Which Professional Detailer to go with?

Info about the best cleaning products and detailing.
RoccoR
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Indium Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: Cruise control,
power fold mirrors, LED puddle lights,
VW app. connect (Apple CarPlay),
full (blue) LED interior

Post by RoccoR »

I'm collecting my new Scirocco 2.0 TSI GTS this Wednesday and my best mate, who's a car fanatic said I should invest in getting the car to a professional detailer as soon as I collect it. This is what he said:

" To get the best out of the paint work I'd recommend going to a professional detailer and getting them to detail the car as they will love fresh paint and will get it looking the best the car will. Paint work always has imperfections when coming out of the factory and they will make it amazing for sure. It's expensive but we'll worth it in the long run for your paint and makes it easier for you to keep clean. (just a thought ;)). "

I have found a couple of professional detailers locally. Both differ greatly in terms of price. The first guy is called Paul Dalton of Miracle Detail. I spoke to him on the phone and he said he would need the car for 3 days and it would cost £1800. He is world renowned for his work. This following text is taken from his website:

A brand new car will gleam under the showroom lights but to the expert eye there may be paint defects in the clear coat that, while very subtle, prevent the finish from being quite as spectacular as it could be. This is where Paul Dalton comes into his own. His ability to detect and remove these almost invisible blemishes is what enables him to make beautiful cars shine like never before.

Website for Miracle Detail: http://www.miracledetail.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A mate of mine put me in contact with a mate of his who owns a company that does car detailing. I also spoke with him. He can offer a service that provides a 5 year protection (Gtechniq Coating) to paintwork and all exterior parts, including glass and also interior, including the leather seats for around £500.

Website for Far2Kleen: http://www.far2kleen.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would be interested in your views and feedback. I'm not loaded and especially since buying a brand new Scirocco. However, I want the best for my investment. I'm wondering what really is the difference between the two different companies? What would you do? Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers :)
scottwilliams97
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: APR Stage 1, Milltek non-resonated catback and decat system, H&R Springs, Full Black leather, Upgraded Dynaudio speakers, Panoramic sunroof, Rear parking sensors.

Re: Which Professional Detailer to go with?

Post by scottwilliams97 »

If you're after opinions then I can tell you straight up there's NO chance I'd get the car professionally detailed for £1,800, I don't care who's doing it, that's ridiculous...

I seriously doubt it would add any value to the car at all, I'd save the money or spend it on performance.

I'm sure someone on here will disagree with me but nobody can argue that 1800 quid for tarting up a factory fresh car is mental - Unless you are loaded ofc. :)
Harry_VW
In: Deep Black
Options: Heated leather, navigation, panoramic roof, 19" lugano, pearlescent black.

Post by Harry_VW »

scottwilliams97 wrote:If you're after opinions then I can tell you straight up there's NO chance I'd get the car professionally detailed for £1,800, I don't care who's doing it, that's ridiculous...

I seriously doubt it would add any value to the car at all, I'd save the money or spend it on performance.

I'm sure someone on here will disagree with me but nobody can argue that 1800 quid for tarting up a factory fresh car is mental - Unless you are loaded ofc. :)
If you own a £100,000 car then yeah, spend the money
Harry_VW
Options: Heated leather, navigation, panoramic roof, 19" lugano, pearlescent black.

Post by Harry_VW »

Mk3GTS wrote:
A mate of mine put me in contact with a mate of his who owns a company that does car detailing. I also spoke with him. He can offer a service that provides a 5 year protection (Gtechniq Coating) to paintwork and all exterior parts, including glass and also interior, including the leather seats for around £500.

Website for Far2Kleen: http://www.far2kleen.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does the service also include a machine polish? If it does that's a very good price. Gtechnig/Sio2 coatings are great.

What you need will depend on the quality of the paint. If its full of swirls you don't want to seal them in with a ceramic coating. If the paint is in good condition, then you can skip straight to the LSP.

ps. you wont get 5 years protection from it :)
RoccoR
full (blue) LED interior

Post by RoccoR »

Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated your thoughts, opinions. If I owned a Lamborghini Aventador or Ferrari 458 then I would definitely go to Paul Dalton. But, I'm going to go with the £500 detailer - more within my budget :)
scottwilliams97
In: Candy White
Options: APR Stage 1, Milltek non-resonated catback and decat system, H&R Springs, Full Black leather, Upgraded Dynaudio speakers, Panoramic sunroof, Rear parking sensors.

Post by scottwilliams97 »

Mk3GTS wrote:Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated your thoughts, opinions. If I owned a Lamborghini Aventador or Ferrari 458 then I would definitely go to Paul Dalton. But, I'm going to go with the £500 detailer - more within my budget :)
Seems like the smart thing to do! Be sure to let us know how you get on mate.
RoccoR
full (blue) LED interior

Post by RoccoR »

Hi Scott,
Thanks for your reply. Well I collected my car today and love it - it's amazing.

My mate introduced me to a friend of his who also has a business that does car detailing. When I told him about the Gtechniq Coating, he said I would be better off going with something called Ceramic Pro which he offers. He said to look it up on YouTube and told me it provides excellent protection and far superior to Gtechniq.

Has anyone heard of Ceramic Pro?

Paradox1
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by Paradox1 »

Thats crazy money lol

Just get a machine polish and be down with it for a year or so.

1800 quid could get you to stage 2 if DSG
xjay1337
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

Mk3GTS wrote:Hi Scott,
Thanks for your reply. Well I collected my car today and love it - it's amazing.

