Daytime running lights

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
MKAndy
Options: 19" Lugano Alloys, Smokers Pack, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors

Re: Daytime running lights

Post by MKAndy »

My DRLs are turned off, but my auto lights function appears to be knackered as the lights are almost always on anyway, even in bright sunlight!
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

The auto lights have always been on the sensitive side since I had them in my MK5 Golf, the slightest wisp of cloud and they're on.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
Grampa
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Viper Green
Options: Panoramic Sun Roof, Piano Black interior, black 19" wheels

Post by Grampa »

ashley1407 wrote:Johnny did some VAGCOM wizardry and now mine have been turned off. The above mentioned method now works so that I can enable and disable them myself.

Hello - just got my Scirocco on Friday (after a pretty shambolic showing from VW dealers, one of whom 'forgot' to process my order which only came to light 3 months later - finally the 4th one I asked to order me a car with was the first decent VW dealer I found and actually got me the car in 8 weeks), anyway, I found this forum looking for info on how to switch off the DRLs - mine too is Viper Green, and I think that's more than enough to announce my presence, plus to be honest, when I'm driving through town, I can't help feeling that people are thinking, " what a prat" - so having read this thread and only this thread so far, so no idea who Johnny is I'm afraid, what I'd like to know is can the above mentioned "VAGCOM" wizardry be performed by a VW dealer? - mine was built in the 3rd week of April so I assume that's the reason they won't switch off with the indicator stalk procedure.
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

Johnny is one of our members who has a copy of vagcom & knows his way around it.

yes thats the case (MY2010 post week 45 build/MY2010.5) the drl's need to be 'switched off' (in a similar way to the roccopedia article) in vagcom or dealer equivalent system which then allows the indicator stalk method to work.
unfortunately it is very unlikely that a dealer will do this for you as most have been informed not to turn drl's off even though the legislation has not come into effect yet.

S
MarRocco
In: Candy White
Options: Factory fitted: Parking sensors, Folding mirrors, Winter pack, DAB, Smoking pack, Flat tyre indicator, Mats
Home fitted: Metal pedals and footrest, Covered cup holder, hkb door sills, Razos, Door warning lights

Post by MarRocco »

Hi Grampa

If you want sidelights and rear lights on during daylight then for MY2010 post week 45 cars ...
09-Cent. Elect -> Coding - 07 -> Byte 11 -> Bit 2 unchecked [Daytime Running Lights (via Low Beam) active]
09-Cent. Elect -> Coding - 07 -> Byte 15 -> Bit 6 checked [Daytime Running Lights (via separate Lights) active]

If you want no lights during daylight then both Byte 11 -> Bit 2 and Byte 15 -> Bit 6 need to be unchecked.

Would be happy to do this for you if you live anywhere near Yorkshire.
GT 2.0 TSI, Candy, Parking sensors, Folding mirrors, Winter pack, DAB, Smoking pack, Flat tyre indicator, Mats, Metal pedals and footrest, Covered cup holder, Razos, hkb door sills, Door warning lights, VAG-COM
mike-p

Post by mike-p »

I tried this tonight several times and it wouldn't switch to the sidelights, so I've turned them off using the LH indicator and mainbeam method.

I'm using the latest version of VAG-Com and the long coding helper, so I can see that the codes are set correctly.
Life's too short to go slow

Skoda Yeti 4x4 Elegance 2.0CR
Revo, Steinbauer & Oscarli Dealer for Suffolk and N.Essex
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

to get the sidelights you need to turn the drl's to 0% mike that leaves the sidelights on but the main beams off

S
Grampa
In: Viper Green
Options: Panoramic Sun Roof, Piano Black interior, black 19" wheels

Post by Grampa »

MarRocco wrote:Hi Grampa

If you want sidelights and rear lights on during daylight then for MY2010 post week 45 cars ...
09-Cent. Elect -> Coding - 07 -> Byte 11 -> Bit 2 unchecked [Daytime Running Lights (via Low Beam) active]
09-Cent. Elect -> Coding - 07 -> Byte 15 -> Bit 6 checked [Daytime Running Lights (via separate Lights) active]

If you want no lights during daylight then both Byte 11 -> Bit 2 and Byte 15 -> Bit 6 need to be unchecked.

Thanks for the offer - much appreciated, but I'm in the far corner of South West Wales. I guess I'll just have to see what the local dealer says - although I don't hold out much hope - when I tried to buy the car from them I was greeted by overwhelming indifference - the dealer who eventually supplied it is 200 miles away and I didn't appreciate the difficulty with the DRLs until I got it home, otherwise I would have asked them to see if they could sort it before I took delivery.
mike-p

Post by mike-p »

trix wrote:to get the sidelights you need to turn the drl's to 0% mike that leaves the sidelights on but the main beams off

S
Thanks for that trix, I'll have a go later on today.

mike-p

Post by mike-p »

OK I've lost the thread that tells you how to set the drls to 0%, and before you ask I did search. HELP!

trix
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... drl#p46352" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; bottom of the page

S
mike-p

Post by mike-p »

Thanks trix!

advent2705
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150

Post by advent2705 »

Hi,
i live near south Yorkshire,any chance of doing mine?I DO NOT MIND REIMBURSING YOU for your time.thanks
Fifer
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Opal Silver
Options: Reversing sensors, cruise control

Post by Fifer »

I've done 2700 miles in my shiny new 2.0 BT and no-one has ever flashed me. Every third or fourth car these days seems to have DRL's and no-one seems to bat an eyelid. As for not standing out if everyone has them on, surely the point is not to stand out from other vehicles, but to be seen and having lights on makes a car more visible, regardless if it's the only one which does or they all do?
CoxyRocco
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Pure White

Post by CoxyRocco »

Would this method work for a newer 61 plate Scirocco?

I am currently looking online for vagcom software so I can do this myself, any hints on where to look and what to get?
Majority I have found so far just seem to be diagnostics reading kit that I already have access to, view fault codes etc. Admittedly though I am not really up to speed on this aspect so maybe there is a module available as an add-on to the kit I currently have?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Although I don't really mind the DRL's that much I would prefer not to have the main beams on all the time!

Jordb1993
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Pure White
Options: 310Bhp

Post by Jordb1993 »

Nice one RW! Worked a treat