Charging Problem.

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Andyco
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: None

Charging Problem.

Post by Andyco »

Hi,
I seem to have a charging problem with my 2014 2.0 tdi BMT.
The battery was replaced a few months ago & coded into the system but the battery only reads a max of 12.5v & with the engine running I measure around 13.5 V. Also the stop/start rarely ever works.
I've had the battery checked & is good.
Any suggestions as to what the problem maybe would be greatly appreciated.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Charging Problem.

Post by Cuprabob »

I wouldn't say those voltages are particularly bad. What sort of journeys is the car doing? Is the battery getting enough of a run to allow the battery to recover the charge taken out of starting.?

As far as I'm aware the stop / start won't function unless the car is fully up to operating temperature and the battery has been replenished. Also, cold ambient temps put more of a strain on the battery and of course the length of time the car takes to heat up.

For reference I would expect a fully charged battery to measure around 12.6V off load, so I would say 12.5V is fine. With the car running I would expect the voltage to be around 13.8V but it depends what is switched on and what the load is.

In summary, I don't think you have a problem and I would expect the start / stop to work more often as the ambient temps begin to increase.