My mate introduced me to a friend of his who also has a business that does car detailing. When I told him about the Gtechniq Coating, he said I would be better off going with something called Ceramic Pro which he offers. He said to look it up on YouTube and told me it provides excellent protection and far superior to Gtechniq.

Ceramic pro is basically the same as the Gtechniq stuff.

Go to pvd and find a decent one in your area. There's a lot in Sussex.
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
Luther
In: Pure White

Post by Luther »

I'm in the same boat as you having only had my R for a fortnight but I've decided to derail it myself and put the savings towards a stage 1 map and a DA polisher. Just waiting for a dry day now....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Mr OCD
In: Shadow Blue
Options: All of them ... lol

Post by Mr OCD »

Mk3GTS wrote:

It's similar stuff and certainly not superior at all.

I've used most of them now being a detailer myself.

On a new car I'd recommend GTechniq Serum. But you would not get that for £500.

Ask for a breakdown of exactly what you are getting for £500.

Yes Paul is expensive. But the work and prep he puts into cars is what makes it so expensive. It cannot be compared to a £500 detail.

Feel free to ask any questions - happy to help. :)
VW Scirocco GT 170 in shadow blue metallic with vienna leather, cruise control, parking radar, nav, bluetooth and dynaudio sound system. Remapped and shortshift fitted.
Harry_VW

Post by Harry_VW »

Mr OCD wrote:
Mk3GTS wrote:

It's similar stuff and certainly not superior at all.

I've used most of them now being a detailer myself.

On a new car I'd recommend GTechniq Serum. But you would not get that for £500.

Ask for a breakdown of exactly what you are getting for £500.

Yes Paul is expensive. But the work and prep he puts into cars is what makes it so expensive. It cannot be compared to a £500 detail.

Feel free to ask any questions - happy to help. :)
What would you say is the 'best bang for your buck' ceramic sealant? Are they all relatively similar; carpro cquartz, gtechniq, gyeon...etc?
SciroccoCW
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Oryx White
Options: 2015MY, Bi-Xenon, 18" Interlagos, Start/Stop, Bluetooth, Sat Nav, Panoramic Roof, Parking Sensors, Heated Seats, Interior LED's, Projector Puddle Lights, Mudflaps, Winter Pack, Rubber Mats, Stainless Steel Pedals, VCDS Tweaks

Post by SciroccoCW »

I use Gtechniq C2 V3, it is very good giving a lovely high gloss shine. I did a lot of reading before I bought it to make sure I was getting something worth using. There are videos on Youtube that show cars with C2 V3 applied and a year+ on-wards they are still beading.

It's cost effective too, I got a 500ml bottle for about £19 on Amazon with free delivery. It's really easy to apply I done 3 coats in about 35 mins.

xjay1337
In: Rising Blue
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

Mr OCD wrote:
Mk3GTS wrote:

Paul's work is no better than any other decent detailer.
Certainly £500 with many detailers will go much further than £500 with Paul. Who last I heard tried to put his prices up to £100 per hour!
5 hours for me is a thorough decontamination and perhaps polish and refine one panel.

Paul was ahead of the curve and as such being basically the only UK "celebrity" in detailing charges through the teeth.

I have just done my friends A5 with Crystal Serum and that took us from 8am to 7pm on Saturday, and then 9am to 1pm on Sunday. That was S3/S40 combination on whole car.

Realistically <£600 is the going rate. Paul would charge at least £2000 for that level of work. I can guarantee that it's not £1500 better.
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
3t3p
In: Viper Green
Options: R-tech Stage 1, Forge Twin take,19'' Talladegas, Rear sensors, Heated leather, RNS510 Satnav + Dynaudio, Tinted glass, LED Interior lighting, Electric folding mirrors, Custom mats, CBI Xenons, Yellowstuff pads

Post by 3t3p »

Do it yourself learn a life skill that's just me

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
3t3p
In: Viper Green
Options: R-tech Stage 1, Forge Twin take,19'' Talladegas, Rear sensors, Heated leather, RNS510 Satnav + Dynaudio, Tinted glass, LED Interior lighting, Electric folding mirrors, Custom mats, CBI Xenons, Yellowstuff pads

Post by 3t3p »

+ LOL at your mate and the £1800 suggestion on anything but a supercar

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Stuartb
Options: Cornsilk/black leather, parking sensors, Dynaudio. Fitted RNS 510.

Post by Stuartb »

I had my Golf done by Paul Dalton. It was considerably cheaper 7 years ago (although I do remember trying to haggle a bit by reducing the work and the price went up ;-) ). He applied Exo when it was quite new. On a year old silver car, the difference after correction was not staggering but Exo (or similar I suspect) has been well worth having. I don't let anyone else wash it and I now use Gwash and then C2V3 to protect it. Just did it again this weekend after not washing since last year (had an extreme year!) and it looks terrific and still cleans up more easily than previous cars that had not been corrected and protected.

Paul was very good and is phenomenally detailed. I know someone who had/has a very large fleet of cars detailed by him, but I guess he'll charge what he can. There's more money than sense in high end cars nowaways, so good luck to him. I had another car detailed by Elite Detailing - again a very good job, but he also then moved up into the stratosphere and only seemed to want to deal with Lambos and Zondas owned by sheikhs. There are other competent detailers around at different price levels of course. I don't have any other first hand experience but have heard good things about Refined Detail also (but will depend where you're located I suppose).