Strange Noise

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Dazz-ler

Strange Noise

Post by Dazz-ler »

I've just aquired a 2.0TDI GT and to date I'm pretty impressed with the looks, power, and general feel of the car. However, there have been a few strange noises I've noticed and to be honest I'm none the wiser where they are. The most annoying noise is almost like a panel banging on another panel.

The problem is it sounds as thought its coming from several different places. It's noticable both on the nearside and the offside rear 3/4 panel and occasionally it sounds noticable in front of me towards the floor. I'm wondering if theres something loose under the car or whether the doors aren't properly positioned. I took it to Volkswagon who admited they could hear the noise but came up with nothing. I've decided to take it back to them and tell them to get it sorted but I want to focus my attentions on telling them where the problem is as appose to letting them 'investigate' it. I've read numerous threads on here that briefly touch upon it but most seem to focus on the the tailgate and I'm not convinced thats where the noise is coming from.

To summarise
The noise is only present on rough road and tends to be at slow speeds
Braking sharpy causes the tapping/knocking and often slowing down to a stop also triggers the knocking
The noise sounds as though its coming from the rear 3/4 panels (above the wheel arches) and underneath that area
Occasionally the nouise sounds like it comes from under the car near the front sides (doors both offside/nearside)

I don't want it to drive me crazy but the longer it goes on the more it will put me off the car.

Has anyone had any similar problems and what might the fix be?
goatboy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Salsa Red
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather!

Re: Strange Noise

Post by goatboy »

There is lots of threads about noisey boot lids. Have you looked at those?
Dazz-ler

Post by Dazz-ler »

It's definately not the boot. I do get a squeaking noise from the boot but I'll get that sorted at a later date. The knocking is coming from the side 3/4 panel/underneath. It sounds to me like a loose fuel tank or loose panel.
7ashkal
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
Options: R-line specs, DSG, Leather, Air-con, Cruise control...

Post by 7ashkal »

Hey! I have a month old sirocco 2.0 and that noise happened to me straight out of the dealers. It sounds like two metals banging against each other or clicking against each other and most noticeable from the drivers side near the air-con outlet. My service centre kept it with them for two days and figured out that it was the heat rejection plate next to the engine making the noise. It was a little loose and just needed tightening.
Dazz-ler

Post by Dazz-ler »

You could be onto something there although the noise does sound as though its from under the car or the rear side panels. It's got to be a loose panel though as it knocks if I brake. I hope its easy enough to sort as its driving me insane.

It'd be handy if other people have had expereinces of this where its been fixed.
skyblues11
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: cruise control, front foglight, Multi.f.steering wheel,
tyre indicator

Post by skyblues11 »

is it like what i had been thru? a mix between alum. dish scrapping against the floor, together with drum brake pad rubbing against the drum?

only at low , rolling speed towards stopping?

i have opened a tread elsewhere about this. check it out and see if it can help.
7ashkal
Options: R-line specs, DSG, Leather, Air-con, Cruise control...

Post by 7ashkal »

The sound I got was when the car was slowing down without my foot on the break, a sort of screeching/clicking sounds that was most audible from the front left of the car. Took it to the dealers and a full cleansing of the wheels and brakes, plus tightening the heat protection plate in the engine compartment stopped the noise ever appearing again! If you can take the car to the dealers and tell them to check those issues out
Dazz-ler

Post by Dazz-ler »

Bit of an update on the problem,

Both times I've heard the noise badly after long journeys. The noise is definately coming from under the car/possibly from the rear supension. If I have seats down you can hear a lot of spueaking coming from uner the car so I'm starting to wonder if there's play in the rear wheels? Other than that I've heard people have their heat sheilds insulated and the fuel tank re-alligned. If I bang on the out panel you can hear the fuel tank vibrating and if I knock on the fuel tank it makes a right noise.

The knocking which sounds like a panel tapping/knocking against another panel occurs when at low speeds after a long journey and when braking. You can hear it at any time although its not quite as noticable.

Any ideas?
VWGirl10
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Shadow Blue

Post by VWGirl10 »

Hi

Sorry but new to this.

I have a similar problem with mine, its coming from the front and tends to be when im stationary or just then moving off I get a clackering noise almost.

The annoying thing though is that it doesn't happen all the time but tends to be after ive done fair few miles in my journey.

I do 70 mile round trip everyday and its a bit unnerving hearing this noise.
I've took it to the garage but comeback with nothing.

Any ideas? Its only 6 years old and hasn't even done 50k :(
a4gee
Options: Winter pack,Parking sensors,Dynaudio,Tyre indicator,Pano roof,GT steering wheel badge,VW Mats, rubber/premium,Headlight and led upgrade interior/exterior,Metal pedals inc foot rest,HK sills,R lights,Cup holder for rear,Concealed ashtray,Auto coming home headlights.

Post by a4gee »

Sorry to bring up an old thread but my 09 plate has started doing exactly what the OP described. Low speed over rough/bumpy ground. Have pulled the rear nearside to bits but haven`t found what it is.

Has there been an updated elsewhere in the forum?
a4gee
Options: Winter pack,Parking sensors,Dynaudio,Tyre indicator,Pano roof,GT steering wheel badge,VW Mats, rubber/premium,Headlight and led upgrade interior/exterior,Metal pedals inc foot rest,HK sills,R lights,Cup holder for rear,Concealed ashtray,Auto coming home headlights.

Post by a4gee »

Bumped this one as its really driving me nuts.

Not the tailgate or the plastic part which holds the parcel shelf on.

Not the rear light.

nothing inside the boot.

I`m struggling - someone must know a fix - fingers crossed