Aftermarket Wheels & TPMS

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
J-Dub
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Aftermarket Wheels & TPMS

Post by J-Dub »

If I buy myself a set of aftermarket wheels, is there anything I need to take in consideration for the TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System)?

I think remember reading not too long ago that there are 2 kinds of TPMS, one that monitors via a sensor, and the other where it tries to calculate it based on ABS sensor feedback. Not really sure what kind of system the Scirocco uses.

Do I just buy new wheels / tyres and it will continue to work?
Will it not work at all with aftermarket wheels, and if so, will I need to do anything to disable warning lights?
Or will I need to buy some new sensors for it to continue working?

If it helps, I'm currently running a stock 13 plate Scirocco R with 19inch wheels. I plan to buy 19inch aftermarket wheels fitted with summer tyres, and keep the original wheels with winter tyres kept in the Garage and swap them over for Sum / Win seasons.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Aftermarket Wheels & TPMS

Post by Cuprabob »

Scirocco TPMS uses the wheel speed sensors, therefore there is no actual pressure measurement device on the wheel or valve. The system is a relative measurement system based on tyre rolling resistance.

The only thing you have to do when fitting new wheel / tyres is to reset the system using the reset button in the glovebox or console (depends on year)
J-Dub

Post by J-Dub »

Thanks Cuprabob. appreciate the quick response!

One of the websites I was looking at to buy the wheels (https://www.lkperformance.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) listed that I'd need to spend an extra £180 for TPMS to continue working. Will give them a call tomorrow to find out what it is they're selling for that much!
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Some manufacturers actually measure and display the real time tyre pressure therefore I assume the extra they are charging are for the replacement pressure sensors in the wheel, which you do not require.
J-Dub

Post by J-Dub »

I assume their database of which cars have TPMS doesn't differentiate between the different types and assumes every car will need new sensors or something! Thanks for clearing it up.