Running in a new car?

Everything about the R for potential owners.
eightyeightmph
In: Pure White
With a: Manual box
Options: Mk 7 GOLF GTD
Pano roof

Running in a new car?

Post by eightyeightmph »

I've searched the forum with not much look, before I approach the dealer can anyone point me toward any information on running in a new R?

Do the engines need a running in period or is like the Mini's and done in the factory?

Any help appreciated.
2016 GOLF GTD
1966 Beetle (resto...one day)
l-plate
I drive a: Scirocco R
With a: DSG box

Re: Running in a new car?

Post by l-plate »

Pretty sure it's in the handbook, something like 1000miles, 1500km. Believe would be part run in at factory but best not to over rev until completed the specified mileage.

Then you can enjoy the car, :yes:
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Avoid full throttle, don't let the engine labour and vary engine speed as much as possible for the first 1,000 miles. Also keep an eye on the oil level as the engine can use a little oil in it's early life.

Also it's not just the engine that's new. The tyres and brakes need time to bed in too.
eightyeightmph
In: Pure White
Options: Mk 7 GOLF GTD
Pano roof

Post by eightyeightmph »

Thank you for the advice. Agreed, running gear is a given, just curious as to the engine.

I spoke to the dealership on Friday (my salesman) and he said it's good to go as soon as it's off the truck :rolleyes:

I'll have a good read of the manual before I give it any beans, thanks again :yes:
2016 GOLF GTD
1966 Beetle (resto...one day)
Bluefox
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
Options: Electric folding door mirrors Black finish. Smoking pack. Driver alert system. Life Shine Protection to Paintwork and Upholstery.

Post by Bluefox »

The handbook for my GT says you can run them in at 97% of top speed for 1,000.00 mls