Paint protection

Info about the best cleaning products and detailing.
paulmaddocks
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Shadow Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, DAB Radio, Folidng mirrors, Parking sensors, Mats, Flat tyre indicator. Extras: Metal pedals, Boot liner, Premium Door sill trim.

Paint protection

Post by paulmaddocks »

Hi people..

Anyone know anything about paintwork protection? Mainly:

1. Is it worth the money?
2. What solutions are availible, pros / cons / recommendations?
3. Can VW offer anything prior to delivery (obviously asking my dealer this one as well).

Thanks
langlord

Re: Paint protection

Post by langlord »

Halfords currently offer the same system for £299 which is the same price at VW.

Basicaly is a hard thin sealant that is applied over the paintwork providing a barrier, In terms of what it does its very simular to dimaondbright or Supagard the idea being that you dont haveto wax or polish the car again the one big difference is you can use autoglyms system is you can use Autoglym super resin and or gloss over the top. I have tried to explain in more detail belo.

When it comes to the manufacture of waxes and synthetic waxes, the general rule is that the shinier they are, the less durable they are. Sealants are a bit of an exception because they are shiny and very, very durable. However, although paint sealants are very shiny, they cannot match the wet-look shine of some of the super high quality waxes on the market.

Wet-look waxes look wet because they are wet, they are filled with oils, fats and powerful chemical solvents. These should not be applied over the top of a paint sealant. The powerful solvents in them which are required to blend all the ingredients together would eventually damage the sealant coating.

I know most would some would not be bothered about this as part of the point of having a sealant applied is to take away having to wax a car but personally I like that you can go the extra level. Even if you are forced to use only autoglym products. Personally though I rate them very highly, I have only ever found Mothers to be better and I am a bit biased as I used to be sponsered by them on my old show car.

LEATHER
As I know a few have cmmented about it being badfor leather as it should be able to breath, Autoglyms system as far as I understand it is dedicated to the type of interior so this should not be an problem.

The other bonus is that it comes with a 10 year guarente what this is worth in the real world who knows but its nice to see sme real confidence behind a product.
Candy white scirocco, black leather, dyno audio, mats, auto glym protection - build week 39
langlord

Post by langlord »

Below is taken from the Autoglym website.

The Autoglym LifeShine system offers a unique and realistic opportunity to keep your car in top condition for as long as you own it, up to ten years. Specially treated surfaces maintain appearance to give miles of pleasure and retain re-sale value.

With Autoglym LifeShine you can drive away from the showroom confident in the knowledge that your new car has been prepared using the finest products in the world. And with a complementary LifeShine Care Kit, ongoing conditioning is assured.

Benefits of the Autoglym LifeShine system will continue for as long as you own your car, enhancing pride and pleasure of ownership and future value.

LifeShine is currently available only in UK and Ireland through authorised car dealerships.

The value of your car in years to come can depend greatly on cosmetic condition
The Autoglym LifeShine system is unique in taking long-term care of the cosmetic condition of your new car.

The way your car is cared for, from day one, will have significant influence on maintaining its long term, top condition and maximum re-sale value. It makes sense to ensure that both your investment and pleasure of ownership are properly safeguarded.

Under the Autoglym LifeShine system special care is taken by trained technicians to prepare your car to the highest standards.

From bumper to bumper, inside and out, the finest Autoglym treatments are used to prepare your new car for delivery to you in pristine and protected condition.

Paintwork protection - Extra protection for paintwork, upholstery, carpets and glass

All exterior paintwork is treated to a unique protective coating to enhance shine and ensure maximum resistance to environmental hazards, even the severest winter weather. The glossy water-repellent coating is easier to keep clean and maintains a superb deep gloss shine.

Upholstery protection - Extra protection for paintwork, upholstery, carpets and glass

Upholstery (fabrics, leather) and carpets are treated with a complex waterproof coating to seal out moisture and resist staining. Accidental spillage simply beads on the surface, whilst dust and sticky marks are easily removed.

Glass treatment - Extra protection for paintwork, upholstery, carpets and glass

Extra care is taken to remove all pre-delivery protection coatings from the windscreen and wiper system to ensure extra smooth operation and clarity. The washer reservoir is charged with a cleaning booster.

Care Kit
Once your car has been specially prepared, you will receive an Autoglym LifeShine registration document and a complementary LifeShine Care Kit for ongoing care. Keep your registration document safe for the day when you may wish to impress a prospective purchaser.
Candy white scirocco, black leather, dyno audio, mats, auto glym protection - build week 39
JonR356
In: Deep Black
Options: Parking sensors, cruise control, flat tyre sensor, mats

Post by JonR356 »

From what I've seen, these 'treatments' are generally regarded by those 'in the know' as being a waste of money.

If you do a search here: www.detailingworld.co.uk there's plenty of discussion on it.

I think you'd be better off spending the money on some good car detailing kit, and a good quality wax or sealant.
Build week 44, collection date 24/11/08
langlord

Post by langlord »

I agree I think the product is over priced as alot of the cost is in the actual application.

but seeing as I got it for £100 it seems like a sensible thing to do.

Fundamentally polishing a car properly will always be best and will produce the best results but in the modern world very few people have the time to do it. Hence why these treatments have been introduced. I do like the fact that finally we can apply other products over the top and not worry that the sealant wont be destroyed and any warranty provided negiated.
Andy-GTI
Options: R

Post by Andy-GTI »

All those 'life shine' type things are an utter con.

Have you actually looked at the state ot he paint work on most ocf the dealer cars, its utterly shocking, swirls scratches and generally dull looking paint, even on the cars with the coatings.

Langord : You don't get any sort of warranty with them either. . .
langlord

Post by langlord »

wirl marks and orange peel is not down to wax types etc. thats due to paint application and prep etc and I agree on modern cars its shocking bad how many cars have this issue. You wont be able to sort that with just waxing a car, though it will improve it without a doubt. To actually sort out that sort of issue properly you will have to have a full exterior workup which will easily cost circa £300 to £500 and thats just for starters, I know some companies quote in excess of £1000, which is made as you can get a blow over for that sort of money.

With regards to the warrenty, the autoglym system as sold by VW clearly states 10 years. I realise there is bound to be small print and its not worth the paper its written on but hey it still something.

As for not worth it, a baic valet these days costs £60 to £100 so basically all I am paying for is for that to be done with having a slightly harder wax sealant applied. so I dont think its a waste of money on that front seeing as I only paid £100.
JonR356
In: Deep Black
Options: Parking sensors, cruise control, flat tyre sensor, mats

Post by JonR356 »

Swirl marks are not down to the initial application of the paint. They are fine scratches in the clear coat, usually caused when washing the car in a less than ideal way (machine car washes for one)

£100 seems reasonable for the treatment. I certainly wouldn't pay any more than that.
Build week 44, collection date 24/11/08