Airbag Light not illuminating

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
curty409

Airbag Light not illuminating

Post by curty409 »

Alright guys,

I'm potentially looking at buying a Scirocco in the next week or so and find a good looking motor.
I've had a check on the MOT history which comes back with an advisory for the airbag light not illuminating at all.
Obviously, with MOTs if it's not there it can't be tested, nor can it fail.

Is there any known reason for this?
Also, is there a way that airbags could be checked to ensure they function correctly?

Thanks for your help
Curt
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Airbag Light not illuminating

Post by Cuprabob »

You would need to scan with vcds to see what faults are stored that may point to why the airbag light is not illuminating.
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra
With a: DSG box

Post by Roy_01 »

Yes maybe the previous owner disabled the airbags if you don't see the airbags module in a scan. (Car has been in an accident) or instrument cluster light is faulty.
chelspeed
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Sold it!

Post by chelspeed »

Check the mot rules. Pretty sure the airbag light needs to come on when you turn the ignition on then go out. Same with ABS. Otherwise you could just take the bulb out of the dash if airbags or abs malfunctions. That would not be acceptable to the mot so they test for it.

Seen mot rules on the web but not got a link sorry.
chelspeed
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Sold it!

Post by chelspeed »

Had a proper search and found this https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 7-vehicles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I was right for ABS, the light not working is a fail. But it would seem (section 5.4) that an airbag light not working isn't a fail, only a fail if the air bag light indicates a system malfunction. So if the airbag is knackered take the bulb out and you're fine.
curty409

Post by curty409 »

Thanks for all the help guys!
Going to give this particular one a miss - as said it could have been in an accident so not something I want to risk.

Onto the next one!