Tyre Pressure Light reset button broke?

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Reidy
I drive a: R-Line
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box

Tyre Pressure Light reset button broke?

Post by Reidy »

Hi everyone,

Not sure if I’m doing this wrong but I’m unable to reset the tyre pressure light.

It came on a few days ago, I took it to a petrol station and pumped all the tyres to the correct amount (33 I believe)

I turn on the ignition and hold in the button (inside the glove compartment) and nothing happens. I’ve tried it with the ingition on, engine on and everything switched off. The button does seem a bit flimsy like there’s no resistance behind it.

I’ve since checked the tyres again and the pressure is still okay.

My MOT is due on the 20th of June so I’m a bit worried they’ll fail it based on the light being on despite the tyre pressure actually being okay?

Am I right in assuming the reset button is broke? Any suggestions to what I should do?
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Tyre Pressure Light reset button broke?

Post by Cuprabob »

With the ignition on, you press and hold the button until you hear a beep and the light goes out.

The actual pressure in each tyre is irrelevant to the reset process as it's a comparative measurement system, hence the need for the datum to be reset.

The reset button is wired directly to the ABS ECU, so it's probably the button or the connection to it.
Reidy
I drive a: R-Line

Post by Reidy »

Yeah so I’m doing exactly that but there’s no beep and the light stays on.

If there was a slow puncture for example, am I right in thinking it would still beep but then eventually come back on?

And in respect to the MOT, are they likely to fail it on just the light being on or would they actually check the tyre pressure?

Not great with these sorts of things so thanks for the reply
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Yes, if you have a slow puncture the wheel speed sensor will detect a change in rolling resistance and trigger a beep and the light will come on. As I said previously the actual tyre pressure has no impact on the reset procedure. In fact all 4 tyres could be flat and it would still reset. The reset just sets a reference value to detect a drop from using the wheel speed sensor.

If yours is not resetting, then the system is not working. With regards to the MOT, I'm not sure what the latest rules are with regards to the TPMS light being on and the system not working. In the past it would have just been an advisory but as I say not sure if that is still the case. They certainly won't check the tyre pressures and ignore it. The MOT rules were updated on 20th May 2018.

The purpose of the system is not to advise you of having the correct tyre pressures but to warn you of a deflation while driving.