Clay bar - orange specks

Info about the best cleaning products and detailing.
SciroccoCW
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Oryx White
With a: Manual box
Options: 2015MY, Bi-Xenon, 18" Interlagos, Start/Stop, Bluetooth, Sat Nav, Panoramic Roof, Parking Sensors, Heated Seats, Interior LED's, Projector Puddle Lights, Mudflaps, Winter Pack, Rubber Mats, Stainless Steel Pedals, VCDS Tweaks

Clay bar - orange specks

Post by SciroccoCW »

So I went over the car with a clay bar yesterday.. only the second time I've done it. I think the previous owner never clay bared or decontaminated the paint because it has little orange specks which look like tiny rust dots. I found that some of them pulled out with the clay bar but others wouldn't budge. I tried applying a bit more pressure but they still wouldn't budge. Should I try Iron X again?

Id like for the paint work to be perfect so I'm not polishing and sealing over imperfections and small specks of contamination like this.. but being new to detailing I'm not aware of the best methods or what to expect.

Twice since buying the car I have foamed the car, cleaned it with a microfibre wash mit two bucket method, then used Iron X, then clay bar, then polish and wax/sealant.
P44RYT
I drive a: R-Line
In: Candy White
Options: Airlift Performance, Rotiform TMB 3piece 2&3" polished lips, Full 2015+ R Facelift, R-Line spec, Stage 1 remap, Black splitter & skirt extensions, Twin exit PowerFlow exhaust, Carbon Fibre diffuser, Full RamAir, Full interior & exterior white LEDs

Re: Clay bar - orange specks

Post by P44RYT »

What clay bar & clay lube are you using? Ones from eBay, "3M" ones or cheapos are absolutely a waste of time. Make sure you're using a branded clay bar such as AutoFinesse if you aren't already,
then i'd try some tar remover such as AutoGlym's Tar Remover liquid, works absolute wonders and got all of the orange and black dots off my paint!

Tom
https://www.instagram.com/p44ryt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SciroccoCW
Options: 2015MY, Bi-Xenon, 18" Interlagos, Start/Stop, Bluetooth, Sat Nav, Panoramic Roof, Parking Sensors, Heated Seats, Interior LED's, Projector Puddle Lights, Mudflaps, Winter Pack, Rubber Mats, Stainless Steel Pedals, VCDS Tweaks

Post by SciroccoCW »

I'm using Bilt Hambers medium clay with soapy water in a spray bottle, perhaps your right and I should have another once over with the CarPro Iron X to help remove or minimise the contaminants before using the clay bar again.
Harry_VW
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Heated leather, navigation, panoramic roof, 19" lugano, pearlescent black.

Post by Harry_VW »

SciroccoCW wrote:I'm using Bilt Hambers medium clay with soapy water in a spray bottle, perhaps your right and I should have another once over with the CarPro Iron X to help remove or minimise the contaminants before using the clay bar again.
bilt hamber make the best clay bars imo. the medium should do the job just fine. With the regular one ive managed to remove overspray. They always leave the paint feeling like glass.
SciroccoCW

Post by SciroccoCW »

It just wouldn't take some of the orange specks out.. I was moving from right to left in straight lines across the panels over the contaminants. I tried applying a bit more pressure but they wouldn't come out. So perhaps I should use Iron X again