Cracked head, 2010 R

Everything about the R for potential owners.
taffy
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Cracked head, 2010 R

Post by taffy »

Anyone else had any issues with heads cracking on the 265 R engine ?

My car has done 40k miles, I've only had it since 35k so can't say how it was treated before I had it but it's in Good shape for a 4 year old car. Seems a bit strange for lowish mileage, it's covered by warranty so VW are picking up the bill.
SMB
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: RNS510, Parking, Panoramic Roof, Deep Black, Heated Seats, Leather, Electric Drivers Seat, Dynaudio, 19", Colour display, Electric folding Mirrors, cruise, Parking Sensors

Re: Cracked head, 2010 R

Post by SMB »

I've not heard of any I either the scirocco or golf using this engine. What were the signs and any evidence in its prior service history.?
shshivji
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Opal Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: panoramic roof and cruise control

Post by shshivji »

Very strange, never heard of this on a tfsi!! Did it overheat???

Shak
taffy
In: Candy White

Post by taffy »

No real signs apart from a small coolant leak. It's been in 3 times for the coolant issue. They continually replaced the thermostat housing and were going to do so a 4th time but after a little bit of a kick off they investigated further and have replaced the head.It had cracked and warped and was leaking through the head gasket. It didn't over heat or idle/run lumpy and there was no noticeable loss in power.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

On my previous car, a MK5 R32, it started losing coolant at 4 years old / 65k miles and the cause was a porous block with a pinhole to the outside world. Thankfully VW replaced the engine free of charge.

Not heard of cracked heads but a few years ago a lot of Golfs, mainly diesels, seemed to suffer from porous heads.

Glad VW sorted your issue.