A45 AMG new kid in town

Everything about the R for potential owners.
Basho
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Night Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Panoramic Roof, bi-xenon, Dual Climate Control,navigation, Black Vienna Leather, 19" Talladegas, RNS-510, 6CD, Dynaudio, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors, Electric Drivers Seat, Heated Seats.

A45 AMG new kid in town

Post by Basho »

Guys,

I have the R since almost 1 year and 10 months. I love it its great looking car and the performance is great value too for money.

I think VW did a great job with it, my problem is I cant think that we wont have a new mark untill 2017 which is a way long ahead, by this time we will have golf R mark 8.

I have some real thinking actually about selling the car: reasons, Golf R coming in 6 months here in Dubai. New scirocco Revised engine and headlights etc? is it worth it??

Than I went to the Merc Showroom where I saw the new A45 AMG, Which is :clap: omg, the quality of the interior and the details of the exterior is bind blowing good! I put the car key and turn on the engine it sounded so deep and raw really! I loved this car so much. orders will take up to 6 months and starting price 53,000 usd.

What u guys think, should i Keep my R? wait for the new R in 2015, or have the new Golf R? or the A45 amg?
"Mashallah You got a nice car"
James321
In: Rising Blue
Options: REVO Stage 2+, Bilstein B16 iRC, Supalloy Wishbones, Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust, Revo Intake, EuroJet Intercooler. (Wife's car)
I'm in an RS5

Re: A45 AMG new kid in town

Post by James321 »

Do it Basho, the Merc is an amazing little pocket rocket, it's slightly more than the golf R but it's a much higher quality than the golf inside.

I've just put my order in for an RS5 so I'm moving on too :)

Don't expect people on this forum to bet excited about you buying a new car though, this is the quietest forum I post on, people read but don't post, not usually a trait of a VW forum, the golf guys have a lot to say, the Scirocco owners not so much?
RS5, Scirocco R. You can never have enough R's
Basho
Options: Panoramic Roof, bi-xenon, Dual Climate Control,navigation, Black Vienna Leather, 19" Talladegas, RNS-510, 6CD, Dynaudio, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors, Electric Drivers Seat, Heated Seats.

Post by Basho »

James, Thanks for your replies always bro.

Yes the AMG interior is amazing compare to the VW. I agree its becoming very quiet forum here. My feeling is that the Scirocco days are going away really. I was considering the cayman s which is little pricier but amazing car all rounda.

RS5 is a great car, that engine is a materpiece really and quality of the interior, little bulky but its a great choice to be considered.

I am gonna take sometime and make my decision. will keep u guys posted
bitmadmax

Post by bitmadmax »

James321 wrote:but it's a much higher quality than the golf inside
Really? I thought I was looking at the interior of a Vauxhall when I saw the pics? :shrug:
Golf 7R
Gone: Scirocco R
VCDS available
James321
Options: REVO Stage 2+, Bilstein B16 iRC, Supalloy Wishbones, Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust, Revo Intake, EuroJet Intercooler. (Wife's car)
I'm in an RS5

Post by James321 »

I don't know, I think this is a pretty nice cockpit and the performance will leave the Astra driver green with envy.
RS5, Scirocco R. You can never have enough R's
Sidewaysgt4

Post by Sidewaysgt4 »

Not a fan of the a45 interior. It's all just too .......'busy' looking
Basho

Post by Basho »

Once u see it urself! ur gonna change ur mind ;)
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Love the interior apart from the sat nav.which looks like an afterthought.
Nospheratu
In: Candy White
Options: | Dynaudio | Panoramic Sunroof |

Post by Nospheratu »

I also think the interior is quite good, the sport seats look gorgeous but I'm not sure if its an option as only the Edition 1's have it in South Africa. That said, the red seatbelts are just wrong and cheapen the look.

edit: Seems the seats are an option... and cheaper than the R's Recaros to boot :p
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

not floated my boat i actually prefer exterior of M135i, i would love to drive one though, the sat nav looks like tesco flogged them a lot of their cheap tablets

my MK7 R lands in March so i am curious how it feels
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
skippy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

Yes I agree with the sat nav, seems such a shame to spoil (IMHO) the dashboard on what is clearly a very high quality car.

