Remaps

Everything about the R for potential owners.
Jaffa14
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather seats, dsg, dynaudio soundsystem, 19 inch talladega, cruise control, parking sensors

Remaps

Post by Jaffa14 »

I'm just wondering if anyone has had a remap and what the effects are... Is it worth it or will
I just finish my tyres quicker! I'm no expert but I've heard too much power on front wheel drive is a waste of time. Also what effect does it have on mpg?
Ryy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Re: Remaps

Post by Ryy »

I have a 2.0TSI, You have an R.

If you're thinking about tyres etc when you have an R, seriously, ignore the remap.

If however, you want a permanent smile when you touch the throttle.

Remap, remap, remap.

Should be some deals now GTI is coming too
Jaffa14
Options: Leather seats, dsg, dynaudio soundsystem, 19 inch talladega, cruise control, parking sensors

Post by Jaffa14 »

I've just heard the remap is a tyre shredder although i was wondering what the effect would be in 3rd and 2nd although they would probably still be shredding in 2nd! It's great fun though! What do you mean about some deals as gti is coming?
whiteDevil_170
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

You'll find a lot of people on here have had remaps and even gone to stage 2 -3.
Depends how heavy footed you are . If you floor it all the time and from standing starts yes it will certainly wear your tyres down quicker. Gti international ... Tuning Company's have offers on around the time it's on . Like revo for example.
Last edited by whiteDevil_170 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
Jaffa14

Post by Jaffa14 »

Nice one I didn't know about the gti thing... What does a remap do for mpg? I've heard it makes it better I'm new to performance cars and tuning.
whiteDevil_170
In: Candy White
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Again depends on how you drive it. By Giving it some all the time of course the mpg won't increase. Some people have found it to increase mpg.

Tbh mate you have got an r.
If your worried about tyres wearing down quickly and mpg going down then I wouldn't get it remaped. Tyre wear and low mpg is something that should be expected from an R.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
Ryy
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

WD is pretty much re-iterating what I said.

Best opinion you can get when 2 people are saying the same thing.

God knows if you skimmed my post, but I mentioned the GTI thing too. You seriously need to weigh up 3 things.

Do you really need it?
Do you really want it? If so can you afford it?

If by those it's a "of course I can afford it and yeah I want it" - Problem solved. You certainly won't regret it based on what the remap did to my GT.
Jaffa14

Post by Jaffa14 »

I read your post that mentioned the gti but I didn't know what it was... I have since googled it so thanks for the info! I'm always really sceptical so I'm trying to find out as much info as possible cos I can't afford to get a new pai of tyres of every month but averaging 15 mpg at the minute and default slipping it into sport wherever I go would suggest I'm not really that bothered about fuel costs at the minute but I know nothing of remaps and try
Jaffa14

Post by Jaffa14 »

Trying to get info x
Ryy

Post by Ryy »

lol @ the "x"

You certainly won't be getting tyres as often as you probably worry.

Keep an eye on them, if you're over exerting, then dial it back a bit.

I find in mine now, I'm not so throttle happy (mainly as I'm driving it all the time due to another runner and I have started giving myself more time to get places rather than last minute etc). The MPG is remarkable. I easily get at least 3MPG more since the remap and driving it nicely.

I would recommend the SPS too. It's just the a tool that plugs into the port under your steering wheel so you can switch between modes (97 RON, 95 RON, stock map etc)

I'm quite sceptical, but it's a defo goer all day long. If I'm saying do it and recommending it, believe me, I've gone through the "shall, shan't I process just the same as you, if not more times)
Jaffa14

Post by Jaffa14 »

Hahaha cheers for the advice I used to have the 160 bhp petrol but wanted more power I was that sceptical about a remap that I ended up buying the r hahaha! So I've had two cars and both Rocco's and I love them! I did look at a porsche cayman but figured if miss the four seats when I need them... And honestly I can't find a better car for under 35 grande! I want to declare it to the insurance to so I need to decide before mid July when I'm up for renewal to give me a chance to have a good look at prices! Currently with quote me happy and thy don't deal with engine mods!

I've also been told to upgrade the exhaust for a better sound and then get it remapped after that I don't have. A clue though my brother in law has an r32 and he knows his stuff! I've never even heard of that thing under the steering wheel though!

What does switching between mods do cos I always full up with the premium petrol in this but u don't know if it even makes a difference but then I suppose it's only about 5 quid difference per full tank! Sorry about the kisses I go into text mode when I'm on my phone x
Ryy

Post by Ryy »

[youtube][/youtube]

That is the SPS.

It's different map modes. I have mine set on the 97 RON as I too use Premium fuel. Tesco Momentum or Shell.

Try Sky Insurance, because you're on here too, give them your name and you'll get a discount. They cover EVERYTHING. Like for like replacements of parts (make sure you declare everything) and mods too.

http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mr gee
In: Reflex Silver
Options: RNS-510/Dynaudio

Post by mr gee »

There has been a lot of debate regarding the pros and cons of ecu remapping so I won't elaborate but tell you my rationale fro doing mine and experience.

The R has a big turbo and so it can be laggy below 2000 rpm unfortunately thats where I spend much of my time in in-town driving (mine's a DSG). Having used Superchips' tuning on my cars since the early 90s, I went with them on my car. The Bluefin update went easy enough and the power beyond 2500 rpm additive but the low rpm lag was still obvious.
Having read about the experiences with Bluefin from a fellow Roc R user somewhere in this or another forum, I re-approached Superchips regarding their more aggresive tune and after I loaded that tune, throttle response was immediately obvious :D . Fuel consumption went up 5% but with moderation has improved so that I regularly get 30mpg in town use and 33+ with the odd motorway thrown in.
Looking at the dyno figures, I can see the fueling is quite aggressive at initial throttle tip-in explaining the improved throttle response.

I decided a stage 1 tune was all I needed as the car is front drive and wheel spin is just a twitch of the right foot away. My OE tyres will need replacement at around 23000miles.

Just my 2 cents

wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

this engine has been around since 2006 then had the cdl update, if you are shredding the tyres you aren't driving it properly, i noticed little difference in wear on three mapped cars, key is getting a linear throttle version of the map as the car is so much nicer to drive

i'd keep the oem exhaust and stage at Stage 1, plenty quick enough
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
viper gas
In: Deep Black

Post by viper gas »

Remaps are fantastic. And they can be designed for what you want. Better mpg. Better responce. Better torge. Either way done correctly it will bring out the best in your engine.