12v socket not working but fuses are good

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
lathajoh
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Indium Grey
With a: Manual box
Options: Winter Pack, Leather Seats, Panoramic Sunroof, RNS 510, Parking Sensors, Dynaudio Sound System, Climate Control, 8JX19 Lugano Alloy Wheels

12v socket not working but fuses are good

Post by lathajoh »

Hi all.

Neither the central console socket nor the one in the boot on my 61reg GT TDi are working. I followed the excellent post on fuses by RW1 and checked fuse SC42 in the side of the dash fuse box. It looked to be intact but I replaced it anyway - no change.
Then I looked at the listings for the engine fusebox as fuse SB30 in my Type A box looks to supply dash fuse 42. That looked good as well but I tried swapping that fuse with SB27 as I didn't have one of those spare. Still no change.

I've checked it's not my USB power adapter by using it in my wife's car.

Any thoughts on where to go next? I did see a post (which I can't now find) from someone who posted "if it's not the fuses see this post" but the link was dead.

Thanks
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." - Douglas Adams
lathajoh
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Indium Grey
Options: Winter Pack, Leather Seats, Panoramic Sunroof, RNS 510, Parking Sensors, Dynaudio Sound System, Climate Control, 8JX19 Lugano Alloy Wheels

Re: 12v socket not working but fuses are good

Post by lathajoh »

Well, just to close the loop it's sorted again. I decided to systematically pull and check every fuse in the dash and found a 20amp fuse blown, replaced it and everything is back and working.
I was going to check which was the strange fuse and post that I'd found a really strange set-up. I double checked the fuse diagrams to find that I had been looking at the wrong one to begin with and it was SC42 that had blown afterall! :rolleyes:

So, plonker of the day award goes to me. Lesson is to count to six (the rows in the fuse box)!

I'll go away again now......
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." - Douglas Adams
Technane
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Deep Black

Post by Technane »

LOL had the same in Vw's in the past they make there Fuse diagrams somewhat misleading or backwards maybe upside down!
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra
With a: DSG box

Post by Roy_01 »

If you pull the fuse you'll see the fuse number :D