilstein PSS10 £1500
Supalloy wishbones £540

That little lot will make a fantastic handling car.

I had posted links to everything but it all got lost somewhere in the interweb.