Updating built in Sat-Nav

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
tamara_d
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

Updating built in Sat-Nav

Post by tamara_d »

Hi Everyone

New to the forum, only purchased our new baby at the weekend.

Been trying to research how to update the built in sat nav and got a shocking quote from VW of £145.00 for a disc. I was appalled, especially at this is more than the cost of a tom tom sat nav and free updates for 5 years.

Can these only be bought from VW? Is there any work around?

I was told the updates can be done via SD Card and CD is this correct?

Many Thanks
charliegilmanuk
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: RNS 510 with rear parking sensors and retrofitted VW OEM bluetooth 7P6 (M)
Full heated leather interior
Cruise control
Metal pedal set
Bi-Xenon OEM retrofit with LED DRL and 6000k D1S
Full LED interior, LED sidelights

Re: Updating built in Sat-Nav

Post by charliegilmanuk »

First you should update the firmware, there are also a couple links on this thread on how to do the maps as well: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index ... ic=23779.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
robinalex
I drive a: GTS TSI
With a: Manual box
Options: Cruise control
Pano Roof
RNS315
Winter pack (heated seats / headlight washers)
Tyre Pressure Monitor
Electric seats
Parking Sensors
Bi-Xenon headlights with cornering lights
K&N filter
H&R 35mm
12.5mm Black anodised hubcentric spacers
Milltek Non-res catback
R-Tech Stage 1

Post by robinalex »

What model head unit? RNS510 / RNS315 etc. Age of car?
tamara_d

Post by tamara_d »

Its 2010. Not sure would need to check when in the car which version it is. Thanks
Plyphon
Options: ALL THE OPTIONS

Post by Plyphon »

I did mine via DVD and it cost me all of £2 for 2 of the DVDs to do so.

Obviously the download of the mapping data was cheeky but it can be found on Google easily enough - there is a forum dedicated to it. Google "rns510 maps v12" and look at the top hit.

I also did the software at the same time which wen't without a hitch. The link was posted above.

Good luck!
tamara_d

Post by tamara_d »

Is it easy enough to do yourself? How long did it take? Just dont want to mess up the system but nor do i want to pay VW £150 for a dvd/cd
robinalex
I drive a: GTS TSI
Options: Cruise control
Pano Roof
RNS315
Winter pack (heated seats / headlight washers)
Tyre Pressure Monitor
Electric seats
Parking Sensors
Bi-Xenon headlights with cornering lights
K&N filter
H&R 35mm
12.5mm Black anodised hubcentric spacers
Milltek Non-res catback
R-Tech Stage 1

Post by robinalex »

Took me a good two or three hours researching on the internet, checking model number etc to find out exactly what maps and firmware needed for my unit then about an hour to burn the firmware onto DVD and upload
Wright92
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Rising Blue
Options: All of them

Post by Wright92 »

If i was you, i'd get the firmware and burn that to a CD then update - i did the 5238 version from http://www.my-gti.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - and then id buy the disk from ebay for £9.99 for the maps. I tried trawling the internet for maps and all i did was infect my computer with a virus that installed spam software onto my PC which when removed installed 3 more. So it wasn't long before my PC was rendered useless. Working within IT i never make this mistake, but because i got so desperate, I got sloppy. You should upgrade using the downloads on my-gti and then buy the maps disk from Ebay.
House
In: Indium Grey
Options: Panoramic Sunroof, Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Leather seats

Post by House »

Is there an easy way to find out what version I am currently on??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Viking
I drive a: Haven't decided yet
Options: None

Post by Viking »

Careful updating firmwares. Might end up with a brick. As for maps, I've just done mine yesterday with the new maps.

Concerning which maps you have, you can press and hold the "Setup" button for about 15 - 20 seconds and see if you have the developer menu (Test Mode) enabled. It'll give you firmware and maps versions data in there. If not, then VCDS to enable test mode or read the units data .
roccopanda
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150

Post by roccopanda »

Assuming this can only be done with the RNS510? I have an RNS315 in my 2013 Rocco, are my only options either pay VW or get an RNS510?
Viking

Post by Viking »

Essentially, yes. There are some sellers on Ebay who can supply updated maps but even then it's not cheap, and they're still genuine maps SD cards.
House

Post by House »

Hi all,

So I am unable to get version details by pressing and holding the setup button, and I don't have VCDS. What is to stop me just downloading the most recent firmware version for the RNS510 and giving it a go? Or do you need to update it in stages? Anyone tried this?
Viking

Post by Viking »

You can load "5238 modified" whatever unit you have. After that you'll need the latest maps version to reload as you'll probably have wiped them with the upgrade.

