How do we turn off the ESP?

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Mk3Mike
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Premium package
RCD 510
Automatic Climate Control
BSR ECU-upgrade = 193bhp & 291Nm (215ftlb)

How do we turn off the ESP?

Post by Mk3Mike »

Does anyone know?

I tried removing the #2 and #4 fuses. They are both for the esp and the abs. The car just died on me and wouldn't start without the fuses in place..

What's the trick? Anyone?
ryancooke
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
Options: xenons, folding mirrors, dynamic audio, floor mats (free) autoglym (free)

now modified with dump valve, boost gauge in custom made vent, "gt" steering wheel badge, carbon fibre badges, rs4 wheels, lowered 35mm, private plate S18OCO, custom de-cat and cat back exhaust with quad tips, air filter behind fog lamp heat wrapped, customised front bumper grills painted gloss black, customised rear bumper smoothed and lower spoiler painted gloss black, mouldings and mirrors sprayed in gloss black, gloss black roof and rear spoiler, colour coded dash trims, door trims, centre console trims and rear seat trims, led fog light bulbs, s3 intercooler, audi a4 "S line" gear knob, newspeed hi-flow throttle body pipe, newspeed hi-flow turbo pipe, uprated dog mount bush, front to back and side to side quickshift, 20mm front spacers

Re: How do we turn off the ESP?

Post by ryancooke »

im not sure that you can if you dont have the button infront of your gear stick :shrug:
MY CARS IS SOLD 21.5K BETTER OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CTRnutter
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: Winter Pack, Leather, Alu Pedals, GT Steering Wheel Badge, Side Sills, Superchips Re-Map, Milltek Non-Res, K&N Induction Kit

Post by CTRnutter »

sorry confused a little ? you just push the off button or am I missing something here? :?
Car is now Sold!!!!! BMW 7 Series for now as nice and big but holding out for something a little special as my toy :)
Mk3Mike
RCD 510

Post by Mk3Mike »

yeah, well pushing the button makes the esp sign in the panel blink, however that only turns off the anti-spin function not the stability protection...
CTRnutter
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: Winter Pack, Leather, Alu Pedals, GT Steering Wheel Badge, Side Sills, Superchips Re-Map, Milltek Non-Res, K&N Induction Kit

Post by CTRnutter »

Mk3Mike wrote:yeah, well pushing the button makes the esp sign in the panel blink, however that only turns off the anti-spin function not the stability protection...
ahh i see ok! Was about to say when I took it up the pod it launched hard and there was no interference from the on board systems, my car being dsg and using the launch control :) what does the stability system do with regards to how the car drives? as I have noticed a lot of understeer! I have put it down to the salt and crap on the roads and the Dunlop tyres? :)
Car is now Sold!!!!! BMW 7 Series for now as nice and big but holding out for something a little special as my toy :)
Mk3Mike
RCD 510

Post by Mk3Mike »

CTRnutter wrote:
Mk3Mike wrote:yeah, well pushing the button makes the esp sign in the panel blink, however that only turns off the anti-spin function not the stability protection...
ahh i see ok! Was about to say when I took it up the pod it launched hard and there was no interference from the on board systems, my car being dsg and using the launch control :) what does the stability system do with regards to how the car drives? as I have noticed a lot of understeer! I have put it down to the salt and crap on the roads and the Dunlop tyres? :)

The stability system counteracts drifting, sliding and over steering.. Which means it won't allow you to drift and/or slide around with your roc. I tried my roc on the frozen lake last weekend and it wasn't a whole lot of fun with the system engaged...
JayR
Options: Truffle Leather - Dynaudio - DAB - Electric Mirrors - Badge Deletion - Milltek Catback Exhaust - Forge DV - Stage 1 GIAC Switchable Re-Map

Post by JayR »

have u tried pressing and holding the button for 2/3 sec
works on my tt mk2 i guess its a similar system

cheers

JayR
Mk3Mike
RCD 510

Post by Mk3Mike »

JayR wrote:have u tried pressing and holding the button for 2/3 sec
works on my tt mk2 i guess its a similar system
cheers
JayR

I've tried averything you can imagine. Including removing the the fuses. the roc wont't allow it and I hate it.. :grumpy:

So I was hoping someone here had the solution?
drkaos

Post by drkaos »

Also the new bmw's have the option to turn everything off, by holding the button for 2-3 secs. On the roc, this won't work.

I'm also eager to find a solution for this..
Candy Monster
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, DVD Nav, Premium Sills, Alloy pedals, Boot Liner, Custom GT Mats, GT badge, 20s, Cruise, R32 trim, Silver 'A pieces', debadged, White VW badges, Eibach springs, Revo, custom enginge cover, custom air dam, orange rub strips

Post by Candy Monster »

Have you searched through VAGCOM? just an idea...
drkaos

Post by drkaos »

A vag-mechanic told me today that the esp will always be online on these new vw's, you can't even uncode them with vagcom.
There is another silly feature for track-use, and that is the warning-blinkers turning on when you break hard from 60-80km/h and down to under 30, they atuomatically turn themselves on. That can (on the other hand) be removed with vagcom.
Mk3Mike
RCD 510

Post by Mk3Mike »

That actually pisses me off... :irked:

It's my car. I've bought it, I own it. It shouldn't be up to VW to decide what I can or can not turn off...

I love track days. A big part of them is to get to know the limits and your cars limits. What's there to learn anymore? :shrug:
gggg!

Post by gggg! »

I have read from a journalist article that in an SLK Edition10 (2006-2007model year) even though
you cannot turn off esp, they tried an algorithm through trip computer and manage to turnt it off
along with the abs...
Maybe there is a similar way to do it on the Rocco.
Probably an engineer familiar with last generation esp systems could help...
DavidH
In: Rising Blue
Options: Vienna Leather, Xenons, Dynaudio, Factory Bluetooth and Mats

Post by DavidH »

Mk3Mike wrote:That actually pisses me off... :irked:

It's my car. I've bought it, I own it. It shouldn't be up to VW to decide what I can or can not turn off...

I love track days. A big part of them is to get to know the limits and your cars limits. What's there to learn anymore? :shrug:
Yeah but a car like this isn't much fun on the track anyway, better off hiring something more suitable than forking out for track day insurance on you nice shiney road car, not to mention replacing the tyres afterwards.

It's not like it makes it corner on rails anyway, you can still slide it about plenty, i do it everyday :nod: It doesn't stop you finding the limit in any way whatsoever, it corrects the car if your technique is poor, keep the slide balanced (like it should be) and the esp doesn't get involved. Pulling big oversteer slides gets you in trouble on a lot of trackdays anyway.
MancDave

Post by MancDave »

Get honda Integra type r Dc2 if you want a raw exciting track car with no modern gizmo's in, for around 2-3k strip it out "bobs your uncle ":D

Only the price of sat nav or dsg and leather as a option .

plus you can give it full death every track day knowing it won.t break 200bhp raw no turbo 1060kg keeps up with most on track especially round the twisties, :yes:

Then keep your new exclusive Roc for the street and to pose :nod:

Thats exactly the way im doing and or looking at it :)

Dave