Reaquainted

Everything about the R for potential owners.
finetrond
I drive a: Scirocco R

Reaquainted

Post by finetrond »

Hello.

Had an accident in my car, so i got to loan my old R for a week. Having a more powerful car makes it seem as it needs some more power. Reading up on stage 2+ bits.
Seen some new stuff since last. Turbo muffler, is that a EA888 thing or is it for EA113 also?
A chav BOV is right up my alley too,
The car needs a serious clean, surface rust on the wheels, brown on interior parts that does not get clean by a simple wipe down at the car wash.
Headlights have a lot of surface micro cracks all over and some thru cracks in corner.
Changing the lenses seems like a difficult task, but that would allow me to paint the "chrome" rings . Aftermarket headlight assembly cost a bit, but would give a new look if selecting something different. Alas it is not my car anymore

If I could get it back I would, having it as a second car would allow some upgrades that I wanted to do before. I got a deal before you see. "No mods, and you can buy a new car that you want"
Collector of warning lights.
finetrond

Re: Reaquainted

Post by finetrond »

So last day with the R this time.
Still a great drive, still a looker.
Everybody driving bigger cars here always think its just another small car for poor people that can afford the entry level SUV they are driving. So I feel obliged to leave them in the rear view mirror.

I wish the manual shift using the stick was the other way, pull back for up shift, and it was lighter with a more tactile feeling. With a little "click" at the end of movement.
Oh and the suspension is, how do you say, unforgiving. Well on uneven surface as it is for a bit of the drive to work. Back roads on the way home today???
finetrond

Post by finetrond »

So the rear muffler on the "el Camino" crapped out. Or rather the right exhaust valve. I got to borrow the R again. It is still a fun car, get it on boost and rev it out. I'll keep it over the weekend until the spares make their way here. So in the weekend a good clean on the plan. I've started to enjoy getting the car clean, so I can hate on Monday rain just a little bit more.
Still have to take the next step into compounding and polishing. The R will be the test bed for that adventure when it starts.

And yes, since my last drive in May the car has gotten NO love. Sat outside, bird poo and industrial fall out, inside the dash has a layer yellow crud on it. Dafuk, $2 for a clean. 20mins to sit a play solitaire. Guess we are all put together differently.
finetrond

Post by finetrond »

The R is back home. Send\t it to a local paint shop to have the worst stone chips and scratches painted. 1600 wingwangs to get it done. Now that is not a lot on money. It wasn't done too bad either considering the price. Not great, but good enough for an old beater.
Ordered up a set of black badges, flat black. and some blue aluminium extended gear paddles. Badges went on easy enough, but the gear paddles. Lord and behold, they ain't the same on the old R and the facelift. Not even close. So i needs to find the right kind and return these to the seller. I was looking forward to getting then on.

104k Km on the odometer. due to change the timing belt. What else would be good to do to it while it is at the garage?
The front suspension has a noise over bumps, broken pigtail on the spring?
finetrond

Post by finetrond »

So the drive from home to work and back is mostly county roads, up over the hills both ways. Many opportunities for some short sprints passing slower cars.
Noticed the exhaust tips are blacker than normal and gets so fast after a good clean.
Had to fill a liter of engine oil between services for the first time since new. Can't justify 5000km services on the old beater anymore.
Timing belt is about 1500 fazools + labour. Not too bad.

Next service is delayed thou, first the beemer needs servicing, thats never cheap.
finetrond

Post by finetrond »

Got some RE-50A's back a few years, the rears are still holding up. 70k km on the rears, front tires replaced . Not bad for 140 threadwear tires. But they are old, so I'm gonna treat the beater to some top class tires after the upcoming service. Cup2 anyone? stupid? . Well stupid is, and stupid does. Can't find PS4S in the right size here.

