2011 1.4 TSI - water pump change know how needed

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Bimble7116
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Shadow Blue
With a: DSG box

2011 1.4 TSI - water pump change know how needed

Post by Bimble7116 »

Hi fellas

I'm locking horms with my partner's Scirocco's needs for a new water pump and new thermostat housing. The car has 112,000 miles and generally is a really good motor (recent expensive need for a new mechatronic unit aside!). The WP became noisy - then it started leaking. I don't know the car yet and feel like a fumbling 1st year apprentice!

It's been running cool and taking ages to warm up. I've changed the whole thermostat housing, but having a nightmare trying to fit the plastic clip that fits in the rear part of the housing - which is very inaccessible without stripping out loads of other stuff. I'm hoping for some learned intel about how best to go about this - please can anyone help?

Also - the water pump - it's the double pulley one - a heavy lump of metal. I cannot see how to remove the plastic shroud that the WP hides behind - the clip underneath is accessible but there's one under the inlet manifold that I can barely see never mind reach...and I suspect there's a further clip - but can't see that either. It look as though the inlet manifold and the snakes wedding of associated pipework needs to be removed...? There must be a better way - mustn't there?

Can anybody help with shared experience, knowledge of the car or advice. Any ideas/suggestions gratefully received.

With thanks and best regards

Andy H