I was a passenger in a B class just before Christmas and that had one of these sat nav's stuck on the dashboard, clearly looks aftermarket.

That said, the AMG it is supposed to be an amazing car.
Basho

Post by Basho »

Nospheratu wrote:I also think the interior is quite good, the sport seats look gorgeous but I'm not sure if its an option as only the Edition 1's have it in South Africa. That said, the red seatbelts are just wrong and cheapen the look.

edit: Seems the seats are an option... and cheaper than the R's Recaros to boot :p
they are many types of seats, those are performance AMG seats
Basho

Post by Basho »

Nospheratu wrote:I also think the interior is quite good, the sport seats look gorgeous but I'm not sure if its an option as only the Edition 1's have it in South Africa. That said, the red seatbelts are just wrong and cheapen the look.

You configure a car like an edition 1 without the stribes and even beyond
lee63
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: RCD510 with Dynaudio, Supreme white xenon bulbs/sidelights/number plate, Piano black interior trim, pipercross panel filter, DTUK CRD-T, Eibach 25mm lowering springs, hydraulic bonnet struts, covered cup holder, LED interior, Custom"SciroccoGT"door sill plates.

Post by lee63 »

I am currently in the process of getting ready to change mine too allthough i drive oil burners :) (personal pref) I do however like the A class especially the A45 amg but im also a big fan of the Audi A5/S5/RS5 imho Audi are far better on build quality than VW even though they share the same chassis and engines. My choice is the A5 3.0 tdi quattro sline, Beautiful car imo, ticks all the boxes and the performance is impressive for a diesel too. I think the scirocco mk3 has had its day now, it will always be a brilliant car and look the part but 4 motion would improve it alot. it definatly needs to be considered on the future mks to keep it competeing with the Golf R and Audi S3. All the best with your choice.
Basho

Post by Basho »

Thanks so much for your post bro. Yes audi RS5 is amazing but its quiet big to be honest and I am thinking to switch to bigger cars once I have kids! :) lets enjoy our days with those amazing hatchbacks u know. The a45 amg is best in class no doubt. Read all the reviews they are also plenty of videos to watch.

The Scirocco is a great great looking car and the performance is amazing but it starting to feel old, even with the facelift and engine upgrade its not gonna change once that's my biggest issue with it that we have until 2017 to have a new mark! I wish they never told us these news. I wouldn't be able to see myself driving a 2016 car which looks exactly the same as 2009. its a damn shame.

As for the Golf R I prefer the mark 6 exterior to mark 7, interior wise the 7 is good still much cheaper than Audi, BMW and MERC.

Its going to cost around 50 000 usd here in Dubai, they increase it 3000 usd to the mark 6.
Basho

Post by Basho »

skippy wrote:Yes I agree with the sat nav, seems such a shame to spoil (IMHO) the dashboard on what is clearly a very high quality car.

I was a passenger in a B class just before Christmas and that had one of these sat nav's stuck on the dashboard, clearly looks aftermarket.

That said, the AMG it is supposed to be an amazing car.

The AMG version have a bigger screen (lame). in person it looks like the screen is very close to the driver. the central console is amazing with command online feature
b0rk
Options: Used to have an R...

Post by b0rk »

To understand the A45 you have to drive one there is no hatch comparable on the market today IMHO.

So far I've tried GTI PP, RS (Cup) Megane, Astra VXR, M135i, S3 and A45.

