App-Connect CarPlay help.

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Craigus
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Ultra Violet
With a: Manual box

App-Connect CarPlay help.

Post by Craigus »

Hi Everyone,

I have recently had the App Connect enabled by my local dealer on the Discover Navigation system.

I assumed that after the activation I would be able to plug my iPhone in and start using CarPlay but so far I’ve had no joy. When I plug my phone in it is recognised by the nav system as a USB device but CarPlay never kicks in and the device list in App Connect states “No entries found”. I have tried a few iPhones with the same results however when I plug an Android phone in to the USB Android Auto works as it should.

I’m booked back in with the dealer for further investigation but I thought I’d check in here to see if anyone had any thoughts as to what might be causing one to work but not the other? The only thing I’ve seen from a bit of Googling is that I may need the USB port in the car changing for a CarPlay compatible one?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Craig
davidscirocco
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
Options: panorama tilting roof, electric
"interlagos" alloy wheels
sport pack
RCD 510
air-contition Climatronic with dual- zone climate control, left and right side separately controllable

Re: App-Connect CarPlay help.

Post by davidscirocco »

im not sure but ive heard that iphone x are not compatible with app connect. maybe try an other phone just to be sure?
Craigus
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Ultra Violet

Post by Craigus »

Hi David,

I’ve tried a couple of iPhones including an XS and a 6 but I’ve had no joy.

Thanks for the input though

Cheers
Craig
MR13MOS
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
With a: DSG box
Options: Panoramic roof / Rear Sensors / Heated Leather / Bluetooth retrofit / Big Speedo / Diamond LED H7 / 19" Luganos

Post by MR13MOS »

Nothing factual unfortunately but when I did some brief research into this a while ago I found that a few people said that the USB does need to be compatible so that may be a good place to start.

Sorry haven’t got round to doing this myself but havent been wanting to for a while so please update if you have any success!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jpearce12#77#
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: Rear parking sensors

Post by jpearce12#77# »

u need a special lead that connects to back of your head unit and lets you connect your usb lead for phone OEM CarPlay Mirror Link Adapter MIB USB Aux Cable for VW Golf 7 MK7 Golf Sportsvan 5G0 035 222 E
jpearce12#77#
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: Rear parking sensors

Post by jpearce12#77# »

DO a search for this -

OEM CarPlay Mirror Link Adapter MIB USB Aux Cable for VW Golf 7 MK7 Golf Sportsvan 5G0 035 222 E
jssmith
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Indium Grey
With a: DSG box

Post by jssmith »

Just bought my GT Black Edition which has App-Connect on the menu but when you click on it it asks for the activation key. If I can get hold of an activation key is that all I need or will I need a special USB port as above?