CV boot tear

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
daves2369
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: APR Stage 1
Heated Viena Leather,
18" interlagos alloys
RNS510,
Bluetooth 9w7,
Milltek Cat Back,
VWR Intake,
Cruise Control,
Parking sensors,
MK5 R32 345mm Setup,
Headlightretrofits bi-xenon

CV boot tear

Post by daves2369 »

Hi Guys, Just did a full service at ramp it up and noticed one of my CV boots has a tear.

Is it easy enough to do on the scirocco's or should I get a garage to do it?

What sort of price would I be looking at?

Cheers.
blower
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box

Re: CV boot tear

Post by blower »

Not an easy job to do, have done it before myself.

You will need to remove the whole axle and use a puller to remove the CV joint (if it's the outer), the inner one can be even trickier as it requires a shop press to push off the roller joint.....some non dealership garages will smash it off with a hammer and fuck your joint so it fails prematurely.

Then you will need a special metal band compression tool to put the metal securing bands on when fitting the boot.
Attempting to do it with pliers will not get it tight enough an it will leak CV grease over time - this is also common for when a non dealership does it as many garages don't have the tool and botch it with pliers.

The CV boot kit isn't too expensive, but the labour will be a 2-3 hours at least due to having to disassemble the drive shaft and joints.
My golf mk5 had a boot replaced, 2 years later needed to replace whole cv joint as it leaked all the cv grease out over time as the bands were not done up properly.

It's usually cheaper to find the part number of your axle and buy a whole 2nd hand axle from somewhere due to the labour costs of dismantling and rebuilding the axle to change the boot.
daves2369
Heated Viena Leather,
18" interlagos alloys
RNS510,
Bluetooth 9w7,
Milltek Cat Back,
VWR Intake,
Cruise Control,
Parking sensors,
MK5 R32 345mm Setup,

Post by daves2369 »

Cheers Blower :)

Yeah I think I might do that to be honest as replacing the driveshaft looks easy it's just the boots that are a pain!

Might give VW a call see how much they want for one, looked at euro car parts they are £140 for q drive driveshaft but there are some pretty bad reviews!
blower
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box

Post by blower »

Don't touch q drive with a barge pole, complete junk....as for buying a driveshaft from VW, they are about £450, or £350 if you exchange your old one.

In the past I just bought a 2nd hand genuine one from a car breaker on ebay.de for around the £100 mark.
daves2369
Heated Viena Leather,
18" interlagos alloys
RNS510,
Bluetooth 9w7,
Milltek Cat Back,
VWR Intake,
Cruise Control,
Parking sensors,
MK5 R32 345mm Setup,

Post by daves2369 »

Just bought one off a breaker for £125 :) hopefully might get something for my old one also as I imagine it's easy for someone with the correct tools!
wakey1512
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125

Post by wakey1512 »

As someone has mentioned above regarding the boot clips a special tool is required to crimp them tight enough but horseshoe nail pullers will suffice and are available for less than £10 on eBay.