Do tick the boxes for AMG performance wheel and AMG performance exhaust, if the pictured seats are not standard in your market do choose them as they're lovely and comfortable made by Recaro too for MB.
The AMG performance suspension is far far to hard for UK roads but probably excellent if a being used as a track day toy and the gearbox is lazy in comparison to DSG. Steering is beautifully weighted and brakes show how OEM should be done.
If you find dealer with a clue the red vents and belts can be factory deleted and the "carbon effect" trim replaced with brushed aluminium all no cost on the MB UK system. Stay away from all the black expensive carbon parts as they make the exterior look cheap.

I've been quoted 9 months from order to delivery and not much in the way of discount so it's looking like 6k more than a Golf R / S3. The option of software only remapping to 410 PS is also quite appealing. The higher base spec does lower the different if I factor in cost of modifications to bring a R/S3 upto the same standard. I'm going to sit it out and make final decision after I've had chance to drive a Golf R. The S3 I tried felt disappointing and overly safe boarding on dull TBH in comparison to the GTI PP I'd tried earlier.

I agree with all the comments re the command nav screen it does look aftermarket, I think the design was driven by cost so MB could offer Becker MapPilots as a low(ish) cost dealer / end user fit option later on basis that screens would be standard across the range.
TBH it's no worse than the "factory" tomtom ports some other brands offer. The new 2014 C Class has the exact same system which looks equally goping. Then again I personally think pop up nav screens as per BMW, Audi and Mercedes look like the manufacturers forgot about navigation until after the interior was styled.
Basho

Post by Basho »

b0rk wrote:To understand the A45 you have to drive one there is no hatch comparable on the market today IMHO.

So far I've tried GTI PP, RS (Cup) Megane, Astra VXR, M135i, S3 and A45.

Do tick the boxes for AMG performance wheel and AMG performance exhaust, if the pictured seats are not standard in your market do choose them as they're lovely and comfortable made by Recaro too for MB.
The AMG performance suspension is far far to hard for UK roads but probably excellent if a being used as a track day toy and the gearbox is lazy in comparison to DSG. Steering is beautifully weighted and brakes show how OEM should be done.
If you find dealer with a clue the red vents and belts can be factory deleted and the "carbon effect" trim replaced with brushed aluminium all no cost on the MB UK system. Stay away from all the black expensive carbon parts as they make the exterior look cheap.

I've been quoted 9 months from order to delivery and not much in the way of discount so it's looking like 6k more than a Golf R / S3. The option of software only remapping to 410 PS is also quite appealing. The higher base spec does lower the different if I factor in cost of modifications to bring a R/S3 upto the same standard. I'm going to sit it out and make final decision after I've had chance to drive a Golf R. The S3 I tried felt disappointing and overly safe boarding on dull TBH in comparison to the GTI PP I'd tried earlier.

I agree with all the comments re the command nav screen it does look aftermarket, I think the design was driven by cost so MB could offer Becker MapPilots as a low(ish) cost dealer / end user fit option later on basis that screens would be standard across the range.
TBH it's no worse than the "factory" tomtom ports some other brands offer. The new 2014 C Class has the exact same system which looks equally goping. Then again I personally think pop up nav screens as per BMW, Audi and Mercedes look like the manufacturers forgot about navigation until after the interior was styled.
Are your sure than the carbon fiber package and CF mirror are not suitable for a mountain grey color? because I felt the black glossy parts looks cheap compare to the CF
b0rk
Options: Used to have an R...

Post by b0rk »

The highly visible "weave" looks like a run of the mill CF effect wrap when it's proper CF and even for the outlay you don't get all the front trims/grills in CF only the splitter.

So front is a mixture of gloss CF, gloss black plastic and matt plastic that doesn't mesh well with me personally so I can't say I'm a fan for the £3,800 MB UK want for it. A decent vinyl wrapper could do a far better job for much less outlay.
Basho

Post by Basho »

Bork, yesterday i went to Merc Showroom yeah the CB is way way too expensive and looks bad.

As for the interior the CB looks good to me. in UAE we can replace it with leather which comes in 4 different colors.