09 2.0tsi misfire whilst driving. Now won't start.

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Jonathon9923
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: 18"alloys
Media nav
Leather

09 2.0tsi misfire whilst driving. Now won't start.

Post by Jonathon9923 »

I've got a 09 2.0tsi that has just broken down.

Driving down the road all is fine and then all of a sudden the check engine light and epc light comes on and engine starts misfiring. Pulled over 100yrds down the road and now the car wouldn't start and it wasn't even trying. Put fault code reader on it and came up with cylinder 3 misfire. Erased the code but still absolutely nothing.

Anyone got any ideas? Has aa out and they didn't have a clue after looking at it with a snap on diagnostic tool.

Thanks in advance
Jonathon9923
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Viper Green
Options: 18"alloys
Media nav
Leather

Re: 09 2.0tsi misfire whilst driving. Now won't start.

Post by Jonathon9923 »

Worth noting engine oil is below the minimum Mark. Was last checked 4 weeks ago.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

My guess would be engine speed sensor (G68) or the timing chain tensioner has failed and the chain has jumped a few teeth. I doubt low oil would be the issue unless it was ridiculously low. These engines use oil therefore it's important to regularly check it and not rely on the low oil level warning light.
KarmaSumatra

Post by KarmaSumatra »

A failed coilpack will cause misfiring, but I would expect the car to still be able to start...
Paradox1
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by Paradox1 »

KarmaSumatra wrote:A failed coilpack will cause misfiring, but I would expect the car to still be able to start...
The car would still run on a failed coil pack....Would run like poo though lol

Get it recovered and get a compression test. Doesnt sound good though

Im guessing you didnt change the tensioner?
Silverback
I drive a: GTS TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: It's a GTS BMT 220 bought previously loved so........

Post by Silverback »

I've been messing about with cars and bikes for 40+ years and always remember my dad's advice (he was a flight engineer in the RAF when they still had piston engine aircraft as well as early jets) check the simple stuff first.
Get it on a code reader as it could be as simple as a cam or crank position sensor. At least you can rule out the easy stuff before you break the bank.