Trim above pedals

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
ayeaye
Options: Candy White Scirocco - August 2009 - March 2013
Now replaced with a MINI Cooper S

Trim above pedals

Post by ayeaye »

I've just been out replacing the footwell LEDs and one thing I noticed is that when I put the trim back on that's above the pedals (held on by 2 torx screws) that was removed to get to the light, when it goes back on it's drooping slightly at each end.

I'd noticed on the side nearest the centre console before but have never noticed on the end by the door - but then you wouldn't unless you were down at floor level.

Is this normal for this piece of trim - the screw holes line up fine and it's tightly in, so I was wondering whether I've missed something when refitting the trim. If it's normal then it's a poor piece of design by VW.

Cheers
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Re: Trim above pedals

Post by RW1 »

Its not a matter of just lifting it up and putting the the torx bolts. Before that, the inboard side need slipping in behind the side wall of the forward centre console extension or rest on top of it. It also latches over a metal peg at the front corner.

The other side is loose except for engaging the front corner in a slot forward of the footwell light unit.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
ayeaye

Post by ayeaye »

Thanks - I saw the metal peg on the left that it latches over.
I'll have another look tomorrow when it's day light - I did see the clip next to one of the torx screws and that clipped in OK, but hadn't seen anything other than the metal peg for it to latch onto. I may have missed the slot behind the light unit.

Cheers
ayeaye

Post by ayeaye »

Had another look this morning, the panel's slotted in behind the light, maybe "drooping" was an exaggeration but it doesn't sit flush with the plastic under the dash. It was probably like that before I removed it as there's nothing to support it there. Ho hum.
Shaun
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

If its not rattling or hanging dangerously then you wont ever see it unless you put your head down there LOL
ayeaye

Post by ayeaye »

Shaun wrote:If its not rattling or hanging dangerously then you wont ever see it unless you put your head down there LOL
It's not rattling and it's secure enough - just seems like crap design with nothing to support the corner.
C00kie
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Pewter Grey
With a: Manual box
Options: heated leather seats, DAB radio, rear privacy glass, rear parking sensors
Mods: Revo stage 1, Tarox G88 discs/Strada pads, Eibach Pro Kit springs, BCS sport catback system, K&N air filter, R8 coilpacks, interior LED lights, OEM LED number plate lights, pressed number plates

Post by C00kie »

ayeaye wrote:I've just been out replacing the footwell LEDs and one thing I noticed is that when I put the trim back on that's above the pedals (held on by 2 torx screws) that was removed to get to the light, when it goes back on it's drooping slightly at each end.
Hi, does anyone know what size these torx screws are and where I could get spares? Seem to have lost one and the trim is rattling like mad!

Thanks.