Change of spark plugs on the R - Yes or No ?

Everything about the R for potential owners.
candyrocker
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Sunroof.Mirrors,Parking sensors.Leather,DSG

Change of spark plugs on the R - Yes or No ?

Post by candyrocker »

Hi Gang,

First real post on here so hi to everyone !

So, the R goes in for its second service at the end of the week.. and as you do I phoned up VW service dept. to book in. While I was on the phone I quizzed the guy about changing the spark plugs, as on the last service they changed just ONE for me.. (nice of them) !

Which got me thinking..(at the time) on first service at 3000 miles (only) it needed a plug changing?

Now the car has 6200 on it and I`m considering having all 4 changed.. BUT as we know plugs aren`t covered in the service.. so I asked if I could get them to put some NKG`s in while they were doing the service..

The answer was yes.. BUT.. (and this is the bit I kinda wanted to inform you guys about), putting NGK`s in voids the warranty ! Damn..

So after further quizzing, it turns out that VW can replace all four plugs with their own plugs and charge me £79 (all in) for doing so.. (£38.40 fitting charge)..

Ok, so I`m a typical Yorkshireman, but not that much of a tighta**e, after all I bought an "R" and all that comes with it lol.. But at this point, I would really value a few opinions on whether a full plug change is really warranted (geddit)? or not..? I`m old school, and when we changed plugs upon service back in the day, we used to change all 4 at once ! Now if a plug needed changing at first service, surely it might need some attention on service 2. And if it does, to my mind, I might as well do all four plugs..

Opinions please?
Check out my Roc`s picture gallery:

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=16326
Macman
In: Rising Blue

Re: Change of spark plugs on the R - Yes or No ?

Post by Macman »

A service supplement for the R says only if its done 40k miles after 4yrs. Then at 60k needs a change.
The full inspection service is at 40k miles NOT for a 4yr interval.
Mine is 3yrs old at 40k so they didn't change at the Full Inspection Service and I did query this.
I believe they twisted this to get another service next year and charge for plugs perhaps.
Its included in the full service so I doubt you need it and needn't pay extra as it states plug change on the auto printout yet they didn't do it for me.
Should this be done with 40k miles after even 3yrs?
About changing to NGK plugs, think about it, if it voids warranty then the stock ones should last or at least be covered.
candyrocker

Post by candyrocker »

Thanks for your reply :)

After a little think, I`m deffo not going to put NGK`s in at all..

It`s just that first single plug change on service 1 that keeps nagging my noggin.. especially as their only meant to be changed at 40k..

hmmm..

wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

i wouldn't bother swapping to ngk iridums anyway as grossly overated from my experience, the later spec oem ones are plenty good enough

in reality if your car is mapped you will tend to need to replace between 15-20k

maybe it could do with a bit more use ;)
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
candyrocker

Post by candyrocker »

wigit wrote:i wouldn't bother swapping to ngk iridums anyway as grossly overated from my experience, the later spec oem ones are plenty good enough

in reality if your car is mapped you will tend to need to replace between 15-20k

maybe it could do with a bit more use ;)
Nah, it`s not mapped.. thought I`d be different and keep it stock..

You could be right tho as I`d love to be out in it more.. but too much work and crappy English weather are holding me back from getting out in it as much as I`d like ! Roll on summer and those countryside roads ;-)

Think I`ll just have a word with the service engineer and get him to double check the plug status..

Mltyson89
With a: Manual box
Options: Sat nav, phone prep & iPod connection, Decatane led tail lights, VW cup spoiler, Black badges, rotiform 19's, Scorpion decat exhaust, Forge twin cooler, induction, blow off valve, APRacing brakes, Sasch clutch upgrade, MSS Lowering Kit, Wavetec LSD, Loba HPFP & stage 2+ Revo Software.

Post by Mltyson89 »

Well I have a mapped r do you think its worth paying the cash for some upgraded plugs?
b0rk
Options: Used to have an R...

Post by b0rk »

There isn't an upgraded NGK plug... VW PN 06H 905 601 A is NGK PFR7S8EG which is a double platinum plug heat range 7. The equivalent Iridium would be BKR7EIX which NGK do not recommend for CDLA code engines. The benefits of Iridium's stem from many years back when VW where recommending plugs one heat range hotter. Interestingly the NGK recommended double platinum plug is more expensive than it's Iridium equivalent.

In terms of new plugs how long have your current plugs been installed, what is the map and how long has it been running mapped.? I had my plugs changed just prior to mapping but the car had done nearly 40k anyway so was due for new plugs.
Macman

Post by Macman »

Macman wrote:A service supplement for the R says only if its done 40k miles after 4yrs. Then at 60k needs a change.
The full inspection service is at 40k miles NOT for a 4yr interval.
Mine is 3yrs old at 40k so they didn't change at the Full Inspection Service and I did query this.
I believe they twisted this to get another service next year and charge for plugs perhaps.
Its included in the full service so I doubt you need it and needn't pay extra as it states plug change on the auto printout yet they didn't do it for me.
Should this be done with 40k miles after even 3yrs?
About changing to NGK plugs, think about it, if it voids warranty then the stock ones should last or at least be covered.
A follow up to my own quote as it's now at the 4yrs Service...

The info above is still fact but the VW Service garage were running a software system which did NOT note this criteria at the time. They are now running Parts 500 Software which now shows that the Plugs should have been changed at 40k (for me last year at the 3yrs making that the Full Inspection Service instead of at 4yrs.) So now they are changing plugs FREE as part of my next Service.

Nice to find out and save me £80 huh! Thanks to VW UK to inform me when I queried the situation of plugs when they called me.
eMiL-VR6
In: Indium Grey
Options: Media-In, RNS 510, Black windows and GIAC Extreme, 300whp+

Post by eMiL-VR6 »

Mine has done 30k miles now and i haven't changed the spark plugs and thinking about getting it done.
The car is running stage 2.5+. Which spark plug should i buy?
Stu13R
Options: Fully loaded including Recaro seats
20" Cades Shift alloys with 245/30/20 Michelin Cup Sport 2 tyres
VWR Tracksport Coilovers, anti lift, wishbones and engine/gearbox mounts
Turbo back BCS Sports Powervalve exhaust with race cat & wrapped downpipe
VWR air intake and Stage 2 APR map

Post by Stu13R »

eMiL-VR6 wrote:Mine has done 30k miles now and i haven't changed the spark plugs and thinking about getting it done.
Going on the info I have read it looks like the standard current double platinum plugs are correct. I was chatting to an A4 owner with a 600hp 2.0 TFSI who uses uprated coil packs and standard plugs.
eMiL-VR6
In: Indium Grey
Options: Media-In, RNS 510, Black windows and GIAC Extreme, 300whp+

Post by eMiL-VR6 »

Stu13R wrote:
eMiL-VR6 wrote:Mine has done 30k miles now and i haven't changed the spark plugs and thinking about getting it done.
Going on the info I have read it looks like the standard current double platinum plugs are correct. I was chatting to an A4 owner with a 600hp 2.0 TFSI who uses uprated coil packs and standard plugs.
I've read that coppar plugs would be the best to go for when running performance?