Rising Blue Project

Everything about the R for potential owners.
Mltyson89
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Sat nav, phone prep & iPod connection, Decatane led tail lights, VW cup spoiler, Black badges, rotiform 19's, Scorpion decat exhaust, Forge twin cooler, induction, blow off valve, APRacing brakes, Sasch clutch upgrade, MSS Lowering Kit, Wavetec LSD, Loba HPFP & stage 2+ Revo Software.

Re: Rising Blue Project

Post by Mltyson89 »

No where near as fun to drive tho, I tried both and would choose manual everytime!
James321
With a: DSG box
Options: REVO Stage 2+, Bilstein B16 iRC, Supalloy Wishbones, Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust, Revo Intake, EuroJet Intercooler. (Wife's car)
I'm in an RS5

Post by James321 »

But the manual is ultimately slower and if used in semi auto with the paddles the DSG can also be good fun but with the option of a nice lazy drive if you want fully auto.

I wouldn't go back to manual after using the DSG box but each to their own I guess.
RS5, Scirocco R. You can never have enough R's
Macman

Post by Macman »

Me too. I never liked the kicks in the back for manual changing. The DSG is so smooth with all its power. You can simulate manual using the stick but no need. It handles much better in Sport mode for throttle response as there's more lag in Normal due to lower revs for the Turbo - this is what you must compare. It just takes getting use to all ways and predict how it responds.
Mltyson89
Options: Sat nav, phone prep & iPod connection, Decatane led tail lights, VW cup spoiler, Black badges, rotiform 19's, Scorpion decat exhaust, Forge twin cooler, induction, blow off valve, APRacing brakes, Sasch clutch upgrade, MSS Lowering Kit, Wavetec LSD, Loba HPFP & stage 2+ Revo Software.

Post by Mltyson89 »

I just felt I didn't feel the pull as much with dsg, at lights tho fantastic no need to use a clutch 1-0 to the dsg!
mo_bay

Post by mo_bay »

Hi James,

Impressive mods!! :clap: I'd love to do the same now knowing there is a company in UAE who can do that for you...However, warranty void is putting me off...I am really keen to know what is the final verdict and how is the Rocco doing now in this weather :eek:
James321
Options: REVO Stage 2+, Bilstein B16 iRC, Supalloy Wishbones, Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust, Revo Intake, EuroJet Intercooler. (Wife's car)
I'm in an RS5

Post by James321 »

Hi and thanks, the warranty issue also plays on my mind however Ive asked about it and it seems to be almost acceptable, the consensus is that cars such as the GTi and R are owned by enthusiasts who will tinker and tune their vehicles. I will go back to standard for servicings, etc just so I'm not rubbing it in their face.

To be honest, I'm 42 years old and not a boy racer, all the mods I have done have been to improve on the VW design, most of the mods in the chassis area but with some engine tweeks to make the most of driveability and the chassis. Once it cools down a little I'll be taking it back on the track to see how much it's improved.

I had the uprated intercooler fitted to help with the summer temps but Revo wisely load a summer map which runs less ignition advance so prevents detonation and also the fuel pump ensures the mid range doesn't go lean. If you're around in Dubai I don't mind taking you out for a test drive if it help make your mind up, or pop in and speak to Motaz at Park Ferme.
mo_bay

Post by mo_bay »

Hi James,

I contacted the dealer in Al Ain and they advised me not to even think about mods as It will void the warranty :grumpy: apparently ABT the tuning firm in Abu Dhabi (Part of the dealers' after sale services) will warn you about the warranty if you want to undertake any tuning services.

I am sure a test drive in your modified Rocco is a treat and I shall take your offer seriously :D when I am next in Dubai, but I have to admit giving work and family that is very rare.

Enjoy your Rocco !!!
James321
I'm in an RS5

Post by James321 »

The dealer in Dubai has already seen the suspension mods and said that the bushes would no longer be covered under warranty but he was happy with it apart from that.
ABT offer a warranty with their work, probably why they are so expensive!
James321
I'm in an RS5

Post by James321 »

A quick update:

I finally received the Bilstein iRC module which replaces the current RC (Ride Control) module, the old system had two modes, comfort and sport, the comfort being slightly softer than standard and the sport being slightly firmer.

