DAB conversion, help with antenna

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Gazzagood
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box

DAB conversion, help with antenna

Post by Gazzagood »

Hi guys,

I need help from people that have done an RNS 510 DAB upgrade in their scirocco, I had the older 510, but now have a new dab version. My problem is with the dab antenna.

So I purchased this amplifier - http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-aerial-ampl ... id672.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is what everyone says you need, which is fine. And I found a picture of someone saying you need to change it, I have the same amplifier on my car as what is in this picture below, with the little bit of wire coming off and needing to be plugged in.

My issue is, how on earth are people plugging this amplifier in? I have the same connector on my car cable as what is on the new amplifier... Picture of the new amplifier plug:

I basically have that plug on the new amplifier, and the car loom that I need to plug into the amplifier???

Am I missing an adapter wire or something? I just cannot see how I can plug this in!

Please help, as it stands I have a dab radio with fm only! lol
blower
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box

Re: DAB conversion, help with antenna

Post by blower »

I had the same issue with my dab upgrade....

I broke off the outer plastic connector from each of the antenna connectors and just pushed them into the aerial amplifier - they do hold themselves via the metal connector. I wrapped them in tape to make sure they didn't shake out.

Unfortunately i cannot remember which one on the amplifier is for the dab and which is for the fm aerial....i did work it out from some info from somewhere, but i suggest you just trial and error it - it won't damage anything.

Also make sure you get a good contact between the back metal tab on the amplifier and the chassis - it needs that ground to operate properly. My amplifier didn't fit properly on my golf mk6 - but i believe i had the wrong version, i just modified the metal bracket to get it to fit.
Gazzagood

Post by Gazzagood »

Thanks mate, I tried what you said already but the problem is both the connectors have male ends so they won't plug in. However after hours of searching last night I finally have it sussed i believe.

For anyone else looking to do this you need the following bits:

Adapter for the back of the RNS 510 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360808733867? ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cable to route to the DAB amplifier - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231735378712? ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This will allow you to plug in the dab amplifier. I likely need another cable for the left side amplifier, but that would be for fm only, so I will see how this goes on dab first.

Will post updates once the cables turn up.
Gazzagood

Post by Gazzagood »

Well that didn't work! I can connect my amplifier to the radio now but the dab aerial still shows an "open" state. Tried grounding the amplifier but that seemed to do nothing either :(

Lost with this! Going to visit a local car audio place and see what they say.
Viking
I drive a: Haven't decided yet
Options: None

Post by Viking »

The black plug on the rear of the RNS510 is the DAB aerial connector, you know? Are you connecting this to anything?
Gazzagood

Post by Gazzagood »

Shit I never even saw that!!! Just googled a picture of the back, feeling a bit red faced right now lol. Will try that when home!
Viking

Post by Viking »

That might help a bit... 8)
Gazzagood

Post by Gazzagood »

Viking wrote:That might help a bit... 8)
Haha! Doh, home in half hour I will check. It was driving me insane, getting perfect FM signal but no dab. Certainly would explain it!
Gazzagood

Post by Gazzagood »

So it turns out if you plug the antenna into the dab port on the radio it works :D

Viking

Post by Viking »

There we go.

I was kinda hoping you didn't come back and say you haven't got a black plug on the back of yours...
Gazzagood

Post by Gazzagood »

Viking wrote:There we go.

I was kinda hoping you didn't come back and say you haven't got a black plug on the back of yours...
The amount I paid for it (was brand new) I would be very upset if that was the case!!

Thanks for your help mate, just completely missed the plug as the old one didn't have it, wasn't thinking :P Cars all finally back together! Woo
blower
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Reflex Silver

Post by blower »

Roy: Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Yes
Roy: Is it plugged in?

:D
Gazzagood

Post by Gazzagood »

blower wrote:Roy: Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Yes
Roy: Is it plugged in?

:D
:clap: :cry: oops!
Craigb01
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Viper Green

Post by Craigb01 »

Hi I realise this is a fairly old conversation but I’m doing the same thing going from a non DAB 510 to one with thing is most of the links are out of date I’ve got a 1k8035552F amplifier coming but it doesn’t come with any cables so could somebody give me links to the cables I will need thanks
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra

Post by Roy_01 »

Just read the topic