Aftermarket Camera Installation

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
mrzed
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Aftermarket Camera Installation

Post by mrzed »

Just thought i'd do a brief write up to help others as i initially struggled to find much information and the instructions were crap.

The camera i used replaces number plate light and my headunit is an Xtrons. You don't need to remove the bumper.

Pop out the existing number plate light.
Take out the rear light and unplug it.
Wire/splice the light on the camera into the existing number plate light wire, put your lights on and check it works.
The next bit was trickier as you need to get the 2 RCA plugs from the camera to within distance of the rear light socket (i taped them to a long stick and pushed them up through the inside of the bumper)
Run the Yellow audio cable inside the boot trim, through the back seat and under the trim, then to the back of your head unit.
The black power cable, this has a small black and red wire coming from it, these need to go to reverse + and - of your reverse lights, that's the blue/black (+) and brown (-) from your harness, i just spliced them in. You also need to splice the red wire from the audio cable into the reverse +
Back to the front of the car, the yellow RCA has a red wire coming from it, attach this to the wire labeled reverse from your head unit then plug the yellow end into the reverse output. Put car in reverse and it should all work. If it doesnt then swap the yellow plug to another output, i think there's about 3 from my head unit and i can't remember which one got it working.
You also might need to go into the factory settings of your head unit to enable the reverse camera option, although if you've got all the options ticked in the main settings (show ruler etc) and these show when you hit reverse anyway, you won't need to change any settings.
NightSky
In: Opal Silver

Re: Aftermarket Camera Installation

Post by NightSky »

Thanks for the instruction!
lewisheywood
I drive a: R-Line
With a: DSG box

Post by lewisheywood »

Don't suppose you have a photo of the light output from the new number plate light in comparison to the normal one?

Always been hesitant as I thought they'd look drastically different.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
mrzed

Post by mrzed »

lewisheywood wrote:Don't suppose you have a photo of the light output from the new number plate light in comparison to the normal one?

Always been hesitant as I thought they'd look drastically different.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I don't but you're right, the new one is bright vs the older one, i'll probably end up buying a pair of LED ones and just using one of them to replace the old unit.
Jason8
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Pure White

Post by Jason8 »

Mate you may be the bloke I need to speak to, about your Xtrons head unit could you please tell me which model that is. Also is your car a later one?
I'm having trouble establishing which Android heads are suitable for my 2016.
Many thanks
mrzed

Post by mrzed »

Sorry mate, mine's a 2010... someone on here did have a later model though, and bought the same headunit.