Transponders for all vehicles?

Every site needs an off topic forum, right?
salsajoe
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box
Options: multifunction steering wheel, fogs, 18" alloys; DAB; XDS activated, DRLs reset, lock beep activated; indicator repeat set to 4; covered cup holder, rear seat 12v socket installed. metal pedals, 210 Golf GTi also in the stable. Scirocco gone - miss it. Polo GTI now.

Transponders for all vehicles?

Post by salsajoe »

Read recently that all new cars (assume new models) from October 2014 are required to have position transponders fitted under new EU regulations to be able to find them in an emergency. Not found any info since. Anyone else heard about this?
HoverDonkey
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Cruise control, winter pack, folding wing mirrors, parking sensors, Dynaudio, Vienna leather

Re: Transponders for all vehicles?

Post by HoverDonkey »

All sounds rather scarily Orwellian to me.

Surely the total loss of privacy far outweighs the slim chance that you'll crash in the back of beyond? If this is actually true, then I'm giving up all hope for humanity...
salsajoe
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box
Options: multifunction steering wheel, fogs, 18" alloys; DAB; XDS activated, DRLs reset, lock beep activated; indicator repeat set to 4; covered cup holder, rear seat 12v socket installed. metal pedals, 210 Golf GTi also in the stable. Scirocco gone - miss it. Polo GTI now.

Re: Transponders for all vehicles?

Post by salsajoe »

HoverDonkey wrote:All sounds rather scarily Orwellian to me.

Surely the total loss of privacy far outweighs the slim chance that you'll crash in the back of beyond? If this is actually true, then I'm giving up all hope for humanity...
Yes had the same view on this that was why I tried to find out more.