However, there's a possibility of bricking the unit whenever you do a software update. If it fails you can end up with a nice paperweight. Make sure your battery has plenty of charge before you start etc.
House

Post by House »

Thanks for the advice. Now decide whether the benefits outweigh the risk of bricking the device :-s

dimexi
Options: Parking Sensors

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep
Comfort indicator blinks adjusted to 4
Windows close via rain sensor

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
Self installed VW OEM Bluetooth 7P6(L)
Self installed Cruise Control
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

You shouldnt brick your unit with 5238 modified ie that should work with all units.

The Editor of that firmware (some geezer called Josi), adapted it to work with all units by rewriting bits of the code. all you have to do is find the correct firmware
Viking

Post by Viking »

dimexi wrote:You shouldnt brick your unit with 5238 modified ie that should work with all units.

The Editor of that firmware (some geezer called Josi), adapted it to work with all units by rewriting bits of the code. all you have to do is find the correct firmware
And that's the problem really. Downloading and installing something which someone random somewhere has modified to make more better is not often the best way forwards. If you end up with a brick, I doubt very much Josi will send you a replacement unit, hence my guarded warning earlier.
charliegilmanuk
Options: RNS 510 with rear parking sensors and retrofitted VW OEM bluetooth 7P6 (M)
Cruise control
Metal pedal set

House wrote:Thanks for the advice. Now decide whether the benefits outweigh the risk of bricking the device :-s

They say a more reliable method of upgrading the firmware is to not jump too many versions all at once. I upgraded mine from 1xxx to 3810 in one jump and it went perfectly, also mine now shows all the version info using the method described above.

What is your actual reason for upgrading the firmware?
I've found the 3810 firmware to do everything I need, added a few features. I'm also now running v10 maps on it with no problems.

After you've done the 3810 update, depending on what hardware version your RNS 510 is, you could then go on to load 5238.
Personally on mine I'm not going to, it's a very early version B (LCD) unit and it was never intended to have versions later than 4000 put on it, there have been reports of it overheating otherwise, from the software "pushing the hardware too hard"
House

Post by House »

charliegilmanuk wrote: They say a more reliable method of upgrading the firmware is to not jump too many versions all at once. I upgraded mine from 1xxx to 3810 in one jump and it went perfectly, also mine now shows all the version info using the method described above.

What is your actual reason for upgrading the firmware?
I've found the 3810 firmware to do everything I need, added a few features. I'm also now running v10 maps on it with no problems.

After you've done the 3810 update, depending on what hardware version your RNS 510 is, you could then go on to load 5238.
Personally on mine I'm not going to, it's a very early version B (LCD) unit and it was never intended to have versions later than 4000 put on it, there have been reports of it overheating otherwise, from the software "pushing the hardware too hard"
So my main reasons are:

- Playing songs via Bluetooth from my iPhone 6, does not display track info, or provide the ability to skip tracks. Not sure if it will fix this, but you never know.
- Would like the ability to view version info etc.
- Would like to update the maps
- Always like to have the most recent version of software, otherwise I feel I might be missing out :hyper:
charliegilmanuk
Cruise control
Metal pedal set

House wrote: So my main reasons are:

- Playing songs via Bluetooth from my iPhone 6, does not display track info, or provide the ability to skip tracks. Not sure if it will fix this, but you never know.
- Would like the ability to view version info etc.
- Would like to update the maps
- Always like to have the most recent version of software, otherwise I feel I might be missing out :hyper:
  • 3810 fixed this for me, will fix all these problems.
  • 3810 fixed this.
  • I'm now running V10 (2014 if I recall correctly) maps with my 3810, so pretty recent, can probably go higher but it's all I could find at the time, not worth looking for the amount that I actually use it, Google Maps/Navigation on my windscreen mounted and bluetoothed phone is far superior :P
  • As with all technology, up to date software requires up to date hardware to run efficiently, as said above, check your hardware version (physically pull the unit out, doesn't take long) because that will determine what version of software you can run really. I'm only saying pull it out because my unit actually says it's hardware version H in the menus, but I know 100% that it's the old version B.