o2 Sensor or Cat?

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
deenluke
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

o2 Sensor or Cat?

Post by deenluke »

Having had the EML come on a few weeks back along with a really bad smell of fuel, I went over to Mr OCD who plugged it into his VCDS. It flagged up P0420 bank 1 and promptly went into a garage for a repair, we changed the injector seals and refitted the intake manifold properly which had been shockingly fitted by a halfords garage under an AA warranty. This has stopped the fuel smell which is great but this morning the EML came back on. The car seems to run well enough but it needs sorting, now would you folks point to a new Cat or an o2 sensor first?

I'm used to older cars where I can just pick up second hand spares and fit them myself to diagnose a fault but a new o2 sensor and cat for a 2.0 tsi is pretty damn expensive if it doesn't solve the issue.

What would you guys do? Are the o2 sensors the same part in these as the 1.4 tsi or any of the other VAG motors? If so I might have a better chance of finding one in a scrap yard and getting a cheap sensor to try.

Cheers!