What to look for when test driving an R

Everything about the R for potential owners.
3t3p
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: R-tech Stage 1, Forge Twin take,19'' Talladegas, Rear sensors, Heated leather, RNS510 Satnav + Dynaudio, Tinted glass, LED Interior lighting, Electric folding mirrors, Custom mats, CBI Xenons, Yellowstuff pads

What to look for when test driving an R

Post by 3t3p »

Part-exing my car for an R at a dealership.

Apart from a big smile on my face, what else should I be looking for in the R.

Any specific faults/issues with the variant?

Thanks
SMB
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: RNS510, Parking, Panoramic Roof, Deep Black, Heated Seats, Leather, Electric Drivers Seat, Dynaudio, 19", Colour display, Electric folding Mirrors, cruise, Parking Sensors

Re: What to look for when test driving an R

Post by SMB »

Nothing of note really above normal sports car, So check for accident damage, tyre wear and stepping on rears causing noise, check when belt last changed as that's every 4years on most. I disconnected the soundaktor as the noise was too great and artificial.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Cambelt interval is 5 years on cars registered.after September 2009

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/serv ... elt-change" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3t3p
Options: R-tech Stage 1, Forge Twin take,19'' Talladegas, Rear sensors, Heated leather, RNS510 Satnav + Dynaudio, Tinted glass, LED Interior lighting, Electric folding mirrors, Custom mats, CBI Xenons, Yellowstuff pads

Post by 3t3p »

Thanks

It's a 2010 car,

I asked about the cambelt, it's been inspected but not replaced.

It will come with one year warranty if I buy it so that sees me into this time 2015
Macman

Post by Macman »

It needs new plugs at 40k or after 3years - an update in the manual supplement. Some VW garages did not pick up on the Supplement due to old Computer Stock/Parts software. Get it done and save £80 plus labour!
Check the AirCon has been re-gassed as can cost about £30.
1yr warranty, it must be from a VW dealer then? See they did they HPI check anyway. Some Used car dealers only offer 3months but they are legally required to give you 6months.
Check it has a new Charcoal only Cabin Filter. My dealer conned me by replacing it with a Standard type which lets in all the engine fumes.
Get any VAG updates it can get, especially the fix for high revs when turning at slow speed. You may also get any Media updates for ipods or SatNav as there were issues on connectivity and directory reading. Some garages don't have access to the internet and may need to get them elsewhere and put on a CD (as did mine).
Be sure the DSG (best choice IMO) oil is replaced after 3yrs.
Avoid buying wipers other than VW parts. I made that mistake and sent others back.
It must have both key sets and security code tab.
It may only have a tyre foam repair kit (check best before date as costs £60) and not a space saver wheel (this is normal but later models get the wheel).

This is all I found on my '10 reg which still had some warranty left on it so my test drive was after I bought it!
Jason Pomfret
In: Reflex Silver

Post by Jason Pomfret »

SMB wrote:Nothing of note really above normal sports car, So check for accident damage, tyre wear and stepping on rears causing noise, check when belt last changed as that's every 4years on most. I disconnected the soundaktor as the noise was too great and artificial.
When you talk of strong on rears causing noise sounds like mine is coming on now what causes this?
Jason Pomfret
In: Reflex Silver

Post by Jason Pomfret »

Stepping not strong
3t3p

Post by 3t3p »

Well I bought the car:)
Its just savagely fast the R but very refined still. Ride is great I think.
Checked what I knew at the time bit missed some of the stuff above.

Surely a VW garage can't sell a car with finance left on it?! I never ran my own HPI check
andyy
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by andyy »

How are you getting on with your new R?
3t3p

Post by 3t3p »

Going great in general.

getting 30 or just under mpg on average, done via actual fuel used when filling up again.

There are days when I think I am used to the power, then floor it again and realise I'm not:D

I can see why people say DSG suits the car but I am still enjoying changing gear, even if I get the occasional graunch when going into third too quickly. Tried to replicate it with VW to no avail.

Got the car tracked on a hunter system, expensive at £120 (VW charging £96) but the car drives so much better now.