The iRC unit has 6 modes, comfort, normal, sport but it also has a built in accelerometer in the new control unit so there is an 'auto' selection for the three above modes, this adjusts the suspension as it sees the car go go through lateral and longitudinal accelerations.
The iRC unit connects by WiFi to an iPad or iPhone and enables you to also adjust the suspension to your own settings so making each mode adjustable to how you would like it, the apple device also displays the acceleration forces the unit is monitoring.

The result has really transformed the handling, it's just absolutely no fuss anymore, I can select comfort but when the car enters a corner and the lateral acceleration is felt, the damping firms up.

This really is the future of suspension systems, it takes around 15 minutes to calibrate, you need to drive the car through some twisty sections of road with the apple device mounted vertically in the car but that's it, once done you can disconnect it and do without. I personally use an old iPhone 4 as my iPod in the car so I keep it there with my music and to allow me to make any adjustments if I need to.

That's it for the tuning now, a carbon airbox is on the way, this is mainly to reduce the dust on the Revo filter and to hopefully reduce some of the hiss, chatter, woopsh noises from the intake but there will be no more additions to the R.
In a year and a half it's gone from standard to Stage 2+, had the bilstein and alloy wishbones and a set of Michelin sports! bang for buck you can't beat the R, it's such a fun car and always gets comments on how it looks.
Mltyson89

Post by Mltyson89 »

Lovely work I would love to come for a ride in yours to feel the difference between your set up & mine. If you fancy a trip to the Ring in April let me know...
James321
I'm in an RS5

Post by James321 »

I'd love to but it's one hell of a drive from Dubai to Germany! :D
Redpastyboy

Post by Redpastyboy »

Hi,

I have found a website that sells the carbon tips. Do you know if these would fit the standard exhaust system?

http://www.jdl-brakes.com/akrapovic-tai ... -cs-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks
uklee
I drive a: GTS TDI
In: Candy White
Options: 14MY GTS TDi 177 RNS510 DAB with Dynaudio ,Parking sensors, 90% tint, Bi-Xenons, Full colour MFC, Winter Pack. MODS- De-Striped ,Reverse Camera Kit ,Power-fold Mirrors, Smokers pack ,Cruise Control, VW Cup spoiler ,VAG-COM tweeks ,LED interior light kit ,MSS Streets suspension kit ,12mm spacers

Post by uklee »

Redpastyboy wrote:Hi,

I have found a website that sells the carbon tips. Do you know if these would fit the standard exhaust system?

http://www.jdl-brakes.com/akrapovic-tai ... -cs-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks
Even if they did , would you really spend £537 + shipping on a pair of tail pipe tips ?? :eyepop:
whiteDevil_170
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Thanks
:fall: :fall: how much!
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
Redpastyboy

Post by Redpastyboy »

uklee wrote:

Thanks
Even if they did , would you really spend £537 + shipping on a pair of tail pipe tips ?? :eyepop:
No, probably not. Unless I can find them cheaper elsewhere.

I don't think they'd fit anyway, presume they'll only fit the Akra slip-on.
James321
I'm in an RS5

Post by James321 »

If you look at the tail pipe of the standard system, the left hand pipe is split into two so it isn't a round shape, for this reason alone the Akrapovic tail pipes will not fit, I'm not sure what the diameter of the standard is compared to Akrapovic either?
jd5

Post by jd5 »

Update please :D
James321
I'm in an RS5

Post by James321 »

Not much to report really, I had a wheel alignment done which showed the caster on the drivers side front out by a degree from the passenger side. Taking measurements also showed the drivers side wheel set back by 1cm, we re aligned the subframe and all the figures were spot on again.
Now how on earth the subframe get out of alignment is beyond me, if I'd hit a pothole or raised manhole with enough force to move the subframe then I'd expect I'd remember it. The only thing I can think of is the lower dog bone mount. I removed the Revo mount as I found it added too much vibration in the cabin, swapping back to the standard mount got rid of the vibration but on a full throttle launch from standstill, the standard dog bone would knock on the subframe, I can only assume this has moved the subframe?

All sorted now but food for thought for other guys running high power cars without an uprated dog bone mount.
flashash
Options: Dynaudio, Dab RAdio, Factory Bluetooth, Folding Mirrors, Parking Sensors. Leather

Post by flashash »

Who did your alignment?
James321
I'm in an RS5

Post by James321 »

Motor Sport Wheels in Dubai did the initial alignment but they didn't have the tool for setting the alignment on the subframe, for that job I took it to Century and then back to MSW for another alignment.