Dreaded TSi block damage from cam chain tensioner

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Dan_4d
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

Dreaded TSi block damage from cam chain tensioner

Post by Dan_4d »

So the dreaded cam chain tensioner fault has happened to my Scirocco. (I've learnt to dread it a bit too late) . My big problem is the damage it has caused.. The engine block will need a re-bore , bigger pistons, valve guides, not sure on the valves yet.. possibly cam shaft and definitely head repairs.. :cry:
Has anyone been unlucky enough to suffer a similar problem? What did you do? Any advice or recommendations for acquiring a second hand block etc or someone capable of repairing this?

Thanks

Dan :yes:
House
In: Indium Grey
Options: Panoramic Sunroof, Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Leather seats

Re: Dreaded TSi block damage from cam chain tensioner

Post by House »

I was unfortunate to have the same issue. Heart breaking. In the end I got an independent garage to rebuild the engine with genuine VW parts. Total bill for me was about £3600. Must admit it never felt the same afterwards. Recently sold mine and the poor bugger who bought it has said the engine failed again, no idea why as I updated the chain tensioner when the work was done, but didn't hear from them again regarding the cause.

As sad as it is to hear it, if it were me, I would sell the car as soon as you have repaired it. I just don't trust that engine anymore.
Zanic L3
In: Deep Black
Options: Stage 2, Catless DP, Milltek catback.

Post by Zanic L3 »

House wrote:I was unfortunate to have the same issue. Heart breaking. In the end I got an independent garage to rebuild the engine with genuine VW parts. Total bill for me was about £3600. Must admit it never felt the same afterwards. Recently sold mine and the poor bugger who bought it has said the engine failed again, no idea why as I updated the chain tensioner when the work was done, but didn't hear from them again regarding the cause.

As sad as it is to hear it, if it were me, I would sell the car as soon as you have repaired it. I just don't trust that engine anymore.
How much mileage did it do before it failed?
House
In: Indium Grey
Options: Panoramic Sunroof, Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Leather seats

Post by House »

Mine had done 70k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Psycho Kirky
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box
Options: MODS-
K&N Typhoon Induction kit
BCS Powervalve custom sport TBE
REVO Stage 2 remap
Airtec Stage 2 Intercooler
Forge diverter/recirculation valve
Sachs Performance clutch
'Heavy Set' silicone hoses
REVO Torque Mount Insert
Various detailing

Post by Psycho Kirky »

With all that damage caused it might be more cost effective to just replace the engine with a working used one and update the timing parts before it is fitted or during fitting.

Spending that much money on repairing these cars is becoming less and less practical :(

Or do forged internals and create a beast :D

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk