Free Data Plug - Limited offer from VW

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Phil
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Night Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Recaro Seats, 19" VW Savannah Wheels, KW DDC Coilovers,R8 Coil Packs, Revo High Flow Intake, Milltek 3.00" Turbo-Back & Hi-Flow Sports Cat, GFB DV+, Rtech PCV Delete, Rtech Stage 2,Remap & Linear Throttle, Rtech Custom DSG Remap, PolarFIS Advanced, Forge Twintercooler

Free Data Plug - Limited offer from VW

Post by Phil »

We all love free stuff.... Not had mine long so haven't put it to the test yet. If you are interested you can walk in and pick them up for free, plug it in and download the app.

Some Dealers say they need to install them, perform health checks and even pay but that's rubbish.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/volkswagen-connect" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Phil
SciroccoCW
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Oryx White
With a: Manual box
Options: 2015MY, Bi-Xenon, 18" Interlagos, Start/Stop, Bluetooth, Sat Nav, Panoramic Roof, Parking Sensors, Heated Seats, Interior LED's, Projector Puddle Lights, Mudflaps, Winter Pack, Rubber Mats, Stainless Steel Pedals, VCDS Tweaks

Re: Free Data Plug - Limited offer from VW

Post by SciroccoCW »

Phil wrote:We all love free stuff.... Not had mine long so haven't put it to the test yet. If you are interested you can walk in and pick them up for free, plug it in and download the app.

Some Dealers say they need to install them, perform health checks and even pay but that's rubbish.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/volkswagen-connect" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sweet, thanks Phil :yes:
blz-8027
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140

Post by blz-8027 »

Reserved one to collect on Monday :clap:
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

VW don't give anything away for free so I would assume they are collecting all the data with a view to using it in the future.
Andy Rocc
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
Options: ...
Factory 19" Black Lugano Pack
Factory Heated Black Leather

Added Extras...

Eibach Pro Kit
Audi TT/S3 Short Shifter
Gloss Black Mirror Covers
Gloss Black VW Emblems

Post by Andy Rocc »

blz-8027 wrote:Reserved one to collect on Monday :clap:
How did you reserve one, online or by phone?
blz-8027

Post by blz-8027 »

Andy Rocc wrote:
blz-8027 wrote:Reserved one to collect on Monday :clap:
How did you reserve one, online or by phone?
Online ,
looked for the closest dealer to me ,and mailed them
Asked if they had any of the Data plugs in stock ,copied and pasted the description, to show they were free ,and included the link

"Discover more of the benefits of Volkswagen Connect today by downloading the App for free, visiting your local Volkswagen retailer to pick up a Data-plug free of charge,
plug it into your car’s diagnostic-port and off you go."

Got a mail back stating "they had limited stock on a first come first served basis ,did i want one put to one side for collection"

We will see what they say on Monday
SurgicalProcedures
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160

Post by SurgicalProcedures »

Cuprabob wrote:VW don't give anything away for free so I would assume they are collecting all the data with a view to using it in the future.
Picked one up couple of weeks ago out of curiosity, lady at the dealer pretty much told me straight up that I won't find it useful, it's more for people who can't even open their bonnet.

I asked what it actually did, and essentially it gives you a 'rating' on your driving style to assist you to drive more economically, cos you know MPG readings and that mean nothing. Also she said that if I get a flat tyre or a bulb goes out, it will send a notification to VW who will call you to book the car in at a local VW garage to get it fixed. Essentially it's VW logging and spying on you, I unplugged it half a mile down the road after leaving the dealership.

More interestingly, the lady at the service department told me that from 2018, these data plugs will be integrated into new vehicles from factory and will be non-removable.

FYI - it's a waste of time.
Buzzerz
Options: White Silver Metallic
BiXenon Headlights
Cruise Control
90% Rear Tints

Post by Buzzerz »

SurgicalProcedures wrote: FYI - it's a waste of time.
Good to know! I was given one on collection of my new car today. Not played with it yet!
CG8589
In: Salsa Red
Options: Xenon's, Sunroof, Leather interior

Post by CG8589 »

I emailed Lancaster VW in Milton Keynes about them, they said to just pop in and pick one up.

Went in and walked out with one within five minutes. They didn’t even ask if I was a VW owner which seemed strange?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
P44RYT
I drive a: R-Line
Options: Airlift Performance, Rotiform TMB 3piece 2&3" polished lips, Full 2015+ R Facelift, R-Line spec, Stage 1 remap, Black splitter & skirt extensions, Twin exit PowerFlow exhaust, Carbon Fibre diffuser, Full RamAir, Full interior & exterior white LEDs

Post by P44RYT »

Sounds good on the surface but i bet they're monitoring everything on your car and what youre doing. Speed, acceleration, driving style, etc etc. I wouldn't have any sort of box/monitoring hardware fitted to mine anyway!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Last edited by P44RYT on Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.instagram.com/p44ryt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roy_01
In: Sumatra

Post by Roy_01 »

So you don't have a mobile phone also or internet?
P44RYT
I drive a: R-Line
Options: Airlift Performance, Rotiform TMB 3piece 2&3" polished lips, Full 2015+ R Facelift, R-Line spec, Stage 1 remap, Black splitter & skirt extensions, Twin exit PowerFlow exhaust, Carbon Fibre diffuser, Full RamAir, Full interior & exterior white LEDs

Post by P44RYT »

Roy_01 wrote:So you don't have a mobile phone also or internet?
Who are you talking to?
https://www.instagram.com/p44ryt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Redleh
In: Deep Black

Post by Redleh »

Hello All!

I wish to have a VW Data Plug, but one is not available in my country.
I do not know the conditions that VW has, to offer a Data Plug in the UK. Only one for each car that the customer has? Or only a limit quantity for person/car?
If any one is kind to get one for me, and send it, I do appreciate.
skyblues11
Options: cruise control, front foglight, Multi.f.steering wheel,
tyre indicator

Post by skyblues11 »

I bet next year, that data plug will send accident data to the insurers, so that they can call you and ask if you want to claim!
Delberthot
Options: Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors

Post by Delberthot »

I got one last week from my local garage to give it a try but it's bluetooth :eyepop:

I don't understand why they didn't use a wifi version as whenever I get into the car my phone connects to the bluetooth in the car. It can't connect to both and I'd rather have hands free than have to stop and get out to use the phone so it's going in a drawer unless I use an old phone for the app :shrug:
dimexi
Options: Parking Sensors

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep
Comfort indicator blinks adjusted to 4
Windows close via rain sensor

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
Self installed VW OEM Bluetooth 7P6(L)
Self installed Cruise Control
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

Cuprabob wrote:VW don't give anything away for free so I would assume they are collecting all the data with a view to using it in the future.
Exactly this!!! I had one given to me after my service and I am yet to plug it in! I will not be after reading this thread, it will serve no use to me. I am happy to do all minor maintenance on my car myself without anyone bugging me about coming in to VW.

I rarely drive it anymore nowadays (which is sad) but it still puts a big smile on my face when I do
Phil
Options: Recaro Seats, 19" VW Savannah Wheels, KW DDC Coilovers,R8 Coil Packs, Revo High Flow Intake, Milltek 3.00" Turbo-Back & Hi-Flow Sports Cat, GFB DV+, Rtech PCV Delete, Rtech Stage 2,Remap & Linear Throttle, Rtech Custom DSG Remap, PolarFIS Advanced, Forge Twintercooler

Post by Phil »

I regret starting this thread and can only suggest we use it to think up brilliant ways to destroy this awful device.
Phil
Jaygebee

Post by Jaygebee »

Keeps telling me to lower engine revs below 2000. Difficult to do as 70 on motorway is around 2200. Only useful to me when I need fuel it tells me how much fuel in tank so I know how much of my pension is required to fill it up!
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Jaygebee wrote:Keeps telling me to lower engine revs below 2000. Difficult to do as 70 on motorway is around 2200. Only useful to me when I need fuel it tells me how much fuel in tank so I know how much of my pension is required to fill it up!
If only the was a gauge on the dash to tell you how much fuel was in the tank :D
edwheels
Options: Sat Nav (315) DAB, 18" Wheels

Post by edwheels »

I had one handed to me at the last service... It was sort of interesting for a few weeks

For whatever reason, probably phone related, the bluetooth connection between the app and the data plug stopped working months ago and in all that time haven't been bothered about reconnecting it - so obviously I don't miss it. One day I might get round to re-blue toothing it, but it doesn't really offer anything more than the fuel gauge, common sense and the already built in trip computer...