Iphone 6 Plus - MDI Connection

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
SciroccoCW
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Oryx White
With a: Manual box
Options: 2015MY, Bi-Xenon, 18" Interlagos, Start/Stop, Bluetooth, Sat Nav, Panoramic Roof, Parking Sensors, Heated Seats, Interior LED's, Projector Puddle Lights, Mudflaps, Winter Pack, Rubber Mats, Stainless Steel Pedals, VCDS Tweaks

Iphone 6 Plus - MDI Connection

Post by SciroccoCW »

The MDI cable for the Iphone 6 Plus is really short.. and the phone wont fit inside the arm rest.. so I have resulted in having my phone hanging out the arm rest down onto the 'drinks holder' cover.. so the cable is too short and is now getting flattend by the arm rest lid pushing on it.

Any ideas on a better solution? Should I just use the 12v connector?
SciroccoCW
Options: 2015MY, Bi-Xenon, 18" Interlagos, Start/Stop, Bluetooth, Sat Nav, Panoramic Roof, Parking Sensors, Heated Seats, Interior LED's, Projector Puddle Lights, Mudflaps, Winter Pack, Rubber Mats, Stainless Steel Pedals, VCDS Tweaks

Re: Iphone 6 Plus - MDI Connection

Post by SciroccoCW »

:shrug:
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

I don't use Apple products but I'm sure you could pick up a Lightning male to female extension cable.
SciroccoCW

Post by SciroccoCW »

Problem is that the MDI connection is inside the arm rest, so any cable that comes out will get flattend by the arm rest closed on it. What is the MDI connection for exactly? My car is bluetooth so pressumably I dont really need to use it and could charge off the 12v cigarette lighter?
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

It is possible to close the armrest without closing it fully, so it leaves a gap.

The MDI kind of pre dates Bluetooth and is a flexible interface to connect a range of media options like USB sticks, I Pods and the like. Bluetooth has kind of made it redundant but is handy if you want to.play music from a USB drive.
SciroccoCW

Post by SciroccoCW »

Ahhh okay, I'll stick with the Bluetooth and start charging from the 12v then.

Any idea if the MDI gives more than 12v?
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

SciroccoCW wrote:Ahhh okay, I'll stick with the Bluetooth and start charging from the 12v then.

Any idea if the MDI gives more than 12v?
No.more than 12V available.

Some info on the MDI

https://www.my-gti.com/42/volkswagen-me ... erface-mdi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.my-gti.com/1287/volkswagen- ... ifications" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SciroccoCW

Post by SciroccoCW »

Thanks for your help yet again! :yes: