RCD330+ Radio

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
LUFCJohnS
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Urano Grey
With a: DSG box

RCD330+ Radio

Post by LUFCJohnS »

Hello fellow Scirocco owners!

I've just recently bought a 2010 2.0TSI and I've seen talk of the OEM RCD330+ radio that can be bought online which looks very impressive with built-in phone capabilities and Apple CarPlay, however looking around online it seems to be that there's a lot of conflicting talk and it ends up looking a bit confusing!

I was just wondering if anyone on here has had experience of fitting one of these radios and if so could give me some advice please?

- I've got a white matrix display with a 12-button steering wheel - will the buttons work with the radio?
- I've seen differing stories of needing adapter cables to connect in the back of the radio (a canbus adapter??) and also an aerial adapter, yet I've seen other people say that it's just plug and play - will adapters be needed for my Scirocco?
- I've also seen people talking about updating the firmware and having to modify the coding to get the Optical Reverse System to display properly with the Scirocco image - is this easy to do and are you able to update it just with a standard memory stick?
- I have the Dynaudio speakers - does anything different have to be done with these?
- Is there a particular model of RCD330+ I need to be on the lookout for?

Many thanks in advance to anyone that can help!
KarmaSumatra

Re: RCD330+ Radio

Post by KarmaSumatra »

I've fitted one of these in my 2009 (with red MFD), and I can help with some of your questions:

On my steering wheel (which only has 8 buttons), I can change volume but I can't change the track, because there's no Audio screen on the MFD anymore. With the 12 button steering wheel, which has dedicated track buttons, I think it just works.

No Scirocco should need a CANBUS adapter. That was an issue with older cars (like the Mk5 Golf). I didn't need an aerial adaptor.

I haven't tried to update the reverse image. By the way.. the Park Pilot display is the one thing that's buggy on mine: it doesn't always appear when I go into reverse, but the beeps always work.

I think having the Dynaudio speakers is the biggest potential issue. From what I've read, the RCD330 doesn't accept all of the codings for "line-level output" modes (which is what you need for the Dynaudio amplifier).
Now the interesting thing is of all the options available in byte 1, vcds won't accept (will through an out of range error) dynaudio or vokswagen sound systems. It does accept skoda sound system, but i still think the sound is worse than with the rns 315.
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread. ... post116099" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, this issue might have been resolved now.

I bought this unit: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Noname- ... 10288.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's described as a "Noname Carplay RCD330 330G Plus 6.5" MIB Radio For VW Golf 5 6 Jetta CC Tiguan Passat Polo 6RD 035 187 B 6RD035187B". (Catchy!)