Spark Plugs on 1.4TSI 160HP

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
salsajoe
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box
Options: multifunction steering wheel, fogs, 18" alloys; DAB; XDS activated, DRLs reset, lock beep activated; indicator repeat set to 4; covered cup holder, rear seat 12v socket installed. metal pedals, 210 Golf GTi also in the stable. Scirocco gone - miss it. Polo GTI now.

Re: Spark Plugs on 1.4TSI 160HP

Post by salsajoe »

I am a little confused by the recent dialogue.
VW have officially recognised the 1.4TSi 160PS spark plug gap at 0.7mm .
Revised plug part number: (again!) 03C 905 601B.

I have just had my 1.4 TSI serviced (MY 2011 - 20k miles and 2 years). Should the plugs have been changed to the new specification (03C 905 601B) or gap checked and changed to 0.7mm under the VW warranty/servicing? (I note that the 03C 905 601B was mentioned in a Greek Scirocco Forum post in November 2012 but not clear about the context - all a bit Greek to me. Please excuse the pun a bit weak I know.)
hoganb
In: Rising Blue

Post by hoganb »

RW1 wrote:VW have officially recognised the 1.4TSi 160PS spark plug gap at 0.7mm :D :D .
Revised plug part number: (again!) 03C 905 601B.

C.

Any other differences than the gap from the previous plugs?
would you recomend a change from 03c905601a?

Thanks Mike
Scirocco mk III
RW1
Legend
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Not really as the plug is essentially the same. In fact here in the UK, the "B" version is not specified for early 1.4TSi 160PS, still the "A" as you have written. Was checking today for another reason for spare plug.

Looks like the 03C 905 601B spark plugs have been restricted for the CAVE engine such as used in the Polo 1.4TSi 180PS GTi.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
hoganb
In: Rising Blue

Post by hoganb »

Thanks Chris!
Scirocco mk III
gkatsi
Options: Palladas of www.sciroccoclub.gr
Pla, tyre presure sensor, panroof, interlagos, sport package, rcd 510

Re: Απ: Spark Plugs on 1.4TSI 160HP

Post by gkatsi »

Sorry but I need some clarifications here.

As I mentioned before the spark plugs ending with B are iridium, but spark plugs ending with A are platinum (at least according to ngk codes). Why do you suggest that this two spark plugs are essentially the same?

Also if I got it right, the B revision is for engines with codes other than CAVD?

I am really interested to know why vw changed plugs from platinum to iridium. Any suggestions or theories?

Sent from my mobile device
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Re: Απ: Spark Plugs on 1.4TSI 160HP

Post by RW1 »

gkatsi wrote:As I mentioned before the spark plugs ending with B are iridium, but spark plugs ending with A are platinum (at least according to ngk codes). Why do you suggest that this two spark plugs are essentially the same?
They do not change the engine characteristic. Hoganb's question is more deep rooted relating to his mapped engine. Not worth H spending the money considering he has just fitted new "A" plugs.
gkatsi wrote:Also if I got it right, the B revision is for engines with codes other than CAVD?
Now "A" applies to Scirocco (CAVD) and all other CAVD engine installations, and any other CAVA, CAVB. CAVC & CAVD engine . Its only going in the PoloGTI MY2013 new builds.
gkatsi wrote:I am really interested to know why vw changed plugs from platinum to iridium. Any suggestions or theories?
For the Scirocco they haven't. They may still change again.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
chris_tsi

Post by chris_tsi »

A few days ago I visited the local VW dealer in order to buy spark plugs for my rocco (CAVD engine/bought 02/2009). He asked for my VIN and came back with four spark plugs type 03C 905 601B. In fact, he double-checked the part number before he gave them to me to make sure he was giving me the “B” ones…
labmousee
In: Night Blue
Options: None

Post by labmousee »

RW1 wrote: VW have officially recognised the 1.4TSi 160PS spark plug gap at 0.7mm :D :D .
Revised plug part number: (again!) 03C 905 601B.[/color]
Is there any reference to the above? The 03C 905 601B plugs have a spark gap of 0.8mm...
Stefano82
In: Deep Black

Post by Stefano82 »

On Golf with CAVD engine we all mount from a long time the B version of spark plug with any problem. The B version is the right part!
alexandruvlad
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by alexandruvlad »

Hello guys!
Sorry for reviving this old thread, but need a suggestion for my engine as well.

Running a BMY here - with NGK BR7EIX
Stock software, no tuning

From what i know these are referred as "cold" plugs, therefore asking for a suggestion on what OEM plugs to use during the cold season, please - what's the latest revision for the 1.4 TwinCharged, please?

Thanks and regards
tSeL
Options: Etuners stage 1 100 RON ,custom exhaust , s3 intercooler , custom intake, tmg bov

Post by tSeL »

03C905601B SIZFR6B8EG.I m using those even at stage 1 and close to 250 hp
alexandruvlad

Post by alexandruvlad »

Ok, so these have a different gap size than BR7EIX, i'm guessing

A little question though - perhaps some of you know it - should this be the OE Part version or can i buy the NGK counterpart (NGK 96209 - SIZFR6B8EG) - it would cost around 30% lower, that's why i ask.

Thanks for the advice, considering it!
blower
In: Reflex Silver

Post by blower »

alexandruvlad wrote:Ok, so these have a different gap size than BR7EIX, i'm guessing

A little question though - perhaps some of you know it - should this be the OE Part version or can i buy the NGK counterpart (NGK 96209 - SIZFR6B8EG) - it would cost around 30% lower, that's why i ask.

Thanks for the advice, considering it!
The NGK part is identical to the genuine VW part - NGK make the plugs for VW and the part number 'SIZFR6B8EG' is actually an NGK part number.

By the way, the temperature rating of a spark plug has nothing to do with seasons! - the rating is how much heat absorption there is from the tip of the plug.
A colder plug will absorb more heat from the tip and you would use them when your engine cylinder temperatures are higher than usual (usually due to running leaner).
However if the plug is too 'cold' for the general running temperatures, then it will never get hot enough to burn off carbon and as a result will build up carbon on the tips and could cause misfiring.

For stock or stage 1 maps I recommend the original 03C905601B / SIZFR6B8EG.

BKR7EIX are unnecessarily a colder temperature and result in more carbon fouling. Also they are a shorter, in the sense that the spark plug tip sits higher up in the cylinder and as such can result in a poorer idle and slightly increased fuel consumption from a poorer quality burn at low loads.
alexandruvlad

Post by alexandruvlad »

Done, thanks - SIZFR6B8EG - 4x ordered, will install them on Monday
vasco fernandes

Post by vasco fernandes »

blower wrote: By the way, the temperature rating of a spark plug has nothing to do with seasons! - the rating is how much heat absorption there is from the tip of the plug.
A colder plug will absorb more heat from the tip and you would use them when your engine cylinder temperatures are higher than usual (usually due to running leaner).
However if the plug is too 'cold' for the general running temperatures, then it will never get hot enough to burn off carbon and as a result will build up carbon on the tips and could cause misfiring.

For stock or stage 1 maps I recommend the original 03C905601B / SIZFR6B8EG.

BKR7EIX are unnecessarily a colder temperature and result in more carbon fouling. Also they are a shorter, in the sense that the spark plug tip sits higher up in the cylinder and as such can result in a poorer idle and slightly increased fuel consumption from a poorer quality burn at low loads.
blower, Do you think that R8 coil can prevent carbon fouling in spark plug ?
blower

Post by blower »

vasco fernandes wrote: blower, Do you think that R8 coil can prevent carbon fouling in spark plug ?
Nah - the coil will let you have a slightly larger spark plug gap due to its higher output, but spark plug gap nor coil output strength have any influence on carbon fouling of plugs, this is purely down to cylinder operating temperatures (influenced by driving style and engine map) and plug heat range
This is assuming there is nothing wrong like a faulty/clogged fuel injector.

The higher output of the R8 coils do allow bigger spark plug gaps. Ideally you want the gap to be as big as you can get away with out misfiring under the worst conditions - i.e. under full boost.
The bigger the gap the better the idle and also the lower the fuel consumption in general due to greater burn efficiency.
The bigger gap means the flame kernel resulting from ignition has less of its heat absorbed away by the ground electrode, resulting in a faster and more effective burn on each ignition, especially under low loads.

I have widened mine to 0.85 on my 1.4 TSI with the R8 coils, without any misfiring issues under full boost, and i'm running about 25% more boost than stock atm....still waiting to do my custom map but that should be rectified shortly :)
The stock plugs are actually closer to 0.7mm when measured (despite hem spec'ed at 0.8mm....the specified spark plug gap is a nominal value and more representative of the gap midway through its life).

The above is a bit of a 101 on spark plug physics - so many people don't understand the true operation of spark plugs and get the basic 'science' all wrong - me included until i studied many a research paper some time ago.
vasco fernandes

Post by vasco fernandes »

thank you, excellent answer

My tsi 160 has custom remap and i have bkr7eix with coil stock, because it is recommended by revo.

Do you think it is better to replace to OEM plug ?

There is no idle problem or ignition faults

PS: makes max 1.4bar at 4000rpm and 1.0bar in redline. And AFR 11.7 after 4800rpm
blower

Post by blower »

vasco fernandes wrote:thank you, excellent answer

My tsi 160 has custom remap and i have bkr7eix with coil stock, because it is recommended by revo.

Do you think it is better to replace to OEM plug ?

There is no idle problem or ignition faults

PS: makes max 1.4bar at 4000rpm and 1.0bar in redline. And AFR 11.7 after 4800rpm
If your idle is fine then I wouldn't bother switching, you may get a few percent improvement on MPG with the OEM plugs.
Usually the shorter BKR7EIX plugs do make the idle lumpy and that would be the main reason to switch.

The only other reason to switch is if you primarily do a lot of short journeys (carbon fouling will be greater on the BKR colder plugs if you don't frequently get a good run in)
wallace45
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
Options: 19' Lugano

Post by wallace45 »

Hey guys, will these NGK SIZFR6B8EG plugs be the best option for the 122 hp version too?
Komar
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125

Post by Komar »

yes, I have them on mine 122 ps, and it is mapped to cca 140 ps

but if your is not mapped then I thin OEM plugs are just fine

they work great