Air Con Noisy

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Jon1952
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Reflex Silver
With a: Manual box
Options: Rear Parking sensors
18" wheels
Fog lights

Air Con Noisy

Post by Jon1952 »

My Scirocco has just celebrated its 7th birthday (64K miles). The AC has started sounding noisy, particularly at low speeds. Its sounds like the compressor is working at full load with a whirring sound which rises and falls with the engine revs. The AC itself is working fine and is cooler than ever - perhaps even more than usual.

I took the car into my local garage down the road in Llandudno Junction where we take my partner's car and they looked at it for half an hour and couldn't identify the noise or find anything wrong. For this they charged me nothing!

This morning I received a flyer from VW advertising a 'summer health check' for £20 including AC service so I phoned my local VW garage where I bought the car and where it has been serviced for the last 7 years (not Llandudno) and was quoted £42 for them to look at it. Bearing in mind I spend nearly £700 there in the spring for a service, MOT and new brakes I thought they could have done a bit more for me. Anyway I'm leaving it for the time being.

I would be grateful for any similar experiences and ideas as to what the problem might be.
Billc
I drive a: R-Line
In: Ultra Violet
With a: DSG box
Options: Dynaudio, DCC, bi-xenons

Re: Air Con Noisy

Post by Billc »

My previous Roc was doing that noise - the up and down whirry sound at low speeds - and I was scared it was the compressor dying and megabucks for a new one. Without telling them about the noise issue I just asked VW for an aircon service. Noise gone, problem solved. If I'd said "the aircon's making a whiney noise" I bet they'd have come up with something a LOT more expensive than an aircon service !!!
Bill in Norfants
JUNKMAN
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather,Pan roof,Dynaudio,Winter pack,Black badges,H&R Springs,Revo panel filter,R8 Coils,BCS downpipe

Post by JUNKMAN »

Had the same problem on my R recently turned out to be low on gas once recharged no problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jon1952
18" wheels
Fog lights

Post by Jon1952 »

Billc wrote:My previous Roc was doing that noise - the up and down whirry sound at low speeds - and I was scared it was the compressor dying and megabucks for a new one. Without telling them about the noise issue I just asked VW for an aircon service. Noise gone, problem solved. If I'd said "the aircon's making a whiney noise" I bet they'd have come up with something a LOT more expensive than an aircon service !!!
Thanks for that info Bill
Jon1952
18" wheels
Fog lights

Post by Jon1952 »

JUNKMAN wrote:Had the same problem on my R recently turned out to be low on gas once recharged no problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info
Jon1952
18" wheels
Fog lights

Post by Jon1952 »

Jon1952 wrote:My Scirocco has just celebrated its 7th birthday (64K miles). The AC has started sounding noisy, particularly at low speeds. Its sounds like the compressor is working at full load with a whirring sound which rises and falls with the engine revs. The AC itself is working fine and is cooler than ever - perhaps even more than usual.

I took the car into my local garage down the road in Llandudno Junction where we take my partner's car and they looked at it for half an hour and couldn't identify the noise or find anything wrong. For this they charged me nothing!

This morning I received a flyer from VW advertising a 'summer health check' for £20 including AC service so I phoned my local VW garage where I bought the car and where it has been serviced for the last 7 years (not Llandudno) and was quoted £42 for them to look at it. Bearing in mind I spend nearly £700 there in the spring for a service, MOT and new brakes I thought they could have done a bit more for me. Anyway I'm leaving it for the time being.

I would be grateful for any similar experiences and ideas as to what the problem might be.
Just to follow up this story. The buzzing noise from my AC did not get any better so today while the car was in Halfords having a puncture repaired I asked them to do their £49 Air con service. They reported 70% of the gas was gone so it was recharged and the noise has disappeared. Well done Halfords!!