Map Update will I also need to update Firmware

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
J2009
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Sumatra
With a: DSG box

Map Update will I also need to update Firmware

Post by J2009 »

I have a 2009 Scirocco with RNS510 system. The maps have never been updated and new journeys now show us ploughing through fields and fording rivers.
I have bought 2017/18 map update disc on eBay but since reading the forums here I am very afraid to load it as the word ‘Firmware’ keeps raising it head.
I am not technically minded and I am totally confused whether I can run the map update without having to run anything else and if I do will there be any adverse affect on the RNS510 unit.
:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:
wensleydale
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box

Re: Map Update will I also need to update Firmware

Post by wensleydale »

You can use any map version on any firmware version so no need to update first.

When you put the new map disc in you will get a prompted to choose whether you want the map run off the DVD or whether you want it installed to the HDD. As the RNS510's are notoriously picky about which DVD's they will read I would recommend selecting to use the map off the DVD for a couple of weeks and make sure your unit is happy to read and navigate from the DVD before you start overwriting the maps on the HDD.
aesmidz
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

Re: Map Update will I also need to update Firmware

Post by aesmidz »

If the new maps don’t load. U need new firmware which partions the disk with more room for the larger later maps