MIRROR INDICATOR PROBLEM

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Firkindolloper
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

MIRROR INDICATOR PROBLEM

Post by Firkindolloper »

Hi guys,

Happy New Year.

I have been a member of this Forum for a few months although not knowledgeable enough to contribute at this stage. This is my first Roc so I am learning - it seems it could be the hard way. I have a problem with my indicators and I have not found any identical symptoms of this forum to point me in the right direction.

My drivers side indicators all work perfectly when indicating right BUT my passenger side mirror indicator joins in! On turning left, only the front and back ones work and the mirror doesn't. All work on hazard and on remote door opening. I have taped over my passenger side mirror light meantime. I have connected an OBD II reader but no codes were found.

Anyone out there have had the same problem or does anyone know what the fault is?

Thanks.

Gordon
wensleydale
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box

Re: MIRROR INDICATOR PROBLEM

Post by wensleydale »

Hi Gordon,

I suspect that there may be an issue with the passenger door controller. Does your OBD reader allow you to read out the settings of the controllers, or just fault codes?
Firkindolloper

Post by Firkindolloper »

Hi,

Thanks for answering my query. I only have a basic OBD II reader (Maxiscan 309) which just reads and clears codes. Can I ask how a door controller (which one) would affect the indicator? Turning right makes both mirror lights work but turning left only does the front and back on that side. Also, how can I find out for definite? Our local VW garage is not known for giving advice.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks again

Gordon
wensleydale

Post by wensleydale »

The door controllers manage all electrical functions for the door they are installed in. For some reason the door controller on the passenger side thinks it is installed in the drivers side. I think this may be a simple setting issue on the passenger door controller, but will need to do some testing on my own car which may take a day or two.
Firkindolloper

Post by Firkindolloper »

Hello,

That is really decent of you. I have read a few of your posts and I guess this is your territory. (Even on JSFiddle which is completely alien to me).
I have even looked at getting a VCDS cable to enable me to learn a bit more of this stuff but it is probably dangerous at my stage of training:-). Hopefully you can pinpoint the problem and maybe tell me what to do to fix it:-). Sorry to be a pain.

Thank you once again for doing this.

Regards

Gordon
wensleydale

Post by wensleydale »

Hi Gordon,

Sorry it's taken a day or two for me to test, but I've managed to replicate the situation you have described on my own car now, so the following should be a fix for you:

The quick answer to what is going on is that the door controller in your passenger door has either been taken from a left hand drive car, or has been mis-coded to believe it is installed in a left hand drive car.

The solution is to use VCDS (VAGCan Pro or Carista may also work but not sure) to recode the passenger door controller to the correct values. The instructions below are based on VCDS as this is what I have available:
  • Connect the cable to your laptop and to the diagnostic port under the steering wheel
  • Switch the ignition to position 1 (electronics on, engine not started)
  • Open VCDS
  • Click "Select" in the "Select Control Module" section
  • Click "52-Door Elect, Pass."
  • Click "Coding"
  • Make a note of the current coding value, this will allow us to get back to a known position if things go wrong
  • Take your original coding value and add 512 to the value e.g. if your original code is 0151926, you add 512 to get 0152438
  • Click "Do It!", you should get a message saying "coding accepted"
  • Turn the ignition to position 0, wait a few seconds, then switch it back to position 1
  • Test your indicators, hopefully everything should be working as expected.
If you don't want to buy a VCDS cable just for this job, post in the VagCom/VCDS section of the forum with your location, there might be someone nearby who can help.

Rob.
Firkindolloper

Post by Firkindolloper »

Hi Rob,

This is great. It is really decent of you to potentially abuse your own car to help me out. My last 3 cars have been Nissan 350Zs and the Forum guys were outstanding with their contributions to those who had a problem but you have gone beyond that in my opinion.

I will have to try it myself so I will look to buy a cable. I doubt if I will be using it a lot so I will check out what is on sale for a reasonable price. I know there are a lot of imitations that are not fit for purpose on Ebay but I have seen one for around £60 - £70 which is ultra cheap on there with a fair few sold to happy purchasers. The offer is with a 12 month guarantee which sounds good, but......

I would guess that you have a top of the range set up which enables you to do what you do? I have looked for VCDS in Dorset and nothing has come up so I will check the web this weekend and hope I can find a genuine VCDS at a reasonable price.

Thank you once again and I will let you know how I get on. Or shout for help.....

Regards

Gordon
Firkindolloper

Post by Firkindolloper »

I wasn't confident enough to use VCDS in case there were other issues so I went to a local garage who reset the indicators AND removed the DRLs.