Help with diagnosing fault - is it terminal?

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
chrisgunton
I drive a: Haven't decided yet
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box

Help with diagnosing fault - is it terminal?

Post by chrisgunton »

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in a bit of a crap situation that I think might lead me to be on my way to a very expensive repair, or having to get rid entirely.

The car is a 59 plate, 2.0 DSG model (Diesel).

Issues:
  • Since I first bought the car back in 2016 it has sometimes struggled to start after a long-ish drive (45min or so). Turning the key would start the engine but it would then cut instantly as if I had stalled it. I learned that I could get it started if I gave it some gas as it started. Replaced the battery but it still does it.
  • Occasionally it would stall just as I moved off from a cold start
  • While driving in 3rd, it would suddenly, for a split second feel as if i came out of gear and then back again. If it did this under heavy acceleration this would result in one hell of a jerking motion as the revs would shoot up and then catch again.
  • When cold starting it would sound like a tractor for a few min. A touch on the throttle would smooth it out for a few seconds.
Here it is not re-starting when I got to work (it starts on the 3rd try, but I didn't film the first)
[youtube][/youtube]
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All of these things were rare, and left no error codes for a garage to find.

On Friday, I pulled out of my parking space at home, travelled a few meters when the car seemed to struggle, I noticed the dash flicker between P and 2nd rapidly, and then it stalled. I tried restarting it, but it wouldn't quite catch, even with some throttle. Each time I tried it cut out sooner, and sounded terrible.

[youtube][/youtube]

I got it towed to a mechanic, and when he looked at it on Monday of course it started first time, and every time since!

[youtube][/youtube]

No error codes except a transmission oil pressure fault.

I love my car, and I love driving, but I'm not a car nut or mechanic - so I did the worst thing and googled the symptoms - which has pointed towards a multitronic unit issue and caused my wallet to weep a little.

Is there anything else it might be or am I looking at an easy £1000+ bill?