Rear Tyre Wear and Noise

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
edwheels
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Sat Nav (315) DAB, 18" Wheels

Rear Tyre Wear and Noise

Post by edwheels »

Very thankful to the forum's search facility to have read a couple of cases very similar to mine - an intrusive wheel bearing type noise from the rear of the car - especially notable on the motorway.

It started to become noticeable when the rear tyres had about 35K miles on them (from new) and not long after co-incidentally I had hit a massive pothole at speed... this was a red herring.

I had the car checked out (suspension etc.), then the tracking (full 4 wheel alignment) checked - all OK, but noise still there.

Then I read about stepped wear on the rear tyre inside edge being a common thing on Sciroccos, leading to noise. Sure enough a non-scientific test (running hand on inside of edge of rear tyres!) revealed this was starting... If you do this, against the normal rotation of the tyres, they feel almost like the tread blocks have sharp edges. It was different to the front tyres which felt normal.

2 new rear tyres later and all is well. Guess I will have to repeat this again when the car has reached 70K miles - it is a bit of an annoyance though as the tyres on the rear, after 35K, still had 5-6mm tread on them.

It was quite amazing the amount noise of these 'step wear' tyres were making... the car is so quiet now.

Anyway, worth having your rear tyres checked as well as other things such as wheel bearings and suspension components if you are experiencing this sort of noise.
risingson
With a: Manual box

Re: Rear Tyre Wear and Noise

Post by risingson »

Yep I had this too. I just ran the car with the noise once I realised what it was. Only replaced the tyres once they became so old they were potentially going to perish anyway (low annual mileage, me!) What tyres did you have on originally? Mine were Bridgestone re050a (from memory), 17" rim.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
edwheels
With a: DSG box
Options: Sat Nav (315) DAB, 18" Wheels

Re: Rear Tyre Wear and Noise

Post by edwheels »

I just couldn’t live with the noise.... I am sure I could have got quite a lot more miles out those rear tyres but as I indend to keep the car for 2-3 more years at least I thought I might as well have the benefit of the new tyres and no noise now rather than later.

I went for the same tyres as it has always had from new, Pirelli P7s - the ‘Seal Inside’ ones. Apart from the noise issue, they have always been grippy in the dry and wet and although, thankfully, never tested I like the ‘Seal Inside’ feature as, whilst not exactly a run flat, can help you get out of trouble (to a garage or safe place) if you get a puncture (well that’s the theory!)...

I have the 18 inch wheels BTW.

Cheers.