iPhone 5s anyone?

Every site needs an off topic forum, right?
whiteDevil_170
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

iPhone 5s anyone?

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

What's people's opinion on the newly realised iPhone 5s.
http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone-5s/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Was holding out for it but I'm not sure if I should get one or not. Not overly impressed with it. Faster chip , duel flash , and a fingerprint reader which does seem cool. iPhone 5c just seems like complete waste of time. Only £80 cheaper.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
Kev
Administrator
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Re: iPhone 5s anyone?

Post by Kev »

Not enough to upgrade from my 4S.

I think the innovation is massively slowing down now in this market because there isn't much left to add.
What did samsung put on the last galaxy that was innovative? Being able to scroll by nodding your head? W00p! I wonder how many people actually use that. All the companies have hit a massive plateau now on new features. The biggest new stuff on the 5S (ignoring the fingerprinter) was changes to the camera. That says a lot when they spend a good chunk of the keynote talking about camera features on a phone.

As for Apple's pricing, I think they've really missed the boat here. They had the chance to put the 4S tech in to a cheap plastic case and push it out for sub-£300 and bag a big chunk of that market but they've ended up with 2 phones only £80 apart, one of which looks a lot cheaper than the other.

But then maybe they're playing the longer game? In 12 months they might be able to push the 5C down the market a bit, discontinue the 4S and thus save money by not having to make a smaller screen and the 30pin connector any more, and knock £100 off the price.
RisingRoc
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: 2 Zone Air Con, Alloy pedals, Luxury Mats, Chrome Exhaust Tips, Rear Cup Holder, HKB Door Sills, Full LED pack

Post by RisingRoc »

Kev wrote:Not enough to upgrade from my 4S.
Not enough to upgrade from my 4! Especially as my contract is minuscule compared to the new 4G contracts and the outlay for the phone.
whiteDevil_170
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

I'm thinking the same. I have a 4 and can't justify getting a 5s . I'm considering just buying a htc one. Found a good deal.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
roccopanda
In: Indium Grey

Post by roccopanda »

I went for the 5S - been quite happy with my 4 up till now but fancy 64GB as I'm almost always full these days.

I'm sure Apple will sell loads, but I think they missed a bit of a trick with the 5c. If it was £100 cheaper they'd get a whole extra segment of customers in I think. As it stands, it's cheaper to buy a 5 (basically the same phone as a 5c) second hand than a 5c. Swings and roundabouts I guess though.
whiteDevil_170
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

I decided to try something new and got a samsung s4. Very happy with It.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
skippy
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

I am tempted, my iPhone4 is well over 3 years old now and the battery life does not seem quite so good any more. Also the home key seems to not respond very well any more, sometimes requires several presses. I swear that iOS7 is using more battery power as well, I have turned off unwanted services (ie Bluetooth for example), or location services on certain apps, but it seems to drop like a stone now.

My current SIM only contract is only costing me £10/month, bit loathed really to be looking at a £50/month new contract.
whiteDevil_170
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

skippy wrote:I am tempted, my iPhone4 is well over 3 years old now and the battery life does not seem quite so good any more. Also the home key seems to not respond very well any more, sometimes requires several presses. I swear that iOS7 is using more battery power as well, I have turned off unwanted services (ie Bluetooth for example), or location services on certain apps, but it seems to drop like a stone now.

My current SIM only contract is only costing me £10/month, bit loathed really to be looking at a £50/month new contract.
pretty much exactly the same issues mine developed. Plus I ended up dropping it and smashing the screen so was forced to get a new phone. Very happy with the s4. I would buy an apple iphone again but it would have to up its game a lot to interest me .
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
Kev
Administrator
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

The biggest power sapper in iOS7 seems to be the background checking for app updates.

I've kept my 4S on iOS6 for the moment.
whiteDevil_170
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

There is a new update available. Was on my ipad this morning and it popped up. Not sure what the changes are
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
Rob
In: Salsa Red
Options: Scirocco's gone!

Post by Rob »

My power loss was cut dramatically when I turned off the moving wallpaper.
Skollers
Options: ECU Remapped to 175bhp
Bluetooth (OEM)
Cruise Control
Parking Sensors
Upgraded bulbs

Post by Skollers »

Rob wrote:My power loss was cut dramatically when I turned off the moving wallpaper.
How do you turn this feature off ?

Cheers in advance.
2009 2.0gt tdi 140bhp
2003 Suzuki Gsxr 1000 Rizla green/yellow (My baby) !
skippy
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

Yes - I think this must be an iPhone5(s) feature as I can't find it on my 4.

Under Settings, General, Accessibility, and then switch on Reduce Motion which turns off the home screen's parallax view.
RisingRoc
Options: 2 Zone Air Con, Alloy pedals, Luxury Mats, Chrome Exhaust Tips, Rear Cup Holder, HKB Door Sills, Full LED pack

Post by RisingRoc »

skippy wrote:Yes - I think this must be an iPhone5(s) feature as I can't find it on my 4.

Under Settings, General, Accessibility, and then switch on Reduce Motion which turns off the home screen's parallax view.
It's on everything but the 4. Really disappointed with the feature compared to the demo shown early on. Most people don't even realise it's there!