Dash / instrument lights

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Andyp
I drive a: R-Line
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Heated leather , Sat nav , 19" Tallageda's

Dash / instrument lights

Post by Andyp »

Hi guys is it possible to code my dash and instrument lights to come on when only side lights are selected ? I find the lights are mostly on main beam with dull days when it's in auto mode , sometimes I don't need the full beam on but would like the dash lights on with the sidelights. Cheers , Andy
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Dash / instrument lights

Post by Cuprabob »

The instrument lights do come on when the sidelights are on.

In fact they come on with the ignition unless there is low ambient light in which case they dim to prompt you to switch on your headlights.
Andyp

Post by Andyp »

It's hardly noticeable on my car when the side lights are on , would prefer it to be as bright as when I have the headlights on as it is a dark centre speedo etc... they won't adjust any brighter in side light mode . What I'm trying to say is in normal daytime conditions I would prefer my side lights on with full brightness on the dash , is this possible ? Cheers
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

On my car, the dash lights are just as bright with the sidelights on as they are with my headlights on.

Sorry, I don't think I can help you as your car seems to be different to mine.
Andyp

Post by Andyp »

Anyone :?
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra
With a: DSG box

Post by Roy_01 »

You'll need a new screen or light sensor i think, how bright is the cluster at night?
Andyp

Post by Andyp »

Roy_01 wrote:You'll need a new screen or light sensor i think, how bright is the cluster at night?
With the side lights on at night the dash isn't lit up , the centre dials for Turbo , oil , and stopwatch are lit though ! Can anyone tell me if their speedo and rev counter light up when just side lights are selected ? Thanks
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra
With a: DSG box

Post by Roy_01 »

Yes thats normal behaviour for safety reasons. Its the trigger you have to switch on your low beams.
Maybe you can compare the brightness with another vw driver?
Andyp

Post by Andyp »

The dash lit up with sidelights on with my Golf Mk5 , my mates Audi does too , just seems a bit odd as even during the day sometimes if it's a bit dull It's very dark on the speedo . It's the First time on any car I've had to put full headlights on just to light the speedo up ! Might look into this further , cheers anyway