59 Plate GT 2.0 TSI Scirocco not starting first time

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Bigtong
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box

59 Plate GT 2.0 TSI Scirocco not starting first time

Post by Bigtong »

Hi all

Just thought I'd post this here in case anyone else has had the sameness problem and could share their experience or if anyone could just help in general.

Bought my car in November last year and it's done 45,000 miles so far, had a full service less than a month ago although I shamefully took it to kwik fit who I've heard from people aren't good at all.

Anywho.. this problem has sort of been happening for a while when I try to start my car usually in a morning very rarely it will just turn over but not actually fully start up. Usually I just turn the key back and try again and it will start up just fine.

However the past week or so the problem seems to have gotten worse and I want to do something about it, today in the morning it didn't start up until the 4th attempt and even then the engine light came on. Pulled over when I realised the light was on turned off and started engine again just fine and light went off.

Plugged a bloke from works fault reader into my car to see if anything came up and there aren't any faults logged in the ecu. Also sometimes whilst trying to turn over in the past it cuts out and stops trying and I get ESP fault on the display.

Cheers for taking time to read this and I appreciate any help! Will also answer questions if there's anymore information people would like/need to know.

Thanks
Rob
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: 59 Plate GT 2.0 TSI Scirocco not starting first time

Post by Cuprabob »

I don't think the ESP fault is connected. You get this when the voltage drops, which it will if the car has to be turned over for a period before starting.

If the EML is coming on, the fault that triggered it will be recorded. Some code readers aren't able to read all the stored faults.

You say it was recently serviced but when we're the plugs last changed?

If it worse at low ambient temperatures it could be the battery. The starter draws a large current which in turn causes the voltage to drop meaning you don't get a good spark.
Bigtong

Post by Bigtong »

Cuprabob wrote:I don't think the ESP fault is connected. You get this when the voltage drops, which it will if the car has to be turned over for a period before starting.

If the EML is coming on, the fault that triggered it will be recorded. Some code readers aren't able to read all the stored faults.

You say it was recently serviced but when we're the plugs last changed?

If it worse at low ambient temperatures it could be the battery. The starter draws a large current which in turn causes the voltage to drop meaning you don't get a good spark.
Cheers for your reply dude, yeah spoke to a few guys at work and they thought that the esp fault was just coming up because of a sort of timeout from turning over for too long.

Yeah I thought the fault would of been triggered the fault reader wasn't anything special, got a buddy with vagcom so might be plugging that in at some point to check again for a fault code.

Went in at kwik fit at the start of February for a 'full' 12 month service. On their website in states that the battery is checked and all spark plugs are replaced, I've also read about instances with kwik fit where such routine parts of the full service don't get carried out which doesn't fill me with a lot of trust.

I've got a multimeter at home so will check the voltage on the battery when I get back just to make sure there's nothing obviously wrong with it but I'm no expert!

Cheers
Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Unless the battery is completely duff it's hard to check just my measuring the voltage. It needs to be tested under load.
Technane
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Deep Black

Post by Technane »

Deof sounds like low voltage or powerdrain? if you have an RNS-510 or RCD has it been upgraded to remove the power drain bug it had?
Bigtong

Post by Bigtong »

Took the car to my buddies with vagcom after work yesterday and checked through any faults that came up, all of the ones that came up seemed to be dated for 2011, not sure if theres an issue with the date in the ecu or whether they were all just genuinely from 2011.

Anyway we cleared the faults so that when the EML comes on again can plug it in and see what comes up. Also tested the battery after the short drive from work to his house and it read 12.4 volts.

That was yesterday, this morning I went down and tested my battery before I started up the car and it was at 12.3 volts, I'm not expert but i think thats alright? or maybe not? also worth mentioning this time the car started up first time just fine.

Now I've literally just nipped out to get some fuel about 6 hours after i started the car up this morning and the problems happened again, barely had even turned the ignition to try turn over and esp fault pops up and then the EML light is back on. Turn the key to the left then back to the right again and car starts up with EML light on. Drove for about 20 yards then just turned ignition off and back on and the light has gone.

Plugged in my little dongle thing that i've got and no faults appeared but will plug into my buddys laptop again and see if anything comes up this time
Bigtong

Post by Bigtong »

Technane wrote:Deof sounds like low voltage or powerdrain? if you have an RNS-510 or RCD has it been upgraded to remove the power drain bug it had?
I've got an RCD 510 i think the basic one without maps but I've got no idea whether its been upgraded or not to be honest, but like i said i tested it after leaving it over night and it only dropped 0.1 volts so that doesnt sound like a powerdrain to me?
Technane
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150

Post by Technane »

Other thing to check is Voltage off is right should be over 12volts, with the car on (Somone may correct me) should be around 14volts tells you the alternator is doing its job and charging!
it being winter, your going to be using a shed load of electric even wit the car running,

Also check the battery see if it has a light on it. might be a push button.
Connorsolle
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160

Post by Connorsolle »

Same thing is happening to my 1.4 tsi at the moment! Would love to find out what it is, I’ve had my air filter changed and still no change, brand new battery no change.