Hope i can explain to the service shop that I want the intake valves inspected, and If caked in sot, clean it sparking. Getting a borescope at work next year Feb/Mar. Could cram that in there to have a gander.

hope for a new year with job security, stress free work, and cash enough to treat the beater.
finetrond

Post by finetrond »

Not the most elegant way to share photos. But i'm not going to get a new login to a new photo sharing site.

https://www.icloud.com.cn/sharedalbum/# ... DC1320A08D

A beater does not have many beauty shots.
finetrond

Post by finetrond »

So the big service is done. Timing belt finally replaced. 123k Km on i. think I got my monies worth.
Also got the intake valve cleaned.
Got to replace the Goodyear Pregnancy tires. They are not well suited.

I proud to have figured out this picture in the google photos.

Before

After

Some older photos
2nd place in the Fanlong cun annual Show 'n' Shine. The other car won, his family arranged it :(

On top of the world. 3500 meters up.

What I like to see on the GPS Map

First photo, collection day.
finetrond

Post by finetrond »

The RE-050A packed it in before the weekend.Big tear in the inside of the left rear tire. All good manufactured in 2015, so i suppose they were due for replacement.
Alas no CUP2 replacements, all available tires where a few years old. PS4S not available at all. A rather pedestrian set of PS4 up front. The Goodyear Pregnancy tires move to the back. No wheel spin in third anymore.
finetrond

Post by finetrond »

Engine lights been on since the service. I told them to turn it off for the charcoal canister a few years back. I ain't paint RMB 1200 to have it replaced. This time the left the warning light on. Still not buying that that black plastic box. Could get a un-original online. RMB 80 shipped. But it $4it. So can spend RMB 1200 for IE PCV deletion kit.

And the roof liner is loose in the back. Was the rear view NOT great before? now with half the window covered by the roof liner. 50% worse. So back to the repair shop, I wish I had some ability to repair cars, all my tools are a pair of scissors and some crazy glue.
Last edited by finetrond on Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
finetrond

Post by finetrond »

3 liters of oil since the big service, should i spring on a full service?
think i'll get that little cam follower changed. i got 2liters of new oil coming, for topping up.
man what a great car.
finetrond

Post by finetrond »

Serviced again, 4X new brake discs, and new pads for the rear. Front pads was replaced earlier.
3 dampers are leaking, not great but not unexpected. What to do, what to do. I am convinced a of upgraded dampers is a must. What to choose? adjustable and non adjustable.
Got a GFB DV+ installed so now the car has more PP. No VTA model available here, and i did want to order from overseas.

And they removed a nail from my front tire. No puncture.
finetrond

Post by finetrond »

I've come full circle on the new dampers three times. I was thinking KW Clubsport because race car. Then money comes in picture. So I bargaining back down to Bilstein B12 pro-kit. can even throw in Eibach anti-roll bars to boot and still have money for 98 Ron fuel. Then back up to B14, then B16. B16 money is about KW V3 money.
No no, stick with the B12 pro kit. Car is old so if i change the dampers, i'll need new top mounts and bearings right. that adds a bit. Should i get upgraded top mount and bearing, because race car?
I don't need the adjustability, not sure if the local garage would understand installing a Clubsport kit also. I got time, still month and a half before the bonus form last year will be paid out.
JayRocco
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: CTS Stage 3 / Caractere Bodykit (front lip, front grill, sideskirts, rear roof spoiler & rear lip) / Caractere muffler / Caractere 18" rims

Post by JayRocco »

finetrond wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:18 pm I've come full circle on the new dampers three times. I was thinking KW Clubsport because race car. Then money comes in picture. So I bargaining back down to Bilstein B12 pro-kit. can even throw in Eibach anti-roll bars to boot and still have money for 98 Ron fuel. Then back up to B14, then B16. B16 money is about KW V3 money.
No no, stick with the B12 pro kit. Car is old so if i change the dampers, i'll need new top mounts and bearings right. that adds a bit. Should i get upgraded top mount and bearing, because race car?
I don't need the adjustability, not sure if the local garage would understand installing a Clubsport kit also. I got time, still month and a half before the bonus form last year will be paid out.
i'm using KW V3 Clubsport on my Scirocco. It may be harsh for city driving but it really shines during weekend track days
CTS Stage 3 / Caractere full bodykit / Caractere muffler / Caractere 18" rims