App Connect Retro Activation

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
chogster
I drive a: R-Line
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Keyless Entry
19" Lugano Black Alloys

App Connect Retro Activation

Post by chogster »

Has anybody successfully retrospectively activated the app connect feature post purchase of their Scirocco?

I've recently purchased a new 65 plate R-line which has a MIB II head unit fitted & upon selection of app connect the screen prompts me to contact my main dealer for an activation key. The problem is that my VW dealer is telling me that regardless of this message, the app connect feature is not available as a retro mod on my vehicle?

Surely this is just a case of simply unlocking the feature via a code?
bitmadmax

Re: App Connect Retro Activation

Post by bitmadmax »

There were apparently 2 versions of the MIB2. The early one wont allow retro activation. The more recent version should be able to handle dealer activation. As long as it actually gives you the option to enter the software key your unit sounds capable. I would try another dealer...
Golf 7R
Gone: Scirocco R
VCDS available
chelspeed
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Sold it!

Post by chelspeed »

Mine was done from new but may help. My dealer pointed me at a website. I put in the VIN code for the car and the website gave me a code which I punched into the head unit. Think it was here.
chogster
19" Lugano Black Alloys

Post by chogster »

Thanks Chelspeed, that link is for the car app feature. This probably activates both the car app & app connect if ordered from build.

My dealer appears to be pretty clueless when it comes to app connect. After much confusion over what app connect actually is, they eventually indentified it & sent me the attached literature which confirms a retro fit can be done for £213 if the screen prompt request dealer activation as mine does.

After I enquired if I could get this activated with discount in mind having just purchased 2 x new cars (a mk 7 Golf for the Mrs), I was informed that it can't actually be done retrospectively & that several other customers are experiencing the same issue.

I think taking bitmadmax's advise and trying an alternative dealer may be the best option, or contacting VW tech support directly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TheHandicap
In: Ultra Violet

Post by TheHandicap »

Sorry to bring this topic back up but i have just bought a 65 plate scirocco with the mib2 unit. I asked my local dealee and they want £220 for the code and £130 to install it. Can anyone recomend a dealer to go to to get it at the right price because my local deal is charging extortionate prices.

Thanks
chogster
19" Lugano Black Alloys

Post by chogster »

£350 is pretty steep for this functionality.

If you Google the App Connect part No (5G0054830A) it appears to be available on Ebay via Germany for £171 - this may be worth researching a little. You may be able to chop down the £130 installation fee by finding an alternative VAG mechanic to install the code as you've mentioned.

I still do not have this installed on my vehicle as my dealer claims that the software code blocks are not available due to my vehicle being too new (Dec 15)?

Unless they have become available within the last few months, you may be in the same boat?
TheHandicap
In: Ultra Violet

Post by TheHandicap »

chogster wrote:£350 is pretty steep for this functionality.

If you Google the App Connect part No (5G0054830A) it appears to be available on Ebay via Germany for £171 - this may be worth researching a little. You may be able to chop down the £130 installation fee by finding an alternative VAG mechanic to install the code as you've mentioned.

I still do not have this installed on my vehicle as my dealer claims that the software code blocks are not available due to my vehicle being too new (Dec 15)?

Unless they have become available within the last few months, you may be in the same boat?
I thought so, well ive just been informed that my scirroco hasnt got the correct system to be able to install app connect even though it's the discover nav. Is there 2 generations of the discover nav as they are saying i have the 1st gen (on a november 15 scirocco) that can't have app connect installed. Is this the same with you?

Not too sure on this sort of stuff really.