advice on radio please

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
geronimo
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Pewter Grey
With a: Manual box

advice on radio please

Post by geronimo »

hi
last night some scroates smashed my 2009 tdi rocco passenger window and took my radio.
getting window fixed today but unsure how to go about raplecement sound system,
it had 6 cd player,also had the reverse warning on it and standard radio,not dab.
do i go through insurance and find my premiums bumped up,
or for the cost of the excess buy 2nd hand?
how do i spot a good one?
what about the chinese ones?
im worried about forking out a lot of money only to find that it get stolen again.
in anticiapatiopn of a reply,thank you
Phil
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Night Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Recaro Seats, 19" VW Savannah Wheels, KW DDC Coilovers,R8 Coil Packs, Revo High Flow Intake, Milltek 3.00" Turbo-Back & Hi-Flow Sports Cat, GFB DV+, Rtech PCV Delete, Rtech Stage 2,Remap & Linear Throttle, Rtech Custom DSG Remap, PolarFIS Advanced, Forge Twintercooler

Re: advice on radio please

Post by Phil »

was it the 3 buttons either side??

if so that is the rcd510, and I just sold mine for 80 pounds. Second hand would be the way to go, and as for getting done twice you would be very very unlucky...

Benny1703 has one for sale at the moment - http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 10#p175048" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

do you have all of the screws, facia and wiring still in tact?
Phil
Viking
I drive a: Haven't decided yet
Options: None

Post by Viking »

I would buy second hand personally, and forget the insurance. As said, you can get a head unit for less than your excess anyway so no point bothering with insurance and then having your premiums jumped up.

Looking on Ebay, all the ones which are Buy It Now at about £80 are chinese imported units. They lack features which the EU spec ones have (like RDS for a start). Easy to spot because they have a single button on the top at either side rather than the twin buttons on the EU spec units.

This is a chinese spec unit. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231741187401" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is an EU spec unit. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321911785804" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
geronimo

Post by geronimo »

cheers phil,its sold.
thanks viking
sorry for sounding thick but
am i correct in only buying 2nd hand if it has the code,or is this no longer required?
Cuprabob
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Yes, only buy if it has the code with it. If the headunit is fitted to car other than the one it left the factory in, it will request a code.
Viking
I drive a: Haven't decided yet
Options: None

Post by Viking »

It's always best to buy one with the code. That way you at least know that the seller either knew the code from when the car was new or got it from the dealers or suchlike, or the seller has made half an effort to sell the thing and has bought the code from one of the many ebay sellers.

You could buy one without a code, then try getting it, and find out the unit is on a blacklist as stolen (a good few went missing from dealer raids in the car parks before the dealers started removing them while parked on display), but personally I'd be looking for a code with the unit. After all, if the seller is half genuine they'll want to sell it with as little hassle as possible.

£80 for a genuine EU spec one like sold on here was silly cheap. There's a damaged one on ebay (broken screen) for spares or repair at about £100...
V5pdt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

Post by V5pdt »

I have one for sale, can get details for you on the weekend when I'm back from work!
It's an rcd510 I think!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
geronimo

Post by geronimo »

Cheers
Look forward to hearing from you