Retrieving missing parking sensor - help!

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Chilly248
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160

Retrieving missing parking sensor - help!

Post by Chilly248 »

Hi guys, did a search on this subject but there was only one unresolved thread... hence this post...

Long story short, one of my rear parking sensors has gone awol - just a hole in the bumper. Unclear whether it popped in or out (so could still be inside the bumper?)

Interested to hear if this has happened to anyone else and how/if they resolved it - including getting it rewired and working etc.

Basically trying to avoid an expensive trip to VW...

Many thanks in advance,

Will
chelspeed
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Sold it!

Re: Retrieving missing parking sensor - help!

Post by chelspeed »

They install from the back of he bumper and if I recall correctly are just bonded in place. So almost certainly your sensor will have come unbonded and be inside the bumper still attached to it's wire and bouncing around.

For a proper fix you can take the bumper off (instructions in UK Lee's rear view camera install thread http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=14682" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but it's a lot less friendly without the pictures).

For a bodge try jacking it up and getting to the bottom of the bumper. There are two screws if you undo these the bumper may be flexible enough to get your arm in and find the sensor. Put some silicon sealant on your finger and go in through the hole on the outside and smear on the face around the inside of the hole then push the sensor back in place from inside.

Failing that a decent body shop should be more than familiar with removing bumpers and charge you a lot less than a main stealer.
Chilly248
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160

Re: Retrieving missing parking sensor - help!

Post by Chilly248 »

Great